Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
wired mine up last night. Can you provide some guidance on how you’re doing the winch controls? I’ll be installing a winch at the end of the month.
Do you know what winch you’re going to be getting? And if so, whether the handheld controller has a 3-pin or 5-pin plug?
Sponsored

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab (Black on Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know what winch you’re going to be getting? And if so, whether the handheld controller has a 3-pin or 5-pin plug?
TBH, I don't konw if it is a 3 or 5-pin. I'm getting a Smittybilt Gen 3 XRC 12k winch. Hoping to order next week and if in stock (it is currently), hoping to install the following weekend.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
TBH, I don't konw if it is a 3 or 5-pin. I'm getting a Smittybilt Gen 3 XRC 12k winch. Hoping to order next week and if in stock (it is currently), hoping to install the following weekend.
Well, if it is a 3-pin, it is pretty straightforward. You'll need to by a Contura V-Series rocker switch that is (ON)/OFF/(ON), the (ON) signifying "momentary" operation. This will replace 2 of your existing Voswitch switches, essentially leaving you with 7 usable slots. Hook the momentary switch up to two of the signal wires inside the control panel, and then your two chosen Voswitch outputs will be tapped into the "IN" and "OUT" wires inside your winch. It would be a good idea to also use a slot for a "Winch Power" switch. Wire this switch so it supplies power to the (ON)/OFF/(ON) switch to prevent inadvertent operation of your winch.

If it is a 5-pin, it is slightly more complex. The (ON)/OFF/(ON) rocker switch will still be wired the same, but the "Winch Power" switch will need to be wired a little differently. On a 5-pin winch controller, the 4th and 5th pins are used to complete a ground circuit to help prevent the urban legend paperclip catastrophe from occurring. Since the Voswitch can only output a 12V+ signal, you need an additional relay added into the system. This relay will be activated by the Voswitch output, but will supply a ground signal to the winch rather than the typical 12V+ that relays usually get used for.

if this all sounds foreign to you, I'll try to explain it a little better in a new thread that I'll be putting together specifically on wiring in-cab controls for a Warn Zeon winch.

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, if it is a 3-pin, it is pretty straightforward. You'll need to by a Contura V-Series rocker switch that is (ON)/OFF/(ON), the (ON) signifying "momentary" operation. This will replace 2 of your existing Voswitch switches, essentially leaving you with 7 usable slots. Hook the momentary switch up to two of the signal wires inside the control panel, and then your two chosen Voswitch outputs will be tapped into the "IN" and "OUT" wires inside your winch. It would be a good idea to also use a slot for a "Winch Power" switch. Wire this switch so it supplies power to the (ON)/OFF/(ON) switch to prevent inadvertent operation of your winch.

If it is a 5-pin, it is slightly more complex. The (ON)/OFF/(ON) rocker switch will still be wired the same, but the "Winch Power" switch will need to be wired a little differently. On a 5-pin winch controller, the 4th and 5th pins are used to complete a ground circuit to help prevent the urban legend paperclip catastrophe from occurring. Since the Voswitch can only output a 12V+ signal, you need an additional relay added into the system. This relay will be activated by the Voswitch output, but will supply a ground signal to the winch rather than the typical 12V+ that relays usually get used for.

if this all sounds foreign to you, I'll try to explain it a little better in a new thread that I'll be putting together specifically on wiring in-cab controls for a Warn Zeon winch.
Yeah, that was ALL Greek to me. There are so many different ways to wire up a winch it makes my head spin and assume that many others have similar issues deciding.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Yeah, that was ALL Greek to me. There are so many different ways to wire up a winch it makes my head spin and assume that many others have similar issues deciding.
Well, hopefully this reaches you in time. I got a good head start on my in-cab winch control thread this evening. Covered all the basics along with some wiring diagrams. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get into the nitty gritty of how to use the Voswitch (or any other type of pre-fabbed switch system) to get the job done.

In Cab Winch Control Wiring (From Basic to Warn Zeon)

Sponsored

NTX Black Moab

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well, hopefully this reaches you in time. I got a good head start on my in-cab winch control thread this evening. Covered all the basics along with some wiring diagrams. Tomorrow I'll hopefully get into the nitty gritty of how to use the Voswitch (or any other type of pre-fabbed switch system) to get the job done.

In Cab Winch Control Wiring (From Basic to Warn Zeon)
I have a sizable bonus dropping on Tuesday (03/31). That will be funding the next round of upgrades. The winch will be part of that upgrade going into a new bumper.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Just installed this the other day! Was planning on writing a review on here and Amazon. It was a relatively easy install and it feels like a high quality switch. Let me know if you need custom switches (I found a site that sells them for about ($5.50/piece with some cool designs).
thanks! I just bought this (arrived yesterday) and I’m excited to install it and finally get the rest of my lights connected. Good to know you guys have liked it too. Seems like the perfect solution for me (manual and aux switches already in place). Did you make an install post? Found a good video on YouTube, but always like seeing how it went for others :).

ThinkOutdoors

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU 2018
thanks! I just bought this (arrived yesterday) and I’m excited to install it and finally get the rest of my lights connected. Good to know you guys have liked it too. Seems like the perfect solution for me (manual and aux switches already in place). Did you make an install post? Found a good video on YouTube, but always like seeing how it went for others :).
Unfortunately I haven't yet but I will try to make one within the next week. I'm sure you'll want to install it before then. It's pretty straightforward and took me approx. 30-45min to install the whole switch system.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
FYI, all the replacement novelty switches are out of stock. :( hope they’re back soon!

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
Unfortunately I haven't yet but I will try to make one within the next week. I'm sure you'll want to install it before then. It's pretty straightforward and took me approx. 30-45min to install the whole switch system.
No worries! Just wanted to make sure I didn’t miss it. :)

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
We just ran the Voswitch and love it! Went with the rocker switches for a few reasons and like the low profile setup. Didn’t take long at all, everything works great! Got my lights all wired up (finally!) pretty simply.
Honestly, for the price it was a great purchase!

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
My wife has a 2019 2-door Wrangler Sport. I want to get her some rock lights and interior lights, but am having a hard time finding information on installing a switch panel on the JL Sports. I'd prefer the rocker switches with backlit pictures/descriptions. Has anyone done this on a JL, but for a non-Rubicon without the Aux package?...and where did you put the rocker switch panel? Thanks!
has anyone tried this
AUTO METER 5397 Switch Panel & CB Mount for Jeep JL 2018+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084WMXGKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Cu9wFb3K19Y9A
no pics of it installed in dash tray

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
2020 Jeep JL Diesel. Ordered the Mopar Aux switch panel but it doesn't fit. Mopar doesn't have one for it yet. Where the control unit for the relays sits, something is already mounted there. I could have moved it towards center and forced a fix but at that price, why?

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
This is the one I got. I haven't installed it yet, but it fits on the lower dash in a location that is useless.

https://www.roughcountry.com/mlc6-multiple-light-controller-7096c.html
I got this one today but on my diesel there is ZERO mounting options under the hood. Where the directions say to mount it is the AC service port. The only empty spot is against the firewall but that would make it too high to close the hood. Really bummed out about this as I really like the look of the switches.

Akbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLUR
has anyone tried this
AUTO METER 5397 Switch Panel & CB Mount for Jeep JL 2018+ https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084WMXGKM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Cu9wFb3K19Y9A
no pics of it installed in dash tray
I did. flimsy cheap plastic, fits into rectangular dash tray, Overhangs over the radio about 1 inch, I wanted to find a GMRS radio that would fit but there aren’t any. I returned it.
Easy to get wires to this location if you put them through the cowling and then behind the lower windshield to center of dash then up into cab between rubber seals.
I ended up Using a metal rocker switch panel box with a total of six slots and put it in the rectangular tray slot.
Sponsored