Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone running this bumper/tire carrier? I'd like some references before i drop big money, thanks.
RH-90301-2T.jpg
Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have their aluminum rear (without tire carrier) so cannot speak to actual steel version. However, fit and finish by RH is world class. Customer service is top.

I talked to them about this bumper but wanted to stay with aluminum. The only drawback with this one is the tire carrier opens separately which is a deal breaker for my wife. They do get it and how all it works. They seem to have one of teh best designs - especially for a heavy tire.

99wishes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Moab
I think you would be happy with anything from them and they have the best customer service. Going through someone like Northridge only helps.

DaK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392 XR
Ran their bumpers and skids on our well used JK, never an issue. Due to this experience with them, am putting RH products on our JLUR.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
put on this bumper in july, really happy with it, well built. I like how they integrated the license plate and tow harness into the bumper helps protect them and looks nice, all the other designs out there either tack on the side of the bumper like the jks or tjs and are just waiting to get ripped off by a tree on on the tire where you have to take off layers of stuff to get to your spare. I also like how they reused the stock license plat light and third brake light so you do not have to worry about cutting or splicing things into the factory wiring. Also like that they have everything you need on there like CB mount and hi lift mount. Was comparing this to the LOD bumper and did not like how they nickled and dimed you on this items

for cons, i would say the powered coat is not the best and in the thing edges it flakes off, but i live in new england so i expect rust and just touch it up with a rattle can, the other con is a small one with the jerry cann holder, the strap it comes with sucks but you can easily replace it with a ratchet strap.

one thing to look out for with the bumper install, and this more a mopar issue than a rh 4x4 issue is the licence plate light studs are just soft plastic and break off easily when you are removing the stamped nuts, ended up breaking both studs but with some cleaver zip tieing i made it work

Sponsored

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
I have their aluminum versions and the powder coat is excellent. I have been beating on it and no scratches or flaking - even on the edges.

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
put on this bumper in july, really happy with it, well built. I like how they integrated the license plate and tow harness into the bumper helps protect them and looks nice, all the other designs out there either tack on the side of the bumper like the jks or tjs and are just waiting to get ripped off by a tree on on the tire where you have to take off layers of stuff to get to your spare. I also like how they reused the stock license plat light and third brake light so you do not have to worry about cutting or splicing things into the factory wiring. Also like that they have everything you need on there like CB mount and hi lift mount. Was comparing this to the LOD bumper and did not like how they nickled and dimed you on this items

for cons, i would say the powered coat is not the best and in the thing edges it flakes off, but i live in new england so i expect rust and just touch it up with a rattle can, the other con is a small one with the jerry cann holder, the strap it comes with sucks but you can easily replace it with a ratchet strap.

one thing to look out for with the bumper install, and this more a mopar issue than a rh 4x4 issue is the licence plate light studs are just soft plastic and break off easily when you are removing the stamped nuts, ended up breaking both studs but with some cleaver zip tieing i made it work
I'm in the middle of this install. Had the same issue with the license plate light. I went with clear gorrilla glue. Not sure if I'll regret it or not.

For those doing this, be prepared for the following:

The bumper is heavy, get help Also, watch the youtube video, it helps.

They don't really give you guide for how to run the sensor wires. Make sure you get them to run such that you don't pinch them between the frame and the top of the bumper or the spacer block. I managed to do both my first try. Fun.

Getting the bolts to align is a bear, especially the four that go into the side of the frame rail. Get a contortionist with tiny hands and long fingers.

They don't provide the washers you need to seat the tire carrier studs.

The wiring is a pain in the butt and will take forever. This is probably my fault. I ran the lights across the tailgate, up and down into the taillight opening, then under the tub between the body and the bumper. We'll see if I regret this when the jeep starts to flex, but that's how LoD run theirs so I figured why not.

I'm missing some parts (a bolt/nylock nut for the carrier rubber bumper under the latch) and have some parts that aren't mentioned anywhere in the instructions.

When you set the tire on the carrier, if you have low offset, you might need to do the shortest setting. I went that way and still the tire doesn't contact the frame anywhere.

When you run the wiring up the frame, make sure you allow for some slack if you are putting on any accessories. Or put them on before you drill in the wire holders.

Most of the issues above are my issue. Generally I'm very happy with the bumper. I also need to figure out how to keep a ton of mud from being thrown up into the Driver taillight cavity!

I almost forgot. This bumper won't work with the quadratec muffler skid plate, if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The bumper is heavy, get help Also, watch the youtube video, it helps.
Yes, the bumper is heavy. I don't have the tire carrier, just the steel patriot rear bumper. I completed the install alone with the help of a transmission jack. Because the bumper bottom is flat the trans jack was perfect to assist with the install.
Ended up using an engine hoist to install the steel front patriot bumper by myself. These things are HEAVY, but I love them.

Fouts

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon Unlimited
Installed my Patriot rear bumper no tire carrier yesterday. This thing is nice, very stout, and fits extremely well. I did have a very difficult time installing. Like others I had to redo wiring harness so parking sensors would reach but the sensor keepers Rockhard provides worked great. Mine didn't line up very well so spent a lot of time just getting bolts in holes and the holes inside the frame rails are a squeeze to get to. At 90 lbs the transmission jack would have been nice.

IMG_20200317_151553.jpg

Sponsored

Megalodon

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Jeep, 2500 dodge, ctsv cad, corolla toy, sportster HD
Rock Hard 4x4ā„¢ Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier for Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 - Current [RH-90301]
does this come in aluminum?

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Rock Hard 4x4ā„¢ Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier for Jeep Wrangler JL 2018 - Current [RH-90301]
does this come in aluminum?
No - that is what I wanted. They cannot weld the mounting point to an aluminum bumper. That is why I ended up with the aluminum bumper and Rusty's carrier.

Lou_JLU

First Name
Louis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara, 2019 JL Wrangler Sahara
Installed my Patriot rear bumper no tire carrier yesterday. This thing is nice, very stout, and fits extremely well. I did have a very difficult time installing. Like others I had to redo wiring harness so parking sensors would reach but the sensor keepers Rockhard provides worked great. Mine didn't line up very well so spent a lot of time just getting bolts in holes and the holes inside the frame rails are a squeeze to get to. At 90 lbs the transmission jack would have been nice.

IMG_20200317_151553.jpg
The bumper Install looks great. Take measures to rust proof it.

I installed the steel front and rear bumpers July/August 2019 along with the adjustable tire carrier. The heft of 1/4" plate steel and the welding is very good. The powder coat finish looked great and capable of looking good for a few seasons without much TLC.

Fast forward a few winter months with the use of salt on the roads and you can see that I was wrong. Had I known what I was going to end up with after only 7 months I would have purchased them unpainted and done the job to completion. Not saying your powder coat is the same quality as mine but I consider what I got a fair weather coating. I've got some work to do this year.

Not all power coating is the same. The LOD sliders I put on in October '19 show only a bit of rust at the weld locations. Everywhere else, even the areas stepped on each day are clear of rust. LOD describes their process of powder coating at their website and they clearly have produced an effective coating process.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier Front bumper

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier Rear bumper

Jeep Wrangler JL Rock Hard 4x4 Patriot Series Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier Tire Carrier

Last edited:

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
The bumper Install looks great. Take measures to rust proof it.

I installed the steel front and rear bumpers July/August 2019 along with the adjustable tire carrier. The heft of 1/4" plate steel and the welding is very good. The powder coat finish looked great and capable of looking good for a few seasons without much TLC.

Fast forward a few winter months with the use of salt on the roads and you can see that I was wrong. Had I known what I was going to end up with after only 7 months I would have purchased them unpainted and done the job to completion. Not saying your powder coat is the same quality as mine but I consider what I got a fair weather coating. I've got some work to do this year.

Not all power coating is the same. The LOD sliders I put on in October '19 show only a bit of rust at the weld locations. Everywhere else, even the areas stepped on each day are clear of rust. LOD describes their process of powder coating at their website and they clearly have produced an effective coating process.

Front bumper.jpg

Rear bumper.jpg

Tire Carrier.jpg

View attachment 294000
WOW!
Sponsored