Rock lights tap to interior lights

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I have 8 LED rock lights ( dcs kit) that I run normally from one of my aux switches.

I am wanting to also have them turn on with my interior lights by using a diode. I have not performed an amperage test yet on the rock lights, but I would like to know how much amperage the interior circuit can hold. I don't want to melt wires with this setup.
Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know the answer to your specific question. However, you could utilize a relay with another 12v source if you're concerned about overloading the circuit.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Don't know the answer to your specific question. However, you could utilize a relay with another 12v source if you're concerned about overloading the circuit.
The issue is they interior lights "dim" as they go out. THis is accomplished by voltage drop. I kind of like that effect, and wanted to do the same with the rock lights, but first wanted to test load.

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
The issue is they interior lights "dim" as they go out. THis is accomplished by voltage drop. I kind of like that effect, and wanted to do the same with the rock lights, but first wanted to test load.
Understand. Retaining the dimming feature for the rock lights makes it more interesting.

OP
OP
Redbaron73

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Understand. Retaining the dimming feature for the rock lights makes it more interesting.
I was trying to cheat, but I guess the safer way would be to use interior light as trigger and then build my own dimmer circuit using the controller from timers.shop.

Sponsored

Htfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S - 3.6L
Vehicle Showcase
Safer way would be to use interior light as trigger and then build my own dimmer circuit using the controller from timers.shop.
Yup! That's a good option.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The Dome Light circuit won't support much more. I connected the Brawlee Tail Gate light to the circuit and it did NOT appreciate it!
Gregj

ETA: I also have a solid state relay attached to the circuit to run the step lights.
Sponsored