RockJock (Currie) Tow Bar Base Plate

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Wrangler Rubicon,
Looking for some pros, cons or reviews on the RockJock base plate for the JL with the Mopar steel bumpers.
There have been some very good write ups on the RockJock base plate‘s for the JL’s with the plastic bumpers, which is different base plate than the one used on the JL’s with the steel bumpers. Captain Skip had a good write up on the plate for plastic bumpers with quite few pics and measurements.
So looking for the same information on the base plates on the JL with steel bumpers.

Thanks ahead
Bruce
Sponsored

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon Unlimited
We have it for almost 2 years now. Works great. With the steel bumper it is super easy install. You just unbolt the stock skid plate the rock jock bolts to the bumper and then to large bolts on each side to the frame. Blue ox tow bar hooks right up..

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only picture I have right now

20200516_150453.jpg

OP
OP
Bruceter

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strubi, thanks for the review and picture. I see you have a winch mounted as well. Can you tell me which winch plate you used with the RockJock base plate?

Bruce

STRUBI

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strubi, thanks for the review and picture. I see you have a winch mounted as well. Can you tell me which winch plate you used with the RockJock base plate?

Bruce
Sorry I didn't see your question. We are using rusty offroad winch plate

Sponsored

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
Another very satisfied RockJock base plate owner, very well engineered and built, fit and finish are top rate.
Pretty much the same setup as Strubi, factory steel bumper, SmittyBilt X2O 10,000 on Rusty's winch plate and RockJock tow plate. One of the reasons I chose Rusty's winch plate is that it mounts behind the bumper flange and does not move the bumper forward as many other winch plates do. Keeping the tow plate a simple easy bolt on installation. Using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with Blue Ox adapters and a DIY "cooltech" style tow light harness using a relay instead of a switch to change from tow to drive mode.

IMG-1846.jpg

IMG-1915.jpg

IMG-1916.jpg

OP
OP
Bruceter

Bruceter

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up pictures of your set up gm920. I do like the way the Smittybilt winch and base plate keep the winch tucked down low in the bumper. I didn’t realize some of the base plates moved the bumper out, thanks for pointing that out.
From a previous toad I have a Roadmaster tow bar with Blue Ox adapters so it will fasten right up to the RockJock base plate. And also reusing an RVi3 brake system that worked really well for me.

Bruce

RKissane

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUW
Another very satisfied RockJock base plate owner, very well engineered and built, fit and finish are top rate.
Pretty much the same setup as Strubi, factory steel bumper, SmittyBilt X2O 10,000 on Rusty's winch plate and RockJock tow plate. One of the reasons I chose Rusty's winch plate is that it mounts behind the bumper flange and does not move the bumper forward as many other winch plates do. Keeping the tow plate a simple easy bolt on installation. Using the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with Blue Ox adapters and a DIY "cooltech" style tow light harness using a relay instead of a switch to change from tow to drive mode.

Jeep Wrangler JL RockJock (Currie) Tow Bar Base Plate IMG-1916

In your above pictures, I do not see any safety chains from the hitch. How did you handle this with the Currie plate?

Thanks,

Ray

gm920

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLUR Billet Silver
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician (Retired)
In your above pictures, I do not see any safety chains from the hitch. How did you handle this with the Currie plate?

Thanks,

Ray
The blue plastic coated safety cables attach to the base plate just aft and inboard of the tow bar attach point, you can see the holes in the first picture.

Sponsored

Z06

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Wrangler JLU diesel
Occupation
Retired
Mounted a Rock Jock tow plate to my diesel JL Sport today. Took my time as I was on my own. Took me about 3.5 hours. And you do have to cut about 3/8” x 10“ of metal off each end of the steel bumper liner inside the plastic bumpers. This allows the RJ to set into the bumper onto the frame mounting bolts. Towbar attachment holes are 16 1/2” ground to center.
Jeep Wrangler JL RockJock (Currie) Tow Bar Base Plate 0E14D648-A6D6-45BE-8486-29AFA2C8BE10
Jeep Wrangler JL RockJock (Currie) Tow Bar Base Plate 16FAB8CF-F0E5-4C63-87C6-DF9FD9D66B5F

19 JLUR Bright Whit3

First Name
Zeke
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Stretched 2 door Rubi (LOL)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Punisher
Vehicle Showcase
I had the Blue Ox tow bar. It worked great. I did trim the edges off the steel sway bar skid plate though. I took it off recently because we decided to sell the Motorhome.

Jeep Wrangler JL RockJock (Currie) Tow Bar Base Plate 1649816980033

RubiBlueJLU

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel
Occupation
Structural Technician
2021 JLURD. Stock Aftermarket Kuafu steel front bumper off of Amazon. It came with a winch plate. I used that mount.
RockJock base plate for the steel bumper. Since I ordered with plastic bumpers, I had to add nuts/bolts to the horns, as there were no rivnuts installed.
Base plate bolted right up. Everything aligned, even the bolts to the bumper. The winch plate stayed in place and didn’t interfere with the base plate.

701A0041-2FFB-4E41-A625-42C4EBA0D2B9.jpeg

B05328FD-1826-4614-85CD-3CF1413BF9BA.jpeg

CDCE69C8-BEDD-4785-AECF-F5EFE19A0C73.jpeg

7F616729-8ACE-4A7E-A956-FD2824AE742F.jpeg

7253D76F-A4B1-44EC-975F-FAAD11EE41CD.jpeg
Sponsored