Rock Rails vs. Running Boards for JL Rubicon

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
That is so true if you get in and sit down or get in and slide in it wears the leather out same thing coming out you're so right
Sponsored

Mark16830

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Correction officer
I am going to order a 2018 or maybe a 2019 rubicon Jl unlimited real soon, just curious if the factory Sahara step's will fit on the Rubicon if I remove the rock rails???? I just want the Sahara step's for better paint protection because the rock rail's offer basically zero protection from front tires throwing road debris all over rocker panels causing stone chips

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I am going to order a 2018 or maybe a 2019 rubicon Jl unlimited real soon, just curious if the factory Sahara step's will fit on the Rubicon if I remove the rock rails???? I just want the Sahara step's for better paint protection because the rock rail's offer basically zero protection from front tires throwing road debris all over rocker panels causing stone chips
Yes you can make that switch but you will still get debris thrown up there. If the only reason is for protection from the tires throwing debris, mud flaps would probably help more than the running boards.

Mark16830

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Correction officer
Yes you can make that switch but you will still get debris thrown up there. If the only reason is for protection from the tires throwing debris, mud flaps would probably help more than the running boards.
Agreed with the flaps, just hate the looks of them on a wrangler, the Sahara's steps do really well protecting plus I like the look of the step a little better also..

MarkW

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I have brand new Sahara JL steps/running boards. Selling for $250 if interested

Sponsored

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
I think you (we) have a few options.
1. It is looking like ACE is the only company right now that makes a step that bolts right onto the rubi rails.
2. Mopar makes a premium rail/step combo that you can put in place.
3. Remove the factory rubi rails and install an alternate step.
4. Wait for the market to engineer more options.
5. Cart around a trampoline with a rope tied to it to hop in there.
Fun Fun... lol

JTopsUSA

First Name
Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jtopsusa.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKU 2014, Jeep JK 2015, Jeep JLU on order!
Occupation
Jeep® Wranger Soft Goods Manufacturer
1. It is looking like ACE is the only company right now that makes a step that bolts right onto the rubi rails.
If they are like the JK/U, ACE rock rails are the bomb! :fingerscrossed:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I had the ACE rock rails on my JKU. They were awesome. However, they used 3 bolts into the chassis of the vehicle only. So realistically, they are only marginally stronger than a good set of step rails.

The price went way up and is now $100 more than they were for JKU, so instead of getting another set of ACE rails I went with the Mopar production side steps. They actually have more mounting points, will never rust, and protect the sides of the Jeep better from gravel and rocks.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had the ACE rock rails on my JKU. They were awesome. However, they used 3 bolts into the chassis of the vehicle only. So realistically, they are only marginally stronger than a good set of step rails.

The price went way up and is now $100 more than they were for JKU, so instead of getting another set of ACE rails I went with the Mopar production side steps. They actually have more mounting points, will never rust, and protect the sides of the Jeep better from gravel and rocks.
Do you have a link to the Mopar production side steps that you mentioned? And do you have any pictures of them on your Wrangler?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Just adding my $.02--the ACE rails are great don't get me wrong. They look good, install is fairly easy, they are affordable, and they serve their purpose well. However, I have never used them as a 'step' to get in my jeep on my JK in the 6+ years I have had my Jeep. To me, they are not deep enough and the chance of your foot slipping is pretty good, especially children. Just my opinion and experience.
I use mine as steps all the time. They're like 6 inches deep.

rjhoskins

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon Xl/Macan Turbo
I use mine as steps all the time. They're like 6 inches deep.
I showed this thread to my wife and my response (see above)....she said, maybe you don't use the ACE rails as a step, but I sure do. So I retract my previous comment. I should have consulted with my better half before I replied.....One day maybe I'll learn :like:

ckorte13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Loaded
I like number 5... ahahah