First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
I bought a set of the white Oracle 4 Pack Rock Lights and installed them as courtesy lights this weekend. Here are a few pics, comments, and lessons learned. It's a fairly simple mod for the hard core operators on this forum, but I know there are a few other folks interested in this mod, so hopefully this helps.

Oracle Lights

Note that this 4-pack does not come with a remote, just the lights and the connector harness. I also bought one of their extension cords for the light that was going to be the farthest away from the connector but didn't need it based on where I decided to locate the harness. The only other things you might need if you don't have them on hand is additional 20-22 gauge wire and wiring connectors.

I used self-tapping screws to attach the rock lights to the underbody of the Sahara sliders. The plastic is thick and sturdy enough that the screws will hold; the lights feel solidly attached. Another option would be to drill multiple holes and use zip ties if you can fish hook the zip ties through the holes.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed light

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed PXL_20220220_153347800

The lights come with a mounting base that allows the wire to exit in several locations. I then ran the wiring for each light to the frame and snaked the wires with a coat hanger. Where the wires came together, I zip-tied them and ran them together. The cross brace on the frame underbody is hollow, so the wires can go through there.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed wires through frame

First lesson learned: I initially picked the passenger side as the entry side into the cabin and ran the wires in that direction. Bad choice. It is far easier to access the interior from the driver side due to the obstruction on the passenger side from the battery and PDC. I just assumed the grommet on the passenger side was an easy get. Nope. And then I read a bunch of posts about folks cutting other wires while trying to punch through the passenger side, so I checked the other side. Holy cow. It's wide open.

It only took a few minutes to cut my zip ties and run the wires in the other direction. I eliminated the need for the extension cord by deciding to stash the wires and the connector bundle inside the frame then run just a single wire through the grommet inside the cabin. The connectors have gaskets so they should remain relatively water tight.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed wires stashed

I connected the wires to the harness then connected the bare ended red & black wires from the harness to my extra wire then bundled everything up with zip ties tightly and zip tied that rat's nest to the frame. I then ran the single wire behind the fender (no need to pop any rivets off) up to the grommet. My grommet wouldn't turn; I just had to snap it out. I drilled a hole through the middle of the grommet big enough for the wire then pushed it through and replaced the grommet. The grommet did turn and seat when going back in. Here's a pic of the wire running through the grommet:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed grommet with wire though

Second lesson learned: It would have been easier if I had stripped the wire before running it into the footwell. Stripping wires in the footwell is a PITA.

Once I was in the footwell, I was home free right? Nope. It's a pain to work in there especially with wiring. I disconnected the footwell light connector from the light and carefully peeled back the cloth tape. The yellow wire with the brown stripe is the courtesy wire. The purple wire is the ground wire. I elected to use the ground wire rather than attaching to the frame because it was just easier and in the same location.

Third lesson learned: I knew this already but tried it anyway. T-Taps rarely, if ever, work, and if they do, they just chew up the wire. I tried several times to tap the wire but couldn't get a connection. I pulled the taps off, cut the wires, and used butt splice connectors instead. Yes, I cut the factory wires. I'm sure that has just voided my entire warranty.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed wires spliced

And now taped back up and plugged back in:
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed wires taped u

I'm not much of an artist when it comes to wiring and taping but that's OK. Once I got everything back in place, it worked! A FoB click or door open now gives me courtesy lighting under the sliders:

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed lit u

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed lit up 2
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Looking good, and nice writeup, always a few lessons learned when wiring on the fly :)

I did a similar thing, I had to get some amber markers for my high fender kit so I got a 10 pack of cheap Amazon markers for like $15. I put the fender markers on and they really did a nice job so I decided to use the other 8 for an under-glow affect. It worked out well and looks pretty cool like you're sitting over burning embers lol. Put them on the front under the steel fender liners, 2 under each side step and one on each rear lower fender. Just wired them to a toggle switch that I mounted on the lower left footwell/dash panel. A

And yep, much easier to go through that driver side grommet as it's huge!

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
Looks great, thanks for posting!

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
I did a similar thing, I had to get some amber markers for my high fender kit so I got a 10 pack of cheap Amazon markers for like $15. I put the fender markers on and they really did a nice job so I decided to use the other 8 for an under-glow affect. It worked out well and looks pretty cool like you're sitting over burning embers lol. Put them on the front under the steel fender liners, 2 under each side step and one on each rear lower fender. Just wired them to a toggle switch that I mounted on the lower left footwell/dash panel. A

And yep, much easier to go through that driver side grommet as it's huge!
Do you have any pics? I went aftermarket fenders and need some marker lights.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have any pics? I went aftermarket fenders and need some marker lights.
It's just a single marker by the hood lock, just a simple step drill and they went right in :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Lights as Courtesy/Approach Lights Installed IMG_0419.JPG

Sponsored

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I’m kinda doing the same thing except mounting the lights above the rock slider bottom tube not on the bottom of the rock sliders.
Aren’t the rock sliders supposed to slide over rocks?

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I’m kinda doing the same thing except mounting the lights above the rock slider bottom tube not on the bottom of the rock sliders.
Yeah, mine are above the bottom edge of the step, so they wouldn't be the first thing to get destroyed, lol.

OP
OP
bohnster

bohnster

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Altitude GCM
Occupation
Bourbon Taster
Mine are almost fully recessed under the plastic Sahara sliders and I'm not a rock crawler, just a trail runner. If they get damaged though, I'll just use it as an excuse to my wife that I need to buy better sliders, and bigger tires, and some MC skid plates, and...You get where this is going.

Sponsored

Slammed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLRU ,2010 Kia Soul
Just wired mine up today and works perfectly. Like the fade out. Was super easy. I used Luxlights so the install was easy seeing they are magnet mount
Sponsored