Sponsored

Rockslide Engineering Steps Gen 3

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
They have a standalone harness now, but my buddy did the install so can't comment there. What I will say -- these steps are wonderful. But if you're wheeling hard all the time, I'd probably still go with a frame mounted weld on slider. I don't wheel all that often anymore, so the steps are great for me. But I tend to break something internally on them once every 3-6 months (still works usually; just noisier). Not their fault; there has to be an opening for the step to slide down and that's just the weak point if you hit it. It's a great compromise overall and replacing the internals as needed is still inexpensive and simple. I have them on my 392 and Gladiator.
Sponsored

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
They have a standalone harness now, but my buddy did the install so can't comment there. What I will say -- these steps are wonderful. But if you're wheeling hard all the time, I'd probably still go with a frame mounted weld on slider. I don't wheel all that often anymore, so the steps are great for me. But I tend to break something internally on them once every 3-6 months (still works usually; just noisier). Not their fault; there has to be an opening for the step to slide down and that's just the weak point if you hit it. It's a great compromise overall and replacing the internals as needed is still inexpensive and simple. I have them on my 392 and Gladiator.
good review here and perspective.

i added them on my JLU Rubicon, and also opted to add the armor casing on it… so if and when I drop it hard on a rock the armor will take the major hit.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
good review here and perspective.

i added them on my JLU Rubicon, and also opted to add the armor casing on it… so if and when I drop it hard on a rock the armor will take the major hit.
Both of mine have the extra armor casing btw.

Reactions: TJP

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Both of mine have the extra armor casing btw.
But did you have as much fun as I did installing the armor upgrade? Lol I had some time lining up the passenger side. The driver went on embarrassingly well… :)

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But did you have as much fun as I did installing the armor upgrade? Lol I had some time lining up the passenger side. The driver went on embarrassingly well… :)
Lol no fun was had on my part; my buddy did the install.

Sponsored

allwarnout

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon JL with etorque V6 engine
I think they run a complete standalone harness from what I’ve been seeing in my research.
The harness coming from the battery is held to the passenger side underneath the body and zip tied to the OEM wire harness with supplied zip ties and a metal wire clamp and supplied bolt. You knock out plastic body plugs to run the door sensor's on both rear sides. The power wires are then zip tied to the cross member just in front of the rear tires. The driver's side wires for the sensors and the on-off switch are run under the plastic sill panel's. The wiring is the easiest part of install. Loosing the body bolts is the very tricky part! They are lock tighted from the factory! Very scary because they "snap" pretty much all the way out!
For this reason.... I paid $900 to get mine installed by WFO.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Has anyone had the steps go “limp”? We left the Jeep unattended for 2 weeks and the battery went dead. We charged it back up, but as soon as we put the charger on it they started to do a kickin chicken kind of a thing going back and forth 20+ times but eventually stopped going in and out.

So then after everything was charged up the drivers side when it is extended was not rock solid when open all the time and kinda freely swung like it was going forwards.

any ideas?

84jeepjohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 JLUR 392, 84 CJ7, 2005 Z71 Burb
The harness coming from the battery is held to the passenger side underneath the body and zip tied to the OEM wire harness with supplied zip ties and a metal wire clamp and supplied bolt. You knock out plastic body plugs to run the door sensor's on both rear sides. The power wires are then zip tied to the cross member just in front of the rear tires. The driver's side wires for the sensors and the on-off switch are run under the plastic sill panel's. The wiring is the easiest part of install. Loosing the body bolts is the very tricky part! They are lock tighted from the factory! Very scary because they "snap" pretty much all the way out!
For this reason.... I paid $900 to get mine installed by WFO.
I picked up one of these to assist. and I'm sure I can find MULTIPLE uses on my 84 CJ LOL
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0851C6Q22?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Jeep Wrangler JL Rockslide Engineering Steps Gen 3 Capture.PNG

Barney392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Has anyone had the steps go “limp”? We left the Jeep unattended for 2 weeks and the battery went dead. We charged it back up, but as soon as we put the charger on it they started to do a kickin chicken kind of a thing going back and forth 20+ times but eventually stopped going in and out.

So then after everything was charged up the drivers side when it is extended was not rock solid when open all the time and kinda freely swung like it was going forwards.

any ideas?
Remove the fuse for the steps and wait a short time and reinstall. This should force them to re-calibrate.

Ct_Formula

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JL, 2011 JK Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Self Employed
Barney you are the man!!!! Thanks