Rock Krawler maintenance & All general suspension conversation

word302

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Well after all that drama with the bushings, I’ve decided to go back to oem. Lol.

The Rock Jocks are awesome, they really are but through trial and error I’ve decided that they’re not really a good fit with a control arm that already has a krawler joint, Johnny joint, or Heim joint on the frame side. This allows the arm to articulate but doesn’t re-orient the arm back to the original position the arm should be. I think these bushings would work a lot better with control arms with a regular joint on the frame side.

I’ve had a conversation with RK about it, and they’re in agreement with me that the arm needs to re-center when coming off an obstacle.

In other words, the arm stays where you put it, and with it laid over it bangs against the axle housing. You see in pic with oem bushing, the fork and the axle housing stay parallel with each other……….

f51cd086-7695-4a8e-9166-859b9f593455-jpeg.jpg

And with RJ bushing you see how the arm lays over, now this is ok when on the obstacle, but when I come down the arm stays like that……

268f3291-1fe9-4271-874e-113ed68bdd7b-jpeg.jpg

When I was on short arms it wasn’t as big a deal, but these long bastards are a lot more involved in the overall articulation and when they stay laid over and bang on the axle housing you hear about it…….…😁……

Other than a pain in the ass, getting bushings out, the oems are only 10.00 ea, so, I’ll just replace as needed…….✌
Damn it, they’re already in the mail. I really wish you’d do a better job of fully testing things before I order them🤣
Advertisement

engineXI

First Name
jank
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rubicon
Some pre assembly today, got out work early. Anti seize on the krawler joint, setting the lengths, and a squirt or two of grease. Only snugging up the giant jam nut for now until I get my caster set. I only want to torque that 250 ft lb sumbitch once.........😓.

4B61818B-5943-44C5-A6D6-1BD553EBAE35.jpeg
So how do you torque the jam nuts? I assume you have to do this finally with them installed and after making adjustments. But how do you get 300lbs on a jam nut?

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Well lucky for everyone here getting to wrench..... I am still waiting on my @Rock Krawler Suspension coilover kit, ordered in June..... Hmm @Izzo93 got his and we both ordered same day..... I have my PSC steering sitting and waiting..... As well as my hood (extra 100hp;)) .... So is anyone running 42"s? I was thinking maybe heading in that direction but it is very limited on Tires ......

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Well lucky for everyone here getting to wrench..... I am still waiting on my @Rock Krawler Suspension coilover kit, ordered in June..... Hmm @Izzo93 got his and we both ordered same day..... I have my PSC steering sitting and waiting..... As well as my hood (extra 100hp;)) .... So is anyone running 42"s? I was thinking maybe heading in that direction but it is very limited on Tires ......
Nah….. imma run my peasant 37s fir a while. Trying to wear em out so I can take next step…..;)

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
Nah….. imma run my peasant 37s fir a while. Trying to wear em out so I can take next step…..;)
Mine are getting worn real quick.... plus I got my new axles and need new wheels.... so its kind of like the planets are aligned and I have an option for 42"s. It just seems as though most come in 20" rims or larger... which adds to my wheel dilemma? :swear:

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Mine are getting worn real quick.... plus I got my new axles and need new wheels.... so its kind of like the planets are aligned and I have an option for 42"s. It just seems as though most come in 20" rims or larger... which adds to my wheel dilemma? :swear:
Lol….. I hear ya, it sucks when the planets align and your freakin hands are tied, lol…

OP
OP
Roky

Roky

First Name
Roky
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
So how do you torque the jam nuts? I assume you have to do this finally with them installed and after making adjustments. But how do you get 300lbs on a jam nut?
I put it on my buds lift and use a 250 ft lb torque wrench with a crows foot. I get it to 250, then go one more grunt passed. It doesn’t hurt that I’m a Neanderthal, you know, the missing link everyone’s been looking for, been hiding in plain sight here in the woods of central Florida…….😁

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I put it on my buds lift and use a 250 ft lb torque wrench with a crows foot. I get it to 250, then go one more grunt passed. It doesn’t hurt that I’m a Neanderthal, you know, the missing link everyone’s been looking for, been hiding in plain sight here in the woods of central Florida…….😁
I torque them till I shit my pants. Then I torque them some more.

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
so how about a set of 365/85r20's to put on my 1 tons with my RK4.5" coilovers? seems like they are selling them cheap anyone ever run those?

Advertisement

Allmoparparts.com

Advertisement