First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe ordered 11/6/20; delivered 5/13/21
Build Thread
Link
This seems like a more appropriate thread for this discussion than the Purchasing thread. :)

I'm trying to decide upon waiting for the 2021 JLUR with "4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS" and would like to know a few details to help with my decision. If the general concensus is that the Selec-Trac is weak or failure prone, I can save a bundle and look for a lightly used 19 or 20 JLUR rather than go with the 2021.

Firstly, I realize the front axles would include CV joints. I don't see that as a problem, per se, but would the axle otherwise be the same as the US Rubicon D44's (M210 Wide in front and M220 Wide in rear)? Or, will JEEP use the EU axles, M210 & M220 - both narrow?

Secondly, I assume the "4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS" is a US Selec-Trac (MP3022), but with modified Lo range gearing. Have people seen the clutches wear out in these transfer cases when used appropriately? Will the clutches wear when "locked" into 4wd part time? Apparently, an internal shift fork applies pressure on the clutch stack to lock these transfer cases when in part time mode. I have seen zero complaints on this forum about the Selec-Trac, but perhaps people using it would not be pushing their JEEPS as hard as those with a North America Rock Trac transfer case?

Comments and conjecture appreciated.

My list of sources so far:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-in-europe.2754/post-798709

https://www.crownautomotive.net/NP241-Transfer-Case-Parts.html
Sponsored

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
This seems like a more appropriate thread for this discussion than the Purchasing thread. :)

I'm trying to decide upon waiting for the 2021 JLUR with "4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS" and would like to know a few details to help with my decision. If the general concensus is that the Selec-Trac is weak or failure prone, I can save a bundle and look for a lightly used 19 or 20 JLUR rather than go with the 2021.

Firstly, I realize the front axles would include CV joints. I don't see that as a problem, per se, but would the axle otherwise be the same as the US Rubicon D44's (M210 Wide in front and M220 Wide in rear)? Or, will JEEP use the EU axles, M210 & M220 - both narrow?

Secondly, I assume the "4:1 ROCK-TRAC HD FULL TIME 4WD SYS" is a US Selec-Trac (MP3022), but with modified Lo range gearing. Have people seen the clutches wear out in these transfer cases when used appropriately? Will the clutches wear when "locked" into 4wd part time? Apparently, an internal shift fork applies pressure on the clutch stack to lock these transfer cases when in part time mode. I have seen zero complaints on this forum about the Selec-Trac, but perhaps people using it would not be pushing their JEEPS as hard as those with a North America Rock Trac transfer case?

Comments and conjecture appreciated.

My list of sources so far:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jl-in-europe.2754/post-798709

https://www.crownautomotive.net/NP241-Transfer-Case-Parts.html
Have you find any information on this yet? I'm interested to learn more about this as well.

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Have you find any information on this yet? I'm interested to learn more about this as well.
I found a little information.
Axle width: Nothing confirmed about the possibly narrower axles used on export Rubicons.
Reliability: I saw two cases where the selec-trac did not fully engage and the clutch packs overheated. One of those two cases was severe enough to burn the TC oil & clutch pack; the other case was a single report of overheating/no engagement, but it did not happen again...or it was not reported here if it did happen again.

I started another thread fishing for the same information here. That received more responses.

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found a little information.
Axle width: Nothing confirmed about the possibly narrower axles used on export Rubicons.
Reliability: I saw two cases where the selec-trac did not fully engage and the clutch packs overheated. One of those two cases was severe enough to burn the TC oil & clutch pack; the other case was a single report of overheating/no engagement, but it did not happen again...or it was not reported here if it did happen again.

I started another thread fishing for the same information here. That received more responses.
Can't wait to get more information before placing my order. Thanks for the update. Let me know if you find anything else please.

OP
OP
Gazelle

Gazelle

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Can't wait to get more information before placing my order. Thanks for the update. Let me know if you find anything else please.
Will do...the only other "fact" is that the Prototype Rubicon 392 that JEEP recently advertised, uses a 4Auto transfer case. That motor puts out 450 Lb-Ft of torque on 37's. If the it's the same TC, it should suffice for my needs.

mike.g

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will do...the only other "fact" is that the Prototype Rubicon 392 that JEEP recently advertised, uses a 4Auto transfer case. That motor puts out 450 Lb-Ft of torque on 37's. If the it's the same TC, it should suffice for my needs.
Interesting read, it says Select Trac here, I would assume they would put the Rock Trac for the V8. If the V8 option was out already, I woulda placed my order haha, but for now I need more info with this full time. On the other hand, I'm like the part time been working fine for many years even if I decided to go on a rainy snowy road part time has been proven, do we really need full time? Lol
Sponsored