Sponsored

"Rock bottom" price to replace my Rubicon that caught fire.

mikedibilio

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Occupation
High School Administrator
I purchased a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited on 9/23/2019 with 5100 miles that the dealer had gotten at auction. Two weeks later while driving, the engine began to smoke and within short time caught fire and burnt up entirely. The insurance company declared it a total loss and after a runaround with them, I finally received insurance money to pay off my loan and I had a nice chunk of money to put down on a brand new one. After speaking to the dealer, having unsuccessfully attempted to locate an identical Rubi, (manual transmissions are virtually impossible to find), the dealer offered to build me a brand new 2020 with all the specs on my last one and that they would be giving me an absolute rock bottom deal that no one could touch in an attempt to "make me happy". The dealership has been awesome. I ordered a new Rubi on 10/21 and the ship date is scheduled for today 11/3, although I am skeptical on that. We have not settled in on a price yet, but I was told that it would be somewhere around 46,000. This is for a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited, Black clearcoat, with: Steel bumper group, the 8.4" Radio with Premium Alpine Audio, LED lighting Group, Safety Group, 6 speed manual transmission, soft top, trimmed leather seats, and body colored fender flares. My question is this...Does $46,000 sound as rock bottom as the dealer could go? The build on Jeep's site comes in at 50,965. It would seem to me that there is more room for them to go even lower for the mere inconvenience of this entire situation. A virtually brand new Rubicon should not catch fire and burn up after having it for only two weeks. What do some of you guys think would be a "Rock Bottom" price for what I described in the specs above?
Sponsored

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
My '20 stickered at $59k, and I was out the door for $57k including 7yr unlimited mile Mopar warranty and taxes (almost $5k as we are in a high sales-tax only state). I did let them keep the soft top as it came with dual top option and I only wanted the hard top. The credit was $1000 for that so that would make the sticker more like $58k. Taxes and warranty added up to almost $7000 making my purchase price around $50k. Given all that, I was somewhere around 6% below invoice and 13-14% below MSRP.

Based on your numbers it looks like you are being offered 10% below MSRP, which may be calculated as a little more depending on whatever stupid add-ons like doc fees, destination, etc. they are adding to the MSRP price. You could probably drill them down a bit or even shop around to show yourself and them the best deal.

As for what they "should" do, any real incentives should be expected from FCA, not the dealer. I am guessing they had no clue the thing would catch on fire and it is not their fault. Based on the event, FCA should be the one offering any goodwill discount. The dealer wants to keep your business but they still have to make $$.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Not to get off topic but you are either the 4th or 5th manual transmission owner that has had their jeep go up in flames. I wonder if there are more out there that do not post on forums.

Do not know much as far as pricing goes with all the packages.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
46k seems pretty dang good for a JLUR. Hopefully it's not too good to be true. I'm pulling for you. I have a manual '18 2-door Rubi (ordered) and all-in was about 54k with everything except the tow package. Hard top, 8.4, Alpine, body-color fenders, leather-ish butt-holders. Plastic at the ends since I knew I was going for after-market steel.

No flames...The only thing hot about it is its appearance.

OP
OP
mikedibilio

mikedibilio

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not to get off topic but you are either the 4th or 5th manual transmission owner that has had their jeep go up in flames. I wonder if there are more out there that do not post on forums.

Do not know much as far as pricing goes with all the packages.

Damn...I don't like the sound of that. Anyone else out there have their manuel Rubicon catch fire and burn up? What model year? Mine was a 2018 and I ordered a 2020 with the manual tranny.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikedibilio

mikedibilio

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My '20 stickered at $59k, and I was out the door for $57k including 7yr unlimited mile Mopar warranty and taxes (almost $5k as we are in a high sales-tax only state). I did let them keep the soft top as it came with dual top option and I only wanted the hard top. The credit was $1000 for that so that would make the sticker more like $58k. Taxes and warranty added up to almost $7000 making my purchase price around $50k. Given all that, I was somewhere around 6% below invoice and 13-14% below MSRP.

Based on your numbers it looks like you are being offered 10% below MSRP, which may be calculated as a little more depending on whatever stupid add-ons like doc fees, destination, etc. they are adding to the MSRP price. You could probably drill them down a bit or even shop around to show yourself and them the best deal.

As for what they "should" do, any real incentives should be expected from FCA, not the dealer. I am guessing they had no clue the thing would catch on fire and it is not their fault. Based on the event, FCA should be the one offering any goodwill discount. The dealer wants to keep your business but they still have to make $$.

Thank you very much for the input. Much appreciated.

offset_98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1993 Nissan 300ZX, 2015 Subaru Outback, 2011 Toyota Sienna
Manual with 4K. No fires

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased a 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited on 9/23/2019 with 5100 miles that the dealer had gotten at auction. Two weeks later while driving, the engine began to smoke and within short time caught fire and burnt up entirely. The insurance company declared it a total loss and after a runaround with them, I finally received insurance money to pay off my loan and I had a nice chunk of money to put down on a brand new one. After speaking to the dealer, having unsuccessfully attempted to locate an identical Rubi, (manual transmissions are virtually impossible to find), the dealer offered to build me a brand new 2020 with all the specs on my last one and that they would be giving me an absolute rock bottom deal that no one could touch in an attempt to "make me happy". The dealership has been awesome. I ordered a new Rubi on 10/21 and the ship date is scheduled for today 11/3, although I am skeptical on that. We have not settled in on a price yet, but I was told that it would be somewhere around 46,000. This is for a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited, Black clearcoat, with: Steel bumper group, the 8.4" Radio with Premium Alpine Audio, LED lighting Group, Safety Group, 6 speed manual transmission, soft top, trimmed leather seats, and body colored fender flares. My question is this...Does $46,000 sound as rock bottom as the dealer could go? The build on Jeep's site comes in at 50,965. It would seem to me that there is more room for them to go even lower for the mere inconvenience of this entire situation. A virtually brand new Rubicon should not catch fire and burn up after having it for only two weeks. What do some of you guys think would be a "Rock Bottom" price for what I described in the specs above?
That's a better deal than I got on my 2018. I paid about $47k before the lifetime warranty, and I didn't get leather. I did get the towing, cold weather package, LED lights, and the optional wheels, though.

I haven't negotiated a deal since then, but it looks like a pretty good deal, to me. I'm sure others with more recent experience can chime in.

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Damn...I don't like the sound of that. Anyone else out there have their manuel Rubicon catch fire and burn up? What model year? Mine was a 2018 and I ordered a 2020 with the manual tranny.
Few threads on this forum. And another guy I follow on Instagram.

mines a manual and I have 18k miles

Gellie

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You haven’t settled on price? Did you give a deposit? If so on what? Did the dealer put the order in as sold? How do you order a car with NO negotiated price? First for me.

Sponsored

OP
OP
mikedibilio

mikedibilio

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You haven’t settled on price? Did you give a deposit? If so on what? Did the dealer put the order in as sold? How do you order a car with NO negotiated price? First for me.

The price is $46,000 and if there are any other incentives when it arrives that can bring it down a little more. I’m just wondering if I’m in a position to get the price even lower. $46,000 is a GREAT deal but is it the BEST one? That’s my question.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
The price is $46,000 and if there are any other incentives when it arrives that can bring it down a little more. I’m just wondering if I’m in a position to get the price even lower. $46,000 is a GREAT deal but is it the BEST one? That’s my question.
Looks like $46k is invoice pricing. You should be able to get 3-8% under that on a factory order.

You can add it up using this sheet: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/2020-jeep-wrangler-jl-order-guide-2-door.32991/

ecentric

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 2.0 Ocean Blue
I'm going to ignore for a moment the terrible situation you got put in with your 2018, and just focus on the numbers as if you were buying from zero.

When I matched your build on the Jeep site (you forgot to mention Advanced Safety Group, Cargo Tub Liner, and Soft Top Window Storage Bag) against the October pricing (which the Jeep site is notoriously terrible at reflecting), the MSRP of your build is $51115, and the Invoice is $48314.

Without the actual order sheet from the dealer, I can't be sure of the holdback, and you didn't mention if you had an affiliate (e.g. Tread Lightly) discount that would get you the friends and family pricing (FFP), but to give you an example, I had very similar pricing on my order (51810 MSRP), and if you take the friends and family price on my order sheet and subtract the holdback, you get about $46600, which I considered to be a good deal in my area, though I theoretically could have done slightly better on price going out of state (MA has a lot of disincentives to going out of state, unfortunately).

So the short answer comes down to this: If you have a FFP (like Tread Lightly), the dealer will get whatever kickback comes with that, but not much if anything else. If you don't qualify for FFP, it's a very good deal from everything I've been able to find. It's not as cheap as a group buy with discounts in place (like Criswell, etc.), but I don't believe the dealer is making much here.

That said, they're not losing money on it either, so if you feel like that's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth, and you don't mind waiting a bit longer by starting over, you can see if Criswell (MD), Koons (VA), or one of the other eager sellers will give you a better number, and walk on your local dealer.

OP
OP
mikedibilio

mikedibilio

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm going to ignore for a moment the terrible situation you got put in with your 2018, and just focus on the numbers as if you were buying from zero.

When I matched your build on the Jeep site (you forgot to mention Advanced Safety Group, Cargo Tub Liner, and Soft Top Window Storage Bag) against the October pricing (which the Jeep site is notoriously terrible at reflecting), the MSRP of your build is $51115, and the Invoice is $48314.

Without the actual order sheet from the dealer, I can't be sure of the holdback, and you didn't mention if you had an affiliate (e.g. Tread Lightly) discount that would get you the friends and family pricing (FFP), but to give you an example, I had very similar pricing on my order (51810 MSRP), and if you take the friends and family price on my order sheet and subtract the holdback, you get about $46600, which I considered to be a good deal in my area, though I theoretically could have done slightly better on price going out of state (MA has a lot of disincentives to going out of state, unfortunately).

So the short answer comes down to this: If you have a FFP (like Tread Lightly), the dealer will get whatever kickback comes with that, but not much if anything else. If you don't qualify for FFP, it's a very good deal from everything I've been able to find. It's not as cheap as a group buy with discounts in place (like Criswell, etc.), but I don't believe the dealer is making much here.

That said, they're not losing money on it either, so if you feel like that's going to leave a bad taste in your mouth, and you don't mind waiting a bit longer by starting over, you can see if Criswell (MD), Koons (VA), or one of the other eager sellers will give you a better number, and walk on your local dealer.

Thank you so much for your thorough reply. I appreciate the input.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Do you have a build sheet? That would help a lot.

If sticker is $51k, you can do better. There are a couple dealerships offering 8% off invoice. Which would come close to 7k off of sticker.
Sponsored