TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2.0 turbo, auto
In the very least, you'll be greatly served by adding an adjustable front track bar, adjustable lower control arms, and a rear axle-side track bar relocation bracket. That will allow the centering of both axles side to side, while improving handling by raising your rear roll center to better match the lift height. The adjustable LCA's will allow fine tuning of caster, unlike the fixed ones that come with the lift. Not to mention, arms and linkages from a quality company are stronger to resist flexing under load and also provides much higher quality and longer lasting bushings.

The unavoidable byproduct of higher lift and larger tires is an increase to the amount of leverage that road forces will have on the vehicle. The more you replace of the weak factory steering and suspension linkages, the better it will perform both on and off road. I'm on 38x13.50's sitting on over 4" of lift, and my Rubi drives way better than the day i got it.
20200813_083211.jpg
What lift are you running and what did you regear to?
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
What lift are you running and what did you regear to?
I'm actually on a hybrid Metalcloak/Synergy/SteerSmarts setup.

I originally had the Dynatrac Endurosport true 2" lift, which is nearly as incomplete as the Mopar lift. Both of those claim to not lift enough to throw geometry out of spec. I highly disagree, so i supplemented it with all 8 control arms, rear track bar, and reinforcement brackets on both ends of the rear track bar from Synergy. I went with SteerSmarts for their front track bar, drag link, tie rod, and stabilizer relocation brackets to mount a Fox TS. I recently ditched the 35's for a set of 38's and the less than 2" height from the Dynatrac wasn't cutting it. I pulled it out the other day and replaced it with Metalcloak's 3.5" springs, 6-pack shocks, shock relocation brackets, front drive shaft, and rear sway links. Oh yeah, I took Roky's advice and got a set of Rock Krawler no limits front sway links.

Now to sell the lightly used Dynatrac. Lol

Edit to add: Still on the stock 4.10s with no near plans of regearing. Drives and handles wonderfully!

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edit to add: Still on the stock 4.10s with no near plans of regearing. Drives and handles wonderfully!
I’m surprised the 4:10s are still cutting it. My last jeep already a lift with 39s when I bought it and it hadn’t been regeared and it was a dog.

I’m thinking to have a similar lift height and tire size as you. I was originally thinking 2.5 lift with 37s. Now I’m thinking 3.5 lift still with 37s. I feel like 37s are a great size offroad but will still be a reasonable daily driver. They’re also a lot easier to find than 39-40s. I’m just thinking to go 3.5 instead of 2.5 to ensure max tire stuffage without any rubbing.

Current thinking is to go with the Clayton overland plus with the RK no limit sway bar links. I really like the electronic sway bar disconnect so if I can keep that and still get max articulation, I definitely want to do that.

I appreciate everyone’s input and help. Now I just need to wait long enough to pull the trigger that my wife won’t kill and/or leave me.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I’m surprised the 4:10s are still cutting it. My last jeep already a lift with 39s when I bought it and it hadn’t been regeared and it was a dog.

I’m thinking to have a similar lift height and tire size as you. I was originally thinking 2.5 lift with 37s. Now I’m thinking 3.5 lift still with 37s. I feel like 37s are a great size offroad but will still be a reasonable daily driver. They’re also a lot easier to find than 39-40s. I’m just thinking to go 3.5 instead of 2.5 to ensure max tire stuffage without any rubbing.

Current thinking is to go with the Clayton overland plus with the RK no limit sway bar links. I really like the electronic sway bar disconnect so if I can keep that and still get max articulation, I definitely want to do that.

I appreciate everyone’s input and help. Now I just need to wait long enough to pull the trigger that my wife won’t kill and/or leave me.
The JL's are a whole new animal compared to prior generations. Better engines, especially when mated to the ZF 8-speed. I thought it would've been a dog with bigger tires, which is why I originally went more mild with 35's and 2" lift. Immediately, it was clear that the Jeep barely noticed the difference and my regret of not going bigger started to set in.

As far as lift height, both 2.5" and 3.5" will rub just the same at full stuff. The 3.5" just allows for more flex before the rub. Suspension travel and ground clearance is the gain.

I tried convincing my wife that she must be getting shorter in her old age. It didn't work, not to mention she's only 32. Lol

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Always here to help if you have any questions on our kits! I'd only like to add if you really want the best of both worlds in terms of on road and off road driving, than our Overland Plus kit might be the better option for you as it utilizes Giiro joints on each end of the control arms, which not only help to soak up road noise and vibration on road, but also provide all the flex you need for off road use and rock crawling. Not to mention, they're maintenance free! The Johnny Joints used on our Premium Kit are still a great option, but are definitely geared more towards somebody who wants all the misalignment possible for off road use, and doesn't mind the maintenance required with those joints!
Could you provide details on what maintenance is required with the Overland Plus lift? Others have said the selling point for Metal Cloak is that they're "maintenance free". I hadn't consider this aspect of the purchase before but I suppose the more "maintenance free" it is, the better. I don't mind greasing some joints on a regular basis but is there anything else I should be thinking about?

Sponsored

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Could you provide details on what maintenance is required with the Overland Plus lift? Others have said the selling point for Metal Cloak is that they're "maintenance free". I hadn't consider this aspect of the purchase before but I suppose the more "maintenance free" it is, the better. I don't mind greasing some joints on a regular basis but is there anything else I should be thinking about?
The Giiro bushings that come on the Overland kit are 100% maintenance free. They require absolutely no greasing, and since they are also sealed you don't have to worry about cleaning them since no debris can get inside. They also have a 6 to 7 year life expectancy so these should be with your vehicle for the long haul!

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final question for now: does anyone know how wide the factory wheels are? Are they wide enough to run 12.5" wide tires? I don't really want to replace them if I don't need to. Maybe some day I'll add a set with bead locks but don't see a reason to change them until then.

scottiea11

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jl 4DR 2018
Final question for now: does anyone know how wide the factory wheels are? Are they wide enough to run 12.5" wide tires? I don't really want to replace them if I don't need to. Maybe some day I'll add a set with bead locks but don't see a reason to change them until then.
You'll be good with stock wheels. Clayton also recommends the following. "NOTE: 1. Shocks are optional and we recommend Fox. 2. We recommend 4.75 back spacing with 35-37" tires."

Depending on your model Rubicon will not spacers. Sahara/Sport you'll need spacers.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :like:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...and-backspace-of-stock-jl-rubicon-wheel.3992/

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You'll be good with stock wheels. Clayton also recommends the following. "NOTE: 1. Shocks are optional and we recommend Fox. 2. We recommend 4.75 back spacing with 35-37" tires."

Depending on your model Rubicon will not spacers. Sahara/Sport you'll need spacers.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :like:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...and-backspace-of-stock-jl-rubicon-wheel.3992/
Great! Thanks! That’ll shave a good $700 or $800 off if I don’t need wheels or spacers.

scottiea11

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Jl 4DR 2018

Sponsored

Country JLU

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I ran the RK X Factor on my JK. I ordered the Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus kit today with Fox shocks. They offer a very solid kit and I can’t wait to get it installed!

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely! Good luck, I will be putting the 3.5 premium lift on my Rubi this weekend so we're traveling down the same road.

Quick plug though, I'm selling the following if you're interested in your build and I'm in Austin too!
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...oth-body-reservoir-shock-rear-pair-650.56429/
I’m going to go with the cheaper Fox 2.0s when the time comes. I’m probably several months out at a minimum from installing a lift. Just got the Jeep Friday and will focus on a few smaller items in the interim (bumpers and winch).

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ran the RK X Factor on my JK. I ordered the Clayton 2.5 Overland Plus kit today with Fox shocks. They offer a very solid kit and I can’t wait to get it installed!
I think that’s the route I’m going to go as well.

OP
OP
TheJanitor6203

TheJanitor6203

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Giiro bushings that come on the Overland kit are 100% maintenance free. They require absolutely no greasing, and since they are also sealed you don't have to worry about cleaning them since no debris can get inside. They also have a 6 to 7 year life expectancy so these should be with your vehicle for the long haul!
Can you tell me where the bumper on this Clayton JL is from?

AE5F86EA-5C20-48A5-B8D1-9428DB10A121.jpeg