Sponsored

Rock rails with entry access for Rubicon?

nealwiley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2 dr, 2015 Willys 2 dr.
Any advice on rock rails with some sort of a step/surface to help entry/exit. Don't want to remove my rock rails if possible as I don't want to see the pinch seam. My wife and i are both shortes. Thanks!
Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I am also interested in replacing my factory rubi rock rails. I like the Mopar Performance Rails as they pop out a lot more and can be used as a step, although not fully since they don’t pop out more than ~3 inches.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock rails with entry access for Rubicon? E642D945-C241-42B2-9F8B-0A430509A2BD

But at about $1,000 they’re very expensive for what they are so I haven’t got it yet.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
I would like to replace my rock rail, but the ones I wanted mounted to the body bolts. Be aware that the front body bolt (by where your feet would be) has red loctite on it and there's many posts about people breaking the bolt trying to get it undone. It's one of the things holding me back because it could be a headache if that thing does break.

TIPOVR

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Willys EcoDiesel
I am also interested in replacing my factory rubi rock rails. I like the Mopar Performance Rails as they pop out a lot more and can be used as a step, although not fully since they don’t pop out more than ~3 inches.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock rails with entry access for Rubicon? E642D945-C241-42B2-9F8B-0A430509A2BD

But at about $1,000 they’re very expensive for what they are so I haven’t got it yet.
I ordered these mopar performance rock rails with my Jeep, my girlfriend is short and using them as a small step in combination with the grab handle to get in. An added bonus I found, is it stops some of the road gunk from getting kicked up on the side of your Jeep a bit.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Both the ACE rock sliders and the Barricade tubular rock sliders bolt on without removing the stock Rubi rails.

But, as mentioned above, you do have to mount them via the body bolts and people have had trouble with those shearing off.

I'm probably going with the Barricades, and I'll just pay my local shop to install, since I have no way of heating the bolts to soften the loctite (the preferred method, from my understanding) at the moment and I don't want to be on the hook for it if I break them myself.

Sponsored

Swagger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You can find the performance rock rails cheaper if you look for the on ebay and elsewhere.
I replaced my existing rails with these and my wife is happy. Replacement was easy - these do not use the body bolts.
I would not recommend them for heavy duty rock crawling though. Because they are wider than the normal rock rails, but use the same mounting, a heavy duty hit or resting the Jeep fully on them can result in them flexing into the body. Keep this in mind when making your decision.

Buzz11

First Name
Buzz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLR, 2001 Wrangler TJ Sport
LOD and ROAM make rockers with a step. I have the ROAM version and love them. You do have to take off the Rubi sliders, but both LOD & ROAM would cover the pinch seam. They both look roughly like the attached pix from the interwebs. I have a 2 door, and guessing you have a 4 door, so I didn't bother with my own pix

Capture.JPG

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I ordered these mopar performance rock rails with my Jeep, my girlfriend is short and using them as a small step in combination with the grab handle to get in. An added bonus I found, is it stops some of the road gunk from getting kicked up on the side of your Jeep a bit.
Oh yea I bet they’d be great blocking the mud too! I really dig them and if it was an option for my rubi when I got mine, I would’ve absolutely added it, especially since they’re only ~595 or so When ordering with the jeep from the factory?

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
I too am looking for a step slider. We do end up in the rocks enough though that a lot of the options wouldn't hold up. As @Swagger says above, I'm not sure I'd trust the wider "Performance" option from Mopar with some rock drags. Just like I don't think the RSE steps would hold up (not to mention the nightmare tales I keep hearing about the electronics failing).

I was digging the Rock Hard 4x4 step sliders but the finish leaves something to be desired (search the forums).

Right now I'm liking the ARB step sliders and the GenRight (at double the cost). I don't like that both require drilling/mounting to the bottom of the body tub for a mounting plate. Though this might be the only way to get the strength required (RSE and some others do this too).

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Oh yea I bet they’d be great blocking the mud too! I really dig them and if it was an option for my rubi when I got mine, I would’ve absolutely added it, especially since they’re only ~595 or so When ordering with the jeep from the factory?
They are $975 from the factory, but I guess you could get a discount off the MSRP with the dealer.

I found a set on Facebook Marketplace, very happy with them. We needed a step to easily reach stuff on the roof rack. Originally had a set of Smittybilt SRC Side Armor and it left a nice dent in the rocker when we came down on it. Landed the new ones on a rock at the adventure academy and it barely left a mark.

longlivethemanual

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR 3.6L 6MT
LOD and ROAM make rockers with a step. I have the ROAM version and love them. You do have to take off the Rubi sliders, but both LOD & ROAM would cover the pinch seam. They both look roughly like the attached pix from the interwebs. I have a 2 door, and guessing you have a 4 door, so I didn't bother with my own pix

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock rails with entry access for Rubicon? 20210419_133629
I'll second this. I have the LOD two door version. They are very heavy duty, frame mount and offer a step without protruding too much. I just moved them to my new rig from the old. Reading now about the Loctite, luckily I didn't run into this when I was swapping them. You can zoom in on the pic as it's the best I have at the moment.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock rails with entry access for Rubicon? JLR Beach 1

Maxx4xE

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Firecracker Red 4XE Sahara
I was looking at these as a possible upgrade. The open 'step' part will not collect mud or dirt to compromise stability when using it as a step. I had rock rails on my first Rubi and those things collected all sorts of debris as they were just flat solid surface where you were supposed to step. The Rusty's rails had good reviews on a YouTube I came across and the shop was even able to lift the vehicle just using the rails.

https://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-...-armor-2018-and-later-jl-wrangler-4-door.html

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/replace-the-rivets.69507/#post-1462983

Thread showing the corrosion on Rock Hard step rails after half a year. Rock Hard's recommendation according to OP: "Best to replace the rivets of course then sand and respray the sliders."

I liked the RH skids on my JKUR, however the finish looked just like this after a few months on the Jeep, especially around edges. The finish would also flake off in sections around edges. After seeing the OP's problems, I decided not to go with the RH4x4.
Sponsored