Rocker panel holes

rakpak

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
I traded My Scat Pack in for a Rubicon last week. After I got it home, I started detailing it and found the rocker panel has openings in in it, in front of the rear wheel. This doesn't seem like a good idea.

Rocker.jpg
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Get yourself some fluid film and a flexible wand, if you crawl under there are some penetrations in the rockers, stick the wand in from underneath and flood the whole rocker area with rust proofing, I use FLuid Film. You can also stick the straw and spray it in those openings.

OP
OP

rakpak

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Ok, I tried some fluid film. Some of the drain holes are filled with foam.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
you will have to try shooting it into the "hems" and the rectangular cutouts in the rocker. might also be able to remove some of the interior trim and thread the wand in from above, havent done that yet. I also removed the inner liners, that seem/hem goes up higher and is covered by the liner, might be able to slide the wand in that way and flood from above.

upload_2018-10-23_18-46-43.jpeg

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm Gonna blast a lot of fluid film in there, front and rear and from underneath, and use body seam sealer on the ends where salt and slush will be blasting that area. Or just let it be and trade up in a few years. That damn foam is one of the reasons I traded in my Challenger. Shooting the stuff in SEALED panels would be fine but leaving it exposed to suck up salt and slush :whatsgoingon:

Sponsored

OP
OP

rakpak

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Thank you guys for the info. Uhdinator, I think I am going to seal the ends as well. Plugging drain holes in the bottom with foam just doesn't make sense. Kind of defeats the purpose of the drain concept.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
Foam is in there to add rigidity and make more quiet. Its an issue with Dodge Challengers as well.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'm Gonna blast a lot of fluid film in there, front and rear and from underneath, and use body seam sealer on the ends where salt and slush will be blasting that area. Or just let it be and trade up in a few years. That damn foam is one of the reasons I traded in my Challenger. Shooting the stuff in SEALED panels would be fine but leaving it exposed to suck up salt and slush :whatsgoingon:
The Fluid Film is more of an oil, lanolin based. I use for the interior panels. I painted everything else and top coated with some wax type rust inhibitor.

upload_2018-10-24_7-49-48.jpeg

OP
OP

rakpak

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
Thanks VNT, I was going to ask you what you done to the rest of the undercarriage.

AJZ

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a Ziebart appointment in a couple weeks..would they spray in those seams? I’m thinking of Sean sealer too then they can spray over it. Kinda surprised Jeep didn’t seal that up..
Thx, Andy

Bearjew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None (Yet)
I am going to revive this because I am not sure it got enough love. First post here! Long time member over in JK land. I went to look at the new JL last night and found, HUGE gaps where the fender bolts to the rocker. As stated above, Does anybody have any concerns with this? I know you can put foam, seal it yourself, etc. But for 40+ thousand dollars should we have to? Seeing this makes me think I would have to do an in depth check of all panels or openings to seal. Are there any places like this that come to mind on the JK?
Sponsored