Sponsored

Rock Slide Engineering Product and customer service review

JLZBUB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
2022 JL Rubicon Xtreme Recon

I purchased a set of Rock Slide Engineering (RSE) Gen 3 Step Sliders for my JLUR XR in Aug of this year and it's been a mixed bag of "Love them", disappointment and aggravation ever since. I'll disclose from the outset that I'm a bit jaded at this point but I will try to be be as fair and honest as possible.

• Sliders were delivered quickly and packaging look very good. However, the method of packaging results in damage (rubbing resulting in exposed metal on exterior surface) to the powder coating in the middle of the slider. In the short 2.5 months that I've had the RSE sliders I have gone through 3 sliders and each has the same damage in the same location.
  • Installation was a challenge due to manufacturing inconsistencies. There are 6 pinch weld bolts that align the slider and disallow forward/aft adjustments. There are also 3 mount fixtures that attach under the body bolts. The rear most and center mounts have ample play to adjust in/out and rotate as needed, however the forward most mount binds against a frame welded plate that prevents movement. The received passenger slider was 1/2" too long (RSE refers to this as the skid plate) and wouldn't clear the forward frame welded plate. It was necessary to notch the skid plate to fit correctly. After this modification installation was straight forward.
  • Within a few days of installation the passenger slider began to make a clanking sound when extending and retracting. Inspection of the slider noted that the articulating step did not sit square or centered in the cutout of the slider. An email for tech support was sent but no reply was ever received. Within 2 weeks of the original installation the passenger slider step failed and was left hanging loose below the Jeep. (This issue has been documented in other forums and threads, and appears to be a known)
  • A warranty claim was submitted and a replacement was quickly issued, however shipment was withheld until proof of return shipping for the original slider was provided.
    • I am very annoyed by this policy. It was mere luck that I still had the original packaging for the slider. Although RSE paid for the shipping, had I already disposed of the packaging I'm not sure how or what would have been required to meet FEDEX requirements.
  • The warranty slider had the same powder coat damage, in the same spot, as mentioned above.
  • Installation of the warranty slider failed. Were the first slider was 1/2" too long, this slider was 1/2" too short and the forward mount bolt holes on the skid plate could not be aligned to the mount it self.
  • A second warranty claim was submitted but I was required to provide proof that the slider was faulty. It took a few days, multiple images and measurements before RSE realized they shipped the wrong slider. RSE claims that 2022 JLUR's have a change in the frame configuration (a welded plate) that required a modifications specific to 2022's. (This explanation rings false to me. The slider was 1/2" too short. There was no interference issues as experienced on the original slider. Meaning, the original slider mounting holes all lined up but was too long and required modification... this is supposed to be the good one?)
  • An approved warranty claim for the third slider is in the works but has yet to be completed. I have been told twice that the correct replacement slider was shipping tomorrow. Both times it has not shipped. I now have a third shipping promise, but we'll see.
In summary, I would not buy this product again. The drivers side works great and I love it. However, the passenger side issues leave me skeptical of RSE's over all quality and reliability. RSE customer service was always polite but they communicate poorly and can not be described as proactive. In all instances I had to initiate contact to seek updates. Given that this is a premium product and the most expensive on the market, I would expect much better quality control and customer service.
Sponsored

mygreenkaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Great when they work, and you said the rest. I have gen2 was hoping to hear better things about gen3.

I agree service has been acceptable at least in my experience. Design, meh.

Mine are currently in working order but I'm running them off as it's easier than dealing with another failure.

Fixed sliders are on my list long term.

CpT Papa

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RUBICON 392
I have installed 2 sets of Gen 3 after waiting 8 weeks on the backorder. So far no issues in 4 months. They have spoiled me, if they give me trouble I guess I would have try the Amps. I did have one delivered with a minor paint defect. They sent a replacement in a few days. No need to send it back so I have a spare passenger side for parts.

Sponsored

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I had Gen 2 on my 2018 for 3 years and now have Gen 3 on my 2021. I installed both myself (with help from @Storm Cloud on the Gen 3) as well as a set of Gen 2 on a friend’s Jeep. Quality has been great and customer service has been A+.

OP
OP

JLZBUB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JU Rubicon Xtreme Recon
RSE continues to disappoint. I finally received the 3rd passenger side warranty replacement (Gen 3 powered step slider)... and it too is WRONG! Beyond the shock of just ridiculous this whole experience is, the salt in the wound is that every time I call RSE tech support / warranty service it goes straight to voice mail and the voicemail is full so you can't actually leave a message. At this point you couldn't pay me to purchase another RSE product!!
Sponsored