Rock hard or metalcloak underarmor

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
If this has been addressed on a different thread, please forgive me. I have the JLURD and have been looking at putting underarmor on. Metalcloak has a great system for the diesel and is 7 (0.187 thick) gage steel. Rock hard also uses (7 gage or .187 thick) steel. The rock hard weighs around 280 pouds and is more expensive. This is my first upgrade because I believe that protecting the underside is way more practical than tires, lifting or other mods. My intended goal is to run fun trails like the Rubicon, John Bull and the like. Thanks in advance for all your help.
Sponsored

Last edited:

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve got the full undercloak skids from Metalcloak. I love them. I slide over everything; however, it’s killed my ground clearance. I’m running 315/70/17s and I’ve got less ground clearance than Sports with Rubicon suspensions and tires. Granted, my Jeep is pretty heavy (ACE sliders, LoD bumper w/ winch, Undercloak skids, and Rhino rack).

Next on the list for me is the ST3 lift from Teraflex and 37s.

TxJeepers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Thanks. I have the 3.0 diesel and it seems that skids for that is a work in progress. MC and RH both have skids for the diesel.
I'm leaning towards RH right now but want to wait to see what artec offers before pulling the trigger. Maybe MC just didn't take as good of pics but the RH kit looks more complete to me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm leaning towards RH right now but want to wait to see what artec offers before pulling the trigger. Maybe MC just didn't take as good of pics but the RH kit looks more complete to me.
I agree that RH looks really good. My concern is the amount of maintenance RH requires. I admit that I don't have all the facts, but from my understanding RH needs semi-annual re-builds while MC is maintenance free.

If anyone has thoughts about this please share them with us. Thanks.

bryan8379

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I agree that RH looks really good. My concern is the amount of maintenance RH requires. I admit that I don't have all the facts, but from my understanding RH needs semi-annual re-builds while MC is maintenance free.

If anyone has thoughts about this please share them with us. Thanks.
What would needed in the semi annual rebuild? I didn't see anything about that on their website..

powder coating vs the gold zinc finish is something to consider, I would think that if you get a deep scratch(as you are likely to do on a skid plate) both would rust but at least with the black powder coat it would be easy to see and touch up with your rattle can of choice.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What would needed in the semi annual rebuild? I didn't see anything about that on their website..

powder coating vs the gold zinc finish is something to consider, I would think that if you get a deep scratch(as you are likely to do on a skid plate) both would rust but at least with the black powder coat it would be easy to see and touch up with your rattle can of choice.
Brain fart. I was thinking about RH and MC lift. Me bad.

JLURD_CO

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Diesel
I also have the Diesel and just ordered the Rock Hard aluminum skids. A few reasons I picked Rock Hard over Metal Cloak (both seem great and likely can't go wrong with either):

1) Shape of the RH DEF skid plate seems better for departure angle and clearance on the back. My factory DEF tank skid has taken a few blows (I called RH and asked if they'd sell just the DEF skid...they won't).
2)Aluminum avoids rust risk and reduces weight and maintenance
3) The Rock Hard system includes new cross bars (1" x 2" solid steel) and they appear to be very beefy and will add strength to their entire skid system (not worried about that being steel since they'll be protected by skids).

Good luck, I too am in the camp of protecting the underside stuff that helps you drive it home.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I decided to pull the plug on the MC underarmor and rear diff skid plate today. I was going to also get the FAD plate, front diff cover and relocate stabilizer. I was told however that these items are not recommended for non-lifted jeeps. So down the road I will get them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I decided to pull the plug on the MC underarmor and rear diff skid plate today. I was going to also get the FAD plate, front diff cover and relocate stabilizer. I was told however that these items are not recommended for non-lifted jeeps. So down the road I will get them.
Who told you they weren’t recommended on non lifted jeeps? You would loose a smidge of clearance but the ability to slide over obstacles is a huge benefit along with the protection.

I work a lot with MC and they are by and far my favorite company. We’ve wheeled with them, hung out and toured the shop. Absolutely great folks and company. When you’re talking skids though, we run theirs personally to stick with a theme and can’t go wrong with them. Also the maintenance is non existent with them too. The other companies mentioned in the thread are great too. Artec has the best aluminum skids out hands down. As long as you’re not buying from quadratec or amazon and purchasing from a reputable company you’re going to be in great shape!

Heres ours after our most recent Moab and rubicon wheeling trip. They get beat on pretty good and are showing some dings but are doing their job protecting the jeep.

I believe in them so much that I’m pulling them off, welding them together and going to hang them in the shop for a visual display on the benefits. I’ve already ordered another set to come replace them.

brett

4ADF7442-0787-4085-AA42-046D8DBD5823.jpeg

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually I spoke to Will at MC and he reccomend not to get the FAD cover, relocate and front diff cover. I was ready to purchase and followed his advice.

OP
OP
Ruby Mike

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have misspoke when I said that I pulled the plug. I bought the diesel underarmor and rear diff skid plate. I was told that delivery should take about a month.

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
If this has been addressed on a different thread, please forgive me. I have the JLURD and have been looking at putting underarmor on. Metalcloak has a great system for the diesel and is 7 (0.187 thick) gage steel. Rock hard also uses (7 gage or .187 thick) steel. The rock hard weighs around 280 pouds and is more expensive. This is my first upgrade because I believe that protecting the underside is way more practical than tires, lifting or other mods. My intended goal is to run fun trails like the Rubicon, John Bull and the like. Thanks in advance for all your help.
I just installed the Metalcloak front diff cover and guard. Beefy and well made. Need to test it out now.
Sponsored