Sponsored

Rock-Trac® Full-Time 4WD (safer on-road for teen?)

Chief_Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Stingray
@SteveTigers
Yogi has some good points about auto transmission. Pretty much some of the same reasons Fire apparatus are now automatics, easier to concentrate on driving.

As for driving schools & education, look for the following in your area. I'm sure there are some.
SCCA, NASA (not space admin), & PCA (Porsche Club of America), usually have some AXs, High Performance Driver Education courses, & even teenager driver education & accident avoidance classes. Now, HPDEs are usually set up to help drivers get their road course & time trial licenses, so they are usually on a track. While AXs & the other events are set up to practically eliminate any chance of damage to your vehicle & keep speeds at & below 60 MPH. So, they are some of the better classes/courses to take/do.

Also, check with your local Fire & Police Departments, as they sometimes have driver education & accident avoidance classes, & they tend to run them like EVOCs (Emergency Vehicle Operations Course). If so, they usually have a wrecked car with a "victim" & they do a demo on vehicle extrication. Sometimes they may do these in partnership with the SCCA, NASA, or PCA.

I hope you are able to find something in your area!
Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
It’s safer because your teen won’t always know when to shift into 4wd or when to shift out of it to prevent damage

OP
OP
SteveTigers

SteveTigers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe
@Chief_Dan Thanks for the info. The SCCA in St. Louis isn’t holding events right now, but I’ve reached out to them to see if it was ok to let him take a daily driver out on their course when they start back up.

My wife and I decided to go the route of a automatic after driving the manual yesterday. We agreed it wasn’t very easy to drive. We’ve driven a lot of manual cars, and enjoyed them but weren’t sure we would have the same feelings driving around the countryside on a weekend in the Jeep.

Last edited:

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It you do not have to have the Rock-Trac, the Selec-Trac is the way to go for the streets and around town and on the highway. I have the part time 4WD, but there are many times, around town I wish I had AWD. I love the setup on my Escalade where I can choose between RWD, AWD or 4WD.
Rock-Trac is now available with 4hi auto, mine has it and it’s easily the best feature of the entire Jeep. Well, maybe it’s tied with the LED headlights

Uranus

First Name
Cassie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vm.tiktok.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 4 Door Sport
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Nurse
My new JLR has the full-time and after getting our first snow fall I love it so much more than just 4H/4L. My previous Jeep was a JLU Sport. My control is much better with the full time 4WD.

Happy New Year everyone! I am ordering a Rubicon and deciding whether or not to include full-time 4WD. My 16 year old will be driving the Jeep regularly, so I am making it as safe as possible. Does Full-Time 4WD improve the stability control, thereby making it safer if he goes into a corner too hot? Thanks, Steve

Sponsored

dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 WK2
I wouldn't let a 16yo inexperienced driver drive a Jeep Wrangler, TJ, JK, CJ etc. They dont have the experience and necessary skillset to handle a vehcile of this type yet. A JLU Rubicon not until they have a lot more on the road experience, completed a program like Street Survival. and also have a few hours of wet skidpad time. Just too many issues with a Rubicon on M/Ts or A/Ts, handling issues, the ride height, vision issues etc. And there phone better be off when they are driving. Sorry 99% of the drivers out there ahve no clue and teenage drivers are even worse. Yeah I used to run the local BMWCCA chapter's high speed drivers' education program. Best vehicle for a new teenage drive is an 1984 Mercedes disel sedan and if you cant get one of those then get an older model Avalon. Something big, boring and kind of slow but safe.

Dave Apker

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The Select-Trac only comes with a 8-speed automatic transmission on a $60,000 Jeep Rubicon that you're going to let a 16-year old boy drive to high school daily. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Make him wear a full face FIA approved carbon fiber crash helmet!

gqgambler

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bright White Moab
I would be more concerned with an inexperienced driver driving a Rubicon. Attentive or not, FWD or 4WD or AWD, the higher center or gravity is a reciepe for disaster in inexperienced hands. Plus you are dealing with M/S tires which while adequate for road use, don't have near the same responsiveness of all-season tires; most notably in rain. I'm sure a teenager would love a jeep, but a jeep is at a disadvantage with safety features as well compared to most modern cars (lacks side curtain airbags).

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
I would be more concerned with an inexperienced driver driving a Rubicon. Attentive or not, FWD or 4WD or AWD, the higher center or gravity is a reciepe for disaster in inexperienced hands. Plus you are dealing with M/S tires which while adequate for road use, don't have near the same responsiveness of all-season tires; most notably in rain. I'm sure a teenager would love a jeep, but a jeep is at a disadvantage with safety features as well compared to most modern cars (lacks side curtain airbags).
+1, is this your kid's first vehicle or do they have another vehicle that they're used to?
I had a couple close calls from being so used to my Mustang. Definitely have to drive the Wrangler with a lot more care when it comes to turns and curves at speed. The Sport with all season tires are much more well mannered.

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Just remembered the other week my cousin told me he almost lost control mid curve on the highway because he left his in 4hi. That’s another reason

Last edited:

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
The first order is to teach them to pay attention and to be forward thinking and anticipate their next move and the behavior of others accordingly. That does not include expensive, comfortable transportation. This does include transportation that can ricochet off of shit without emptying the pockets. But to each their own.
Sponsored