Sponsored

Rockhard 4x4 Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Installed a rockhard 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier this weekend, won't go into details with the install as the instructions are pretty good. I went with it because I like how it integrates the license plate were most other you need to mount it either sticking out the side waiting for tree strikes on in the spare tire and adding things needed to get at the spare, also I like how they moved the trailer hookup into the bumper so it is no longer a rock magnet. It also has a mount for a hilift and a cb antenna which is a nice plus.

Nice things I noticed after taking delivery:
very solid build 1/4 steel throughout, the rear is angled in for better departure angle but the extend down to cover the pinch seams of the tub, trys to use as much stick stuff as possible, uses a car door latch for sturdy connection with easy release.

Notes about the installation:
It's pretty straight forward if you have installed a rear bumper and tire carrier before. It does use the rear camera, 3rd brake light, backup sensors, and license plate light so you will need to spend time harvesting those parts and the plate light is held in with threaded plastic studs with shitty stamped nuts so the break off easy but I was able to zip tie it into place using the plug as the anchor. This like a lot of tire carriers needs fine tune adjustment after installing it to reduce rattle but it is not bad, though I have the tire the lowest I would like it and the the mounting plate for the tire arm to the swing arm blocks a hole for mounting a rubber stopper that picks up the slack. Easy fix just drill a new hole just a step to do.

Driving around:
Just took it on a quick run, it is pretty quiet but I really need to adjust it and dial in the setup to pick the slack and the give you many ways to do that. The tire sits up much higher than stock so I will need to get use to that.

IMG_20190707_143943.jpg

IMG_20190707_124853.jpg

IMG_20190707_124948.jpg

IMG_20190707_143914.jpg

IMG_20190707_143919.jpg

IMG_20190707_143925.jpg
Sponsored

Biconia

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
hi there if you dont mind sharing your wheel Brand , specs ? please

thanks !

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah anytime I put a 7-pin on a truck I drill a hole somewhere in the license plate area/center step.

Most OEM's have finally figured out to not put the plug under the bumper next to the receiver, it's a sure-fire way to mangle it. I don't fault Jeep so much on the factory bumpers 'cause there's just no good place to put it, and putting it in the face of the bumper just guarantees you'll back into it. Needs a recessed pocket of some sort

OP
OP

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
hi there if you dont mind sharing your wheel Brand , specs ? please

thanks !
the wheel is a generic soft 8 style steel wheel nothing special 17x8 4.5" backspacing tires are 315/70-R70 BFG KM3s

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
After a few months now, how do you like the rear bumper? I am looking at that one for my wife's JL now. They seem to be pretty reasonably priced for the build and what they include.

Installed a rockhard 4x4 rear bumper with tire carrier this weekend, won't go into details with the install as the instructions are pretty good. I went with it because I like how it integrates the license plate were most other you need to mount it either sticking out the side waiting for tree strikes on in the spare tire and adding things needed to get at the spare, also I like how they moved the trailer hookup into the bumper so it is no longer a rock magnet. It also has a mount for a hilift and a cb antenna which is a nice plus.

Nice things I noticed after taking delivery:
very solid build 1/4 steel throughout, the rear is angled in for better departure angle but the extend down to cover the pinch seams of the tub, trys to use as much stick stuff as possible, uses a car door latch for sturdy connection with easy release.

Notes about the installation:
It's pretty straight forward if you have installed a rear bumper and tire carrier before. It does use the rear camera, 3rd brake light, backup sensors, and license plate light so you will need to spend time harvesting those parts and the plate light is held in with threaded plastic studs with shitty stamped nuts so the break off easy but I was able to zip tie it into place using the plug as the anchor. This like a lot of tire carriers needs fine tune adjustment after installing it to reduce rattle but it is not bad, though I have the tire the lowest I would like it and the the mounting plate for the tire arm to the swing arm blocks a hole for mounting a rubber stopper that picks up the slack. Easy fix just drill a new hole just a step to do.

Driving around:
Just took it on a quick run, it is pretty quiet but I really need to adjust it and dial in the setup to pick the slack and the give you many ways to do that. The tire sits up much higher than stock so I will need to get use to that.

IMG_20190707_143943.jpg

IMG_20190707_124853.jpg

IMG_20190707_124948.jpg

IMG_20190707_143914.jpg

IMG_20190707_143919.jpg

IMG_20190707_143925.jpg

Sponsored

Captainkyle85

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I am also curious how you still feel about your bumper @Sheepjeep ? Looking at the same one for my JL

OP
OP

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am still very happy with it, hold up great on and off the trail.

I have noticed and expected to happen but the rubber stopper in the swing arm near the latch has rubbed the paint off in that spot nothing you can do about it and really haven't rusted up as it rubs of rust as it forms so a non issue just as you see when you open the swing arm.

Another thing to note is the tire blocks your review visibility but you get use to it and with the backup camera not something that really negative.

A benefit that I was not expecting was the lens of the backup camera seems to start clearer from dust with how the tire is angled it must keep dust and salt blowing away as you go down the road.

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited
@Sheepjeep, have you towed at all with this bumper? I never did purchase one but have noticed that the receiver is at the top of the bumper. Seems like it would be blocked or at least have clearance issues with the spare? I am making a decision tomorrow between this and a couple of Smittybilts with tire carrier. Thanks for your help!

OP
OP

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Sheepjeep, have you towed at all with this bumper? I never did purchase one but have noticed that the receiver is at the top of the bumper. Seems like it would be blocked or at least have clearance issues with the spare? I am making a decision tomorrow between this and a couple of Smittybilts with tire carrier. Thanks for your help!
I have towed a few times with it, no issues with the spare getting in the way always been able to hitch up. I run a drop hitch so that helps but also you can raise the tire up on the carrier and it is angled back a bit.

Best photo I have but proof it towes
Jeep Wrangler JL Rockhard 4x4 Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier IMG_20200327_093531
Sponsored