Sponsored

Rock Slide Engineering Step-Slider Install and Review (with video)

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Everyone!

Check out my review of the RSE step-sliders and a full-length DIY installation video!

Before she ever rolled into our garage, we knew that Project Swampcat was going to need some side steps. No one in my family is taller than 5'3", which makes getting into the Jeep tricky even at stock ride height. So, obviously a 3.5" lift with 37" tires would make our attempts to get in comical for all those present. My previous Jeep had some custom frame-welded step/sliders, but they were a low-quality shade-tree fabrication job and didn't hold up well over time. For the JL, I knew I needed and wanted an engineered solution.

01.jpg
True engineering isn't something you come across too often in the aftermarket offroad and 4x4 industry. Most companies use the 'trial and error' approach until they fab up a design that works, then do their best to replicate it as needed to fill orders. As a prior nuclear power plant operator in submarines, I have a deep respect and appreciation for a well engineered solution to a problem. So, when I needed a step that also performed excellently as a rock slider, I looked no further than Rock Slide Engineering.

I ordered a set almost as soon as they released the JL model, then eagerly awaited the production line to catch up with the influx of orders. When my steps arrived I was immediately impressed just by the packaging. A company that takes the time to design adequate packaging has obviously taken the time to design a solid product that is worth the effort.
02.jpg
The install was fairly straightforward (video linked below) and only required simple hand tools, but I would call it a moderate level install simply because of the electronics and the fact that you'll be messing with the body mounting bolts. Like many companies these days, RSE has started using electronic installation procedures. But where RSE stands out is in sharing their instructions through Dropbox, which allows end-user commenting to help crowdsource improvements and changes. This is just another sign that RSE is leading industry innovation.

After about 3 weeks, I noticed my steps weren't retracting fully anymore. Understanding though that new products always go through some growing pains, I contacted RSE and let them know what I was experiencing. After a couple of emails and a few pictures, they had shipped me a brand new set of steps under warranty, and even covered the freight shipping on my original set. I've been running the second set now for 10 months in all terrain types, and have had zero issues. You do have to lube the moving parts every so often, but all it takes is about 5 mins and a little WD-40.

03.jpg
In addition to performing much better than expected, the steps look factory and follow the factory body lines. Also, the electronics are either completely hidden or so subtle you don't even notice them. This gives Swampcat a clean and functional appearance that I love. I added the lighting kit a few weeks later, and it performs well while providing plenty of light to see the ground and step.

Overall, while they are expensive, these steps are worth every penny and are probably my favorite modification so far (and certainly the most useful). I have very high standards for product quality and functionality, and I'm happy to report that RSE exceeded my expectations. It's got the Swampcat stamp of approval, for whatever that's worth!

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

Jesus Christ, what a pain in the ass!

Have you thought of wiring the sensors to the dome light? That way you can lower the steps just by unlocking your doors with your remote which would be a huge wow factor. The only downside is you shouldn't turn on the dome lights while crawling or snowheeling

Last edited:
OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Jesus Christ, what a pain in the ass!

Have you thought of wiring the sensors to the dome light? That way you can lower the steps just by unlocking your doors with your remote which would be a huge wow factor. The only downside is you shouldn't turn on the dome lights while crawling or snowheeling
Hey!

No I must admit I hadn't thought of that! It's an interesting idea, but personally I don't see the benefit outside of the 'cool factor'. The steps open immediately when opening the door, so I've never felt the need for them to open when unlocking the doors. Especially considering the danger of deploying the steps when turning on the dome light, as you mentioned. Plus, modifying the kit to connect into the dome light would involve even more work than just installing it as designed.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Wow really. I thought it would make things easier since you don't have to install sensors and magnets on all 4 doors.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Hope these work out for you. My wife saw them and was very interested. I managed to get by with Ace rock sliders.

Sponsored

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Wow really. I thought it would make things easier since you don't have to install sensors and magnets on all 4 doors.
Well, installing the sensors and magnets is actually probably the easiest part of the whole process. It's all plug and play. Wiring them into the dome light would require customizing the wiring integrations, which is doable, just not as easy as the plug and play.

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hope these work out for you. My wife saw them and was very interested. I managed to get by with Ace rock sliders.
Thanks! I've actually been running these steps for about 8 months now, and they have served me well!

Gator Jeep 1

First Name
Byron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Just installed these on mine! I am amazed how well engineered and built they are! No detail was overlooked from the rails, steps to the wiring harness!

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
Just installed these on mine! I am amazed how well engineered and built they are! No detail was overlooked from the rails, steps to the wiring harness!
Do your steps bang pretty hard when the extend and retract? I don't see a way to adjust or slow the speed of the motor.

I just had a set of sliders installed a week ago and the driver's side already has malfunctioned. Installed by 4WP and RSE is supposedly sending a another control unit -- I certainly hope this is the fix. Pretty disappointed after spending over $2k on steps. I'm driving with one step in the down position because they can't get it to tuck up while we wait for the replacement.

Oh, and also, the grip tape at the end of the slider is bunching up after a few days of usage. What's up with that?

IMG_0919.jpg

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Do your steps bang pretty hard when the extend and retract? I don't see a way to adjust or slow the speed of the motor.

I just had a set of sliders installed a week ago and the driver's side already has malfunctioned. Installed by 4WP and RSE is supposedly sending a another control unit -- I certainly hope this is the fix. Pretty disappointed after spending over $2k on steps. I'm driving with one step in the down position because they can't get it to tuck up while we wait for the replacement.

Oh, and also, the grip tape at the end of the slider is bunching up after a few days of usage. What's up with that?

IMG_0919.jpg
My steps do make a 'clunk' sound when deploying/retracting. It took a few days to get used to, but now I don't even hear it. The closing force isn't adjustable, and the force it's set at is necessary to ensure proper operation. Keeps them from hanging loose when retracted or not deploying fully. Especially the more they're used over time.

I did not have any issues with the grip tape on either set of steps that I had. I'm guessing that it just didn't get adhered fully during assembly. Call RSE and let them know about it. Good luck with the fix on that and the control unit. RSE was great to work with when I had my issues, so I'm sure they will take care of you.

My personal advice (even though you didn't ask for it, haha), is to hold off on being disappointed until they fail to stand behind their product. Every company that mass produces something will have manufacturing issues. It's a given. The mark of a good company is not whether they have issues, it is how they handle the issues they have. In my opinion, RSE is one of the top tier aftermarket companies for that reason alone.

Sponsored

Stomper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
Hey Everyone!

Check out my review of the RSE step-sliders and a full-length DIY installation video!

Before she ever rolled into our garage, we knew that Project Swampcat was going to need some side steps. No one in my family is taller than 5'3", which makes getting into the Jeep tricky even at stock ride height. So, obviously a 3.5" lift with 37" tires would make our attempts to get in comical for all those present. My previous Jeep had some custom frame-welded step/sliders, but they were a low-quality shade-tree fabrication job and didn't hold up well over time. For the JL, I knew I needed and wanted an engineered solution.

01.jpg
True engineering isn't something you come across too often in the aftermarket offroad and 4x4 industry. Most companies use the 'trial and error' approach until they fab up a design that works, then do their best to replicate it as needed to fill orders. As a prior nuclear power plant operator in submarines, I have a deep respect and appreciation for a well engineered solution to a problem. So, when I needed a step that also performed excellently as a rock slider, I looked no further than Rock Slide Engineering.

I ordered a set almost as soon as they released the JL model, then eagerly awaited the production line to catch up with the influx of orders. When my steps arrived I was immediately impressed just by the packaging. A company that takes the time to design adequate packaging has obviously taken the time to design a solid product that is worth the effort.
02.jpg
The install was fairly straightforward (video linked below) and only required simple hand tools, but I would call it a moderate level install simply because of the electronics and the fact that you'll be messing with the body mounting bolts. Like many companies these days, RSE has started using electronic installation procedures. But where RSE stands out is in sharing their instructions through Dropbox, which allows end-user commenting to help crowdsource improvements and changes. This is just another sign that RSE is leading industry innovation.

After about 3 weeks, I noticed my steps weren't retracting fully anymore. Understanding though that new products always go through some growing pains, I contacted RSE and let them know what I was experiencing. After a couple of emails and a few pictures, they had shipped me a brand new set of steps under warranty, and even covered the freight shipping on my original set. I've been running the second set now for 10 months in all terrain types, and have had zero issues. You do have to lube the moving parts every so often, but all it takes is about 5 mins and a little WD-40.

03.jpg
In addition to performing much better than expected, the steps look factory and follow the factory body lines. Also, the electronics are either completely hidden or so subtle you don't even notice them. This gives Swampcat a clean and functional appearance that I love. I added the lighting kit a few weeks later, and it performs well while providing plenty of light to see the ground and step.

Overall, while they are expensive, these steps are worth every penny and are probably my favorite modification so far (and certainly the most useful). I have very high standards for product quality and functionality, and I'm happy to report that RSE exceeded my expectations. It's got the Swampcat stamp of approval, for whatever that's worth!

I have to agree they are A PITA to install, but worth it. Probably a little better for me since I won them from RSE. I see someone there is A Gamecock fan? Me too.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6m, 2019 Acura RDX Adv.
Occupation
Doc... Duh.
How was the height with the stock rubicon? I’m not lifting or doing bigger tires but my wife, parents, and 5 year old will have a hard time getting in even a stock rubicon height.

I just don’t want them to be an inch off the ground. Lol.

Stomper

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S
How was the height with the stock rubicon? I’m not lifting or doing bigger tires but my wife, parents, and 5 year old will have a hard time getting in even a stock rubicon height.

They are good. I have a Sport with Rubi suspension. The step is only 12" drop so you still 6 to 8 inches off the ground.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I went with the Aries side steps, and find the similarities and differences interesting. Apparently RSE sold that design to them. -shrug- They don't attach to the body mount bolts. I wish they would have gone the same route with their instruction manual!

OP
OP
swampcat14

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Sorry for the slow reply. To echo what @Stomper stated, yeah they're still well up off the ground with the stock height and tires.
Sponsored