tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Bumping this old thread. I have these on my JTR, and now that is has gotten much colder, driver side retracts slower, and if below 30, does not fully rectract by about a 1/2" and rattles like crazy.
Anyone else had this issue?
Do you have a picture? Mine started doing that one day and I had to replace the motor. RSE will sell it at cost if you reach out to them.
Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
Do you have a picture? Mine started doing that one day and I had to replace the motor. RSE will sell it at cost if you reach out to them.
Next time it does it, I will take one. Was 26 here this morning and did it. It's warmed up a bit now, so fully retracting.
I noticed the motor sound very slow the other day when temps dropped outside.

How much is the motor if you know? Thanks.

tatarin

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB Mojito Sky One-Touch, 2015 Lexus RX350F-sport, 2005 Camry SE
Vehicle Showcase
Next time it does it, I will take one. Was 26 here this morning and did it. It's warmed up a bit now, so fully retracting.
I noticed the motor sound very slow the other day when temps dropped outside.

How much is the motor if you know? Thanks.
$60 make sure you are lubricating the snot out of it few times a year. Use the dry silicone spray

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had that problem where it was retracting very slowly. RSE had me replace the motor and nitrogen charged piston. The piston is the issue, the Gen 3 sliders replace that with a spring.

Sponsored

cmb396

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JLUR
I had that problem where it was retracting very slowly. RSE had me replace the motor and nitrogen charged piston. The piston is the issue, the Gen 3 sliders replace that with a spring.
No clue which model I have? Was on the truck when I bought it, but guessing a gen 1 or 2?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
They probably never had a Gen 1 for the JL, I had the Gen 2 on my JK. Maybe they will come out with a gen 2 to 3 conversion.

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just posted on another thread thanking you folks for saving me from buying into this B.S. Thanks

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Mine have been solid since the motor replacement on driver side. As others have suggested the piston was the issue. Overall though there's not really another option on the market for those that want a functional step that truly drops down far enough but also the protection of a rock slider.

I bought them for my JT, knowing I had to lift it a bit more than a JLU due to break over angle. My 392 doesn't need it.

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I plan on buying these soon. should I get the Gen 3? or are the Gen 2s more reliable?

Sponsored

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
I’ve had mine on for about 20k miles and they’ve been fine. I’ve had to contact RSE a few times and their customer service has been outstanding.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I would say Gen 3, You probably wouldnt have a problem with slow steps due to the cold in california. My gen 2 has the gas charged piston and got slow when it was really cold out. Gen 3 does not have pistons, but I would not want to take the chance

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I just posted on another thread thanking you folks for saving me from buying into this B.S. Thanks
I had hip surgery years ago and lifting my right leg certain ways (like getting into a lifted vehicle) is uncomfortable. Getting in and out a couple times is fine, but after doing it several times in a row like we do so often on a trail run, gets painful. I also have two small kids and a short wife so these steps make getting in very easy for all of us and I love them for that. BUT after only one year, one side has stopped retracting all the way. RSE asked for a video and shipped me a new motor and shock which I will install next week.

Hopefully there is a way to retrofit with the new spring style. If not, I'll just source a few of the shocks to keep on hand.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
They did re-engineer, hence gen 3 without the gas charges struts. I still love mine even with the strut issue.

I also hope they come out with a retrofit for springs instead of strut's, but I am not holding my breath.

I never dragged my RV's step over rocks and expected it to work.

Col_Sanders

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
I got the motor and gas shock. Figured it was only the shock that was the problem so I decided to try and only replace that so I can keep the motor as a spare. Tried replacing it without removing the slider and it wasn't happening. I finally gave up and pulled the slider off. Had the new shock on pretty quick and sure enough, that was the problem. I'm going to order a few to keep on hand.
Sponsored