Sponsored

Rock Hard 4X4 skids installed

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Even though there are bars and skids already installed from the factory, I just couldn't get past all the gaping holes with really important stuff exposed to rocks. I decided to install a full underbelly skid system. My choices boiled down to Artec and Rock Hard. Rock Hard skids come with a nice coating whereas the Artec skids come raw and being about the same price I went with Rock Hard.

I will start by saying that I have LoD rock sliders that mount to the frame. This causes some issues with the skid system since they share some mounting points and exist in the same areas. I had to cut out 2 notches in the belly skid to clear the front mounts for the sliders.
20180618_185016.jpg
20180618_184951.jpg

They neglected to include the brackets for the gas tank skid but I was able to plow ahead with the rest of the install while I waited. The belly skid was no drama after cutting the notches. The oil pan skid was a PITA, mostly because the brackets don't really line up all that well and there are 2 bolts with nuts that are nearly impossible to get together without being double jointed. Once together, it is solid as a rock.
20180621_193303.jpg
20180623_120609.jpg
20180623_120613.jpg

The resonator skid was no drama at all. The gas tank gave me some worries because of the sliders. I went ahead a lopped off the front frame mount because I was sure it was gonna give me problems. After that I mounted the brackets. 2 of the 3 went on no problem but the one closest to the rear diff fought me to the very end. Once you remove the stock bolt the metal of the stock skid sprung out making it very difficult to get the replacement bolt with bracket attached started. You really need a second set of hands with this damn thing. Lots of expletives later I had it on. Put the skid on after loosening most of the belly skid bolts which you have to do because the tank skid gets pinched between the belly skid and rearmost crossmember. Got it in place and the frame bolt installed. Started hooking up the brackets to the skid and that damn bracket reared its ugly head again. There was no way the nut and bolt they included was going to fit. Regardless of how I tried to manipulate it it was going to be hard into the stock skid to the point of deforming it and maybe intruding into the gas tank. I found some smaller hardware to put there instead. Tightened everything up and I'm done.
20180623_120624.jpg
20180623_120642.jpg
20180623_120653.jpg
20180623_120705.jpg

This has to be the absolute worst install experience I have ever had with a Jeep. The product in the end is excellent and I have no regrets, but I would have had a better install if I didn't have the slider issue and had an extra set of hands. Not a big fan of their brackets either, but they are stout.
Sponsored

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Google Data Center Maintenance Program Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hey! Thanks for the info! I'm working on this same install, but ran into an issue right off the bat. Where the rear crossmember bolts to the factory gas tank skid (the two studs), I could only get one of the nuts to thread on the stud. The outer of the two wouldn't thread at all, even when the crossmember was flush against the gas tank skid. It's like RH didn't bore out that hole deep enough. Did you have any issues with this part?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Jeepsk8

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
No issue there. The crossmember doesn't sit right up to the frame either, the stock skid keeps it from reaching it. It does pull up when you tighten the frame bolts.

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah I had to put a floor jack under the crossmember on that side to get it up close enough to the frame to even get that bolt started.

Thanks!

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Does anyone have their bumpers? I was considering getting their aluminum mid-width bumper for mine in order to save some weight. They have it at 35 lbs while still maintaining the 12k lb winching capacity.

Sponsored

NathanG

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried about adding weight to the front of my Jeep before installing. In total I added about 100lbs over stock with a lod dominator stubby and a lighter 45 lb winch smittybuilt Xrc. I can not tell a difference. Don’t worry too much about adding weight. Your Jeep doesn’t care.

mandrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Looks tough. How's the added weight?

swampcat14

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.c4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Looks tough. How's the added weight?
Same here. Jeep didn't even notice it. I went with the aluminum plates though, so that helps.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
I got their aluminum 2 door set and I will be returning them. They don't fit right and they rattle due to the fitment issues. The spacer bushing is to short and the fuel tank bracket has an offset bend that is wrong.

20181206_102606.jpg

20181206_102658.jpg

Sponsored

Jlrut

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Sahara sold: 2dr Rub ordered 1/17 traded: 2019 2 door picked up 12/27
what product did you end up with or did rockhard come thru with some changes?
thanks,

BobW

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp MT; 2019 GC; 2021 Lego JLR
Clubs

Even though there are bars and skids already installed from the factory, I just couldn't get past all the gaping holes with really important stuff exposed to rocks. I decided to install a full underbelly skid system. My choices boiled down to Artec and Rock Hard. Rock Hard skids come with a nice coating whereas the Artec skids come raw and being about the same price I went with Rock Hard.

I will start by saying that I have LoD rock sliders that mount to the frame. This causes some issues with the skid system since they share some mounting points and exist in the same areas. I had to cut out 2 notches in the belly skid to clear the front mounts for the sliders.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard 4X4 skids installed 20181206_102658

They neglected to include the brackets for the gas tank skid but I was able to plow ahead with the rest of the install while I waited. The belly skid was no drama after cutting the notches. The oil pan skid was a PITA, mostly because the brackets don't really line up all that well and there are 2 bolts with nuts that are nearly impossible to get together without being double jointed. Once together, it is solid as a rock.

The resonator skid was no drama at all. The gas tank gave me some worries because of the sliders. I went ahead a lopped off the front frame mount because I was sure it was gonna give me problems. After that I mounted the brackets. 2 of the 3 went on no problem but the one closest to the rear diff fought me to the very end. Once you remove the stock bolt the metal of the stock skid sprung out making it very difficult to get the replacement bolt with bracket attached started. You really need a second set of hands with this damn thing. Lots of expletives later I had it on. Put the skid on after loosening most of the belly skid bolts which you have to do because the tank skid gets pinched between the belly skid and rearmost crossmember. Got it in place and the frame bolt installed. Started hooking up the brackets to the skid and that damn bracket reared its ugly head again. There was no way the nut and bolt they included was going to fit. Regardless of how I tried to manipulate it it was going to be hard into the stock skid to the point of deforming it and maybe intruding into the gas tank. I found some smaller hardware to put there instead. Tightened everything up and I'm done.

This has to be the absolute worst install experience I have ever had with a Jeep. The product in the end is excellent and I have no regrets, but I would have had a better install if I didn't have the slider issue and had an extra set of hands. Not a big fan of their brackets either, but they are stout.
I know this is an old thread, but I just finished (mostly) the same install on my 2018 JLUR. Really looks like a "your milage may vary" experience.

On mine, the resonator contacts the skid under some motor conditions so I'm trying to figure out a solution (jam in header tape? drill out a hole for clearance?).

Otherwise, while tight working on my garage floor, I found it pretty straightforward, EXCEPT I could never get the passenger side oil pan bracket to fit square to motor mount when inside. Bolting the bracket outside the pan squared up nicely....
Sponsored