First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Asking for experience of 2.0 turbo NON hybrid owners, like the 2021 model.

I had a brief test drive of a 2021 Turbo 4 JLUR, and did not feel anything more than possibly a slight turbo lag. Driving on the road, I like the engine. However, I plant to off road a lot, with some rock crawling (like John Bull trail in southern California, and equivalent).

Is turbo lag and subsequent turbo surge is a problem when crawling over rocks with this engine?

Hoping to order my first Jeep soon.
Sponsored

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
I specifically didn’t love the turbo lag off-road, but it did fine really , once you get used to where and how the turbo hits it’s fine. Also there was concern about the turbo over heating, I had it out sun up to sundown on advanced trail in Arizona, during the summer.. 120 degress .. never came close to over heating .. it actually had some sort of secondary cooling process that kicked on and was loud as hell but kept the turbo and engine at temp. All that said my jlu got bought back for issues with steering, transmission, electrical, and the water pump in the first 9 months... the engine itself never had an issue. I did get the v6 on the replacement vehicle, mainly because i feel the v6 is really right there in power, and the power is more refined and stable for on and off-road use. The sound is better, and I was never blown away by the i4 gas mileage... overall the v6 is a more stable refined/polished engine in my opinion.. in had it in my jk and two grand Cherokee never had a problem with it and I found it to be a quick workhorse of a motor.. the i4 was peppy and fun and a little cheaper, but I found it noisy, the turbo wasn’t smooth like my wife’s Audi, it had some lag and you feel the turbo pull in i4.. probably because it’s combined with the 4.1 gearing of my rubicon,, but the v6 in my jku was smooth and that had the old 6spd tranny...and I saw exactly the same mileage in my v6 jku as the i4 jlu... so you won’t be unhappy either way.. i4 saves you a little coin but the v6 is more of a refined powerplant

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
... the engine itself never had an issue. I did get the v6 on the replacement vehicle, mainly because i feel the v6 is really right there in power, and the power is more refined and stable for on and off-road use. The sound is better, and I was never blown away by the i4 gas mileage... overall the v6 is a more stable refined/polished engine in my opinion.. in had it in my jk and two grand Cherokee never had a problem with it and I found it to be a quick workhorse of a motor.. the i4 was peppy and fun and a little cheaper, but I found it noisy, the turbo wasn’t smooth like my wife’s Audi, it had some lag and you feel the turbo pull in i4.. probably because it’s combined with the 4.1 gearing of my rubicon,, but the v6 in my jku was smooth and that had the old 6spd tranny...and I saw exactly the same mileage in my v6 jku as the i4 jlu... so you won’t be unhappy either way.. i4 saves you a little coin but the v6 is more of a refined powerplant
Exactly the kind of feedback I am looking for. Thank you.

Hopefully I get more replies from people that have actually driven their turbo 4s over rocks and difficult terrain.

This was the first time I ever drove a turbo motor. And a brief test drive just doesn't tell the whole story.

I had originally planned to get the V6, but since they added the E-torque on the V6 and charge more for it, I am looking for more feedback on the 4. I definitely don't want to be lunging over rocks if I can crawl over nice and easy. But I am also concerned about wheeling with the E torque system now on the V6, in regards to heat and durability.

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase

Hopefully I get more replies from people that have actually driven their turbo 4s over rocks and difficult terrain.

This was the first time I ever drove a turbo motor. And a brief test drive just doesn't tell the whole story.

I had originally planned to get the V6, but since they added the E-torque on the V6 and charge more for it, I am looking for more feedback on the 4. I definitely don't want to be lunging over rocks if I can crawl over nice and easy. But I am also concerned about wheeling with the E torque system now on the V6, in regards to heat and durability.
Ya I read the etorque system is pretty smooth the i4 has the ESS which is pointless and annoying... it turns off at every light for like 2 seconds..

One thing the turbo has is more power at altitude so if you live in an area where all your trails are in the mountains that is something to consider..

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I’m not an expert rock crawler. Done some light off roading and obstacles at big bear and played a little at cleghorn. When going slow and careful, I don’t feel I’ve ever experienced any weird lags or surges from the turbo. Take my feedback with a grain of salt as I’ve never had any off roading experience in a different vehicle.

I love the fuel efficiency of the 4 cylinder and when upgrading to bigger heavier tires/wheels, that extra 30 ft/lbs of torque would make a difference.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque

I dont think the eTorque is unreliable. RAM 1500s have had it before it was rolled out on the first JLs. The 1500 drivers have never complained and nor has there been a major recall on the eTorque. It seems solid in my eyes.

just chillin

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon , 2019 Chevy diesel dually
Occupation
Crane operator
I don’t notice much difference in the rubicon models with low gears and in low range. There is zero engine braking going down hill. On the mountain highways at elevation you will give thanks to the turbo gods as you pass the 3.6 Jeep’s gasping for air. I have to admit after driving the v6 for years , I was skeptical about the I4 but am very impressed.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
2021 JLUR 2L non torque, all stock. Haven't done rock crawling with it yet, but in mud and deep snow it does great. I guess I've driven it enough that I don't notice any lag. I also have 2019 JLU 3.6 non torque. I live at 7000 ft and often drive above 10000 ft and I prefer the 2.0. I've only used 86 octane in both Jeeps. Taking the JLUR to CO next week and looking forward to first long distance trip with it.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Took my 2021 2.0T onto a forest road yesterday with about a foot of slushy snow in places, climbing back out it was no problem, didn't have any issues with throttle twitchiness or anything. Haven't had a chance to use 4L on any rocky terrain yet. This was at about 7,500 feet in Colorado. Also got 27MPG according to the trip computer round trip, which I thought was pretty impressive for a 2+ ton brick - mostly highway and some off-roading.

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
I have a 2.0 JLUR. It’s been off road quite a bit. It does well. There isn’t any issues with turbo lag. It has plenty of torque. I’m quite impressed with its performance and capabilities. It’s not the gas guzzler my wife’s 07 sport was. i stuck some 35’s in it, and I drive pretty heavy on the gas. I still clock 18 mpg. I don’t do much if any highway driving.
Quite happy with the engine. Glad I went this route.

Here is some video in 4lo. Nothing crazy, but a lot of fun.

Sponsored

jason0341

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0L Rubicon
I have a 2020 2.0 JLUR. I’ve wheeled it all over Colorado. No issues at all and does great on and offroad. I live at 6300ft and have wheeled it over rocks all the way up to 13.6K. There are some locals who have had issues at high altitude and the 2.0 Etorque that Jeep can’t replicate or fix. We are all curious to see the 3.6 etorque up high this Summer to see if they act the same way.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
I specifically didn't buy the V6 because of the whole ETorque thing. I have done some pretty technical crawling with mine on 37's with the 4.10's and was really impressed with the amount of control it gave. I never felt short on power even while trying to gently nudge the front over some pretty large stuff. I went up a granite shelf where the edge was crumbling so it took precise throttle management and I had no issue cause by the motor.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Even here on long Island, at just feet above sea level, the higher torque is quite noticeable just pulling out of the dealer parking lot. I drove over 100 different Jeeps, doing direct comparisons of the 2.0 and 3.6. The 3.6 needed a heavier throttle input before waking up, whereas the 2.0 moved effortlessly with less input.

OP
OP
NewbieJon

NewbieJon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I don’t notice much difference in the rubicon models with low gears and in low range. There is zero engine braking going down hill. On the mountain highways at elevation you will give thanks to the turbo gods as you pass the 3.6 Jeep’s gasping for air. I have to admit after driving the v6 for years , I was skeptical about the I4 but am very impressed.
Interesting about zero engine braking. I will be off roading a lot in southern California mountains. The drive home is several thousand feet downhill. I always rely on engine braking so I don't overheat the brakes. Also, I live on a hill. Just leaving my house, I run the car in 2nd gear so I don't need to ride the brakes down to the bottom.

Hmmm.

Buckzona

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLU
Asking for experience of 2.0 turbo NON hybrid owners, like the 2021 model.

I had a brief test drive of a 2021 Turbo 4 JLUR, and did not feel anything more than possibly a slight turbo lag. Driving on the road, I like the engine. However, I plant to off road a lot, with some rock crawling (like John Bull trail in southern California, and equivalent).

Is turbo lag and subsequent turbo surge is a problem when crawling over rocks with this engine?

Hoping to order my first Jeep soon.
Prior to getting my '21 JLUR I rented a 2.0 Turbo from Barlow Jeeps in Sedona (with another store in Moab). I told them I was in the market to buy one and they highly recommended the 2.0 after they had previously run the 3.6 in their rentals. I have taken my Jeep on a few moderate to difficult rock crawl trails in AZ (Broken Arrow, Back Road to Crown King, Table Mesa) and it has performed wonderfully. That said, I've never run a 3.6 so I have no basis for comparison, except the advice from the experts at Barlow. It seems to effortlessly pull me up the rocks. Good luck with your decision!
Sponsored