thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@thecritter...for the rock lights you ordered, where do all the wires from the individual rock lights merge? Is there a central “hub” or something that they connect to and then you run wires from that to an auxiliary switch?

@anotheraznguy...if I have 8 rock lights, does that mean I need 16 diodes?

Sorry for the dumb questions...wiring has never been my strong suit.[/QUOTE]
I ran two lines one down each side and wired in parallel. Mine are only white so no need to wire back to a hub for changing colors. I brought the wires together on the passanger side under hood where the factory switch wires are located. By parallel run one pair of wire the length of the jeep and wherever you want a light wire it to the positive and negative of the wire. The LED does not draw enough to cause a problem I ran it on 16 ga. wire easily could have ran on 20ga I just had the 16 laying around. I still have not had a chance to tap into the dome light circuit and install the diode was a crazy weekend lol.
Sponsored

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
@thecritter...for the rock lights you ordered, where do all the wires from the individual rock lights merge? Is there a central “hub” or something that they connect to and then you run wires from that to an auxiliary switch?

@anotheraznguy...if I have 8 rock lights, does that mean I need 16 diodes?

Sorry for the dumb questions...wiring has never been my strong suit.
I ran two lines one down each side and wired in parallel. Mine are only white so no need to wire back to a hub for changing colors. I brought the wires together on the passanger side under hood where the factory switch wires are located. By parallel run one pair of wire the length of the jeep and wherever you want a light wire it to the positive and negative of the wire. The LED does not draw enough to cause a problem I ran it on 16 ga. wire easily could have ran on 20ga I just had the 16 laying around. I still have not had a chance to tap into the dome light circuit and install the diode was a crazy weekend lol.[/QUOTE]
I have been coming back to check the dome lilight write up. My lights and wiring is in the mail, hoping it will be here by the end of the week.

golden809

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I ran two lines one down each side and wired in parallel. Mine are only white so no need to wire back to a hub for changing colors. I brought the wires together on the passanger side under hood where the factory switch wires are located. By parallel run one pair of wire the length of the jeep and wherever you want a light wire it to the positive and negative of the wire. The LED does not draw enough to cause a problem I ran it on 16 ga. wire easily could have ran on 20ga I just had the 16 laying around. I still have not had a chance to tap into the dome light circuit and install the diode was a crazy weekend lol.
I have been coming back to check the dome lilight write up. My lights and wiring is in the mail, hoping it will be here by the end of the week.[/QUOTE]
I just finished doing this. The write up so far has been great. Don't know if I missed it or not, but for the dome light/ interior light, the correct wire to tap into is the center wire on the courtesy light in the passenger foot well. It is the Yellow w/ Black tracer. I also used the relay recommended and it works great, also used the dioe to have control on my AUX switches also. Not sure if this applies to all, but these are the courtesy lights that have entry, and an additional for ambient light while driving. Hope this helps

Jrbrannan

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Ocean Blue 2008 Highlander Hybrid (previously several CJ-7, YJ, TJ, JK)
Vehicle Showcase
I have been coming back to check the dome lilight write up. My lights and wiring is in the mail, hoping it will be here by the end of the week.
I just finished doing this. The write up so far has been great. Don't know if I missed it or not, but for the dome light/ interior light, the correct wire to tap into is the center wire on the courtesy light in the passenger foot well. It is the Yellow w/ Black tracer. I also used the relay recommended and it works great, also used the dioe to have control on my AUX switches also. Not sure if this applies to all, but these are the courtesy lights that have entry, and an additional for ambient light while driving. Hope this helps[/QUOTE]
I ended up just tapping into the footwell and ignored witing it up to the switch. Basically I figured I could turn the intwriin light on when I needed the rock lights. I did not want to take up one of my switches for these.

They work great though.

Sponsored

Jeephoosier

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I just finished doing this. The write up so far has been great. Don't know if I missed it or not, but for the dome light/ interior light, the correct wire to tap into is the center wire on the courtesy light in the passenger foot well. It is the Yellow w/ Black tracer. I also used the relay recommended and it works great, also used the dioe to have control on my AUX switches also. Not sure if this applies to all, but these are the courtesy lights that have entry, and an additional for ambient light while driving. Hope this helps
I ended up just tapping into the footwell and ignored witing it up to the switch. Basically I figured I could turn the intwriin light on when I needed the rock lights. I did not want to take up one of my switches for these.

They work great though.[/QUOTE]
Looking to do this install but had couple questions
1- what relay did you use that you mentioned, and do i need if going to aux in addition to footwell light
2- where is easiest place to access the footwell light yellow wire

VGxHC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLU

They work great though.
Looking to do this install but had couple questions
1- what relay did you use that you mentioned, and do i need if going to aux in addition to footwell light
2- where is easiest place to access the footwell light yellow wire[/QUOTE]

Following for answers to these 2 questions as well...

Sponsored

911JL

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Granite, V6
Bought these LED pods on Amazon. Last JK, I built my own. Figured this time, I'd try these out. Price was ok. Needed only extension to make it work. I put 1 in front wheel well. 1 along rail under, front of front door. 1 along rail at back of back door. Then 1 at back of the curve of the rear wheel well. All 4 wheel wells I mounted toward the outside of the tire, so they illuminate the ground outside the body. Hid the Blutooth box near the battery, Zip tied all the extra wire and stuffed them INSIDE the rail behind the Front Pass wheel. Then I ran a 12v power inside and a 2nd wire, inside to POWER on the BT control box. Tapped the courtesy foot light +. Then mounted a 3-way cherry rocker to pass side of center console, off the gear box, where it overlaps the carpet. Finally, ground the control box to chassis, using the ground bolts near the battery box... So rocker up, power on door activation. Rocker down, constant power for off road use. Rocker in the middle, totally off. Each power has an in-line fuse. (NOTE: the "disco effect is dumb, but fun in parking lots or camping. but the main benefit of the BT controller is color temp and actual light level)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XXT1YY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z39Y6KF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MPW54G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
To throw gas on the fire of questions ...
I’m tapping into the footwell to be my “courtesy light”, however, I’d like to use the app as well.
I’m thinking I need to use the diode listed in this thread.
Out to rock light
In to footwell wire
In to fuse 57

Close to correct or, nah, wtf are you doing?

JPajot

First Name
Jean-Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I have been reviewing this post regarding using the Roadmaster Diode kit and have questions as to the impact this type of installation has on the electrical system. I understand that the voltage cannot backflow because of the diodes. However; on the output side wouldn't you have 24V if you powered AUX and courtesy lights at the same time. This is assuming that you have AUX on and having a need to get out of the vehicle, which would trigger the courtesy light switch. Isn't a relay necessary or am I missing something. Input is greatly appreciated since I am wanting to do a similar setup without frying wires or a vehicle.

Eburkland24

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I have been reviewing this post regarding using the Roadmaster Diode kit and have questions as to the impact this type of installation has on the electrical system. I understand that the voltage cannot backflow because of the diodes. However; on the output side wouldn't you have 24V if you powered AUX and courtesy lights at the same time. This is assuming that you have AUX on and having a need to get out of the vehicle, which would trigger the courtesy light switch. Isn't a relay necessary or am I missing something. Input is greatly appreciated since I am wanting to do a similar setup without frying wires or a vehicle.
Did you ever get answer to this question or make the attempt?

JPajot

First Name
Jean-Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Got the rock lights installed last night. Right now they are wired into the aux switch has anyone been able to wire into or set aux switch to follow interior dome lights so it will light up around Jeep when unlocked?

Screenshot_20180807-104100.png
I recently had this done by a local stereo installation shop. They used 2 relays and diodes so that the lights will come on as puddle lights when unlocking the vehicle and activated with the AUX switch. I found plenty of help online on how to do this, but never found a clear wiring diagram to do this myself. So to avoid aggravation, I ended up having a pro wire the lights. What I have found with newer vehicles is that the wiring gauge used for dome/courtesy lights are very thin. Wire t-taps can be tricky and get yourself into trouble quickly as I find out with my interior footwell light project.
Sponsored