First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former YJ and JK...Current CJ and JL
Greetings Jeep Nation...

First time poster, long time lurker.

Will be ordering a JLUR next month. This will be my third Wrangler as I have owned a YJ and a JK previously. I live in Colorado and use the auto 4wd function in my Ram 1500 fairly often in the winter. I am wondering whether anyone has any insight on any effects (negative or positive) Rock-Trac will/would have on a Rubicon?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
There is an optional Rock-Trac Full-Time 4WD System. It replaces the conventional u-joints in the front axle with constant velocity joints and adds a differential in the transfer case (high range only) ensuring smooth, sure traction even on hard surfaces. Exactly what you are looking for.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Welcome to the forum.

Can’t think of any big drawbacks. It is a proven system. People love the low 4:1 crawl ratio.

Perhaps the only drawbacks are:
  1. You can only get Rock-Trac with front and rear lockable diffs. Lockers are great in extreme off-roading, but since they need to remain open most of the time, they are pretty much useless in every other situation. An LSD works in 2WD, 4WD, and can be used on road, in snow, in dirt, on the trail, etc.
  2. The 4:1 ratio makes the shifter a bit recalcitrant. You get used to it after awhile, though
Can’t think of anything else.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Greetings Jeep Nation...

Will be ordering a JLUR next month. This will be my third Wrangler as I have owned a YJ and a JK previously. I live in Colorado and use the auto 4wd function in my Ram 1500 fairly often in the winter. I am wondering whether anyone has any insight on any effects (negative or positive) Rock-Trac will/would have on a Rubicon?

Thanks!
Been testing the 4wd full time a lot in my '21 Rubi during the last few weeks of rain / snow events in the Seattle area. Works great. Never felt like I needed to switch to 4wd part time. I took my Chevy HD truck out a few times, too and needed 4wd part time several times in the snow.

Reactions: AFD

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Greetings Jeep Nation...

Thanks!
The only real one is the different low range gear ratio. Technically not as good for crawling but in the real world I think it makes zero difference for how most of us use our Jeeps.

Also in the prior generations the Select-Trac was not the most reliable thing but it seems to be doing well on the JL's and not heard of any failures around here.

Sponsored

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Just in case it's not clear, there are two transfer cases available on a Rubicon. About half of these replies are about the standard part-time system. You will be much happier with the optional full-time system. Both have the same 4:1 low range but the full-time system doesn't need to be shifted in and out as you go from hard to slick surfaces. Just set and forget.

OP
OP
Original J Dub

Original J Dub

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just in case it's not clear, there are two transfer cases available on a Rubicon. About half of these replies are about the standard part-time system. You will be much happier with the optional full-time system. Both have the same 4:1 low range but the full-time system doesn't need to be shifted in and out as you go from hard to slick surfaces. Just set and forget.
So I understand, the two transfer cases are traditional part-time 4wd and Rock-Trac or auto (full-time) 4wd...

As I'm reading, I'm thinking no real performance difference and I will probably go for the $700 addon.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
So I understand, the two transfer cases are traditional part-time 4wd and Rock-Trac or auto (full-time) 4wd...

As I'm reading, I'm thinking no real performance difference and I will probably go for the $700 addon.
Performance, no. Gas mileage, yes. Still well worth it to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Original J Dub

Original J Dub

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Been testing the 4wd full time a lot in my '21 Rubi during the last few weeks of rain / snow events in the Seattle area. Works great. Never felt like I needed to switch to 4wd part time. I took my Chevy HD truck out a few times, too and needed 4wd part time several times in the snow.
Have you noticed any performance difference off-road or conditions other than snow?

OP
OP
Original J Dub

Original J Dub

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is an optional Rock-Trac Full-Time 4WD System. It replaces the conventional u-joints in the front axle with constant velocity joints and adds a differential in the transfer case (high range only) ensuring smooth, sure traction even on hard surfaces. Exactly what you are looking for.
Do you know of any durability differences between the two setups?

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
I ordered it as well. I don't see a lot here on the durability of the CV axle - my main concern. I wonder if structurally a CV joint can handle similar torque as the u-joints, as when you get bigger tires. Time will tell. It's certainly a bit more expensive to fix. If I break a few, then I'm assuming I can find a way to swap parts back in there to get a u-joint. Not too worried.

My main motivation is that IMO a 4wd with a locked transfer case is inferior in winter conditions to an AWD type vehicle with some sort of clutch in the transfer case. Having to run 2wd in winter except for short and slow stretches negates most of my reasons for even getting a 4wd - for me it's going to be far more miles in winter on the highways than technical trails.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Do you know of any durability differences between the two setups?
The biggest difference between them is the way they operate.

The part-time transfer case (NV241OR) is chain-driven vs the full-time transfer case (MP3022) that is clutch-based.
Sponsored