Roam steps wired directly to interior lights

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
I wired my roam step lights directly to my foot lamps, has anyone else gone this route.
I did some rudimentary calculating on amp draw and figured that the draw is so low per circuit than what the factory harness could handle. I wired the driver side step lights to the driver side lamps and the passenger to the passenger side lamps.
The ground is to the battery negative.
So for no issues and they fade on and off the same as the interior lights.
I’m interested to hear your guys thoughts.
Sponsored

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
@boogie wired his directly to the lamps under each side of the dash (both hot and ground) and hasn't had any issues. My steps arrive on Wednesday along with the Oznium LED upgrades and I plan on doing the same thing.

JimT

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I wired my roam step lights directly to my foot lamps, has anyone else gone this route.
I did some rudimentary calculating on amp draw and figured that the draw is so low per circuit than what the factory harness could handle. I wired the driver side step lights to the driver side lamps and the passenger to the passenger side lamps.
The ground is to the battery negative.
So for no issues and they fade on and off the same as the interior lights.
I’m interested to hear your guys thoughts.
This sounds great as I have been delaying on wiring mine up because of how complicated the instructions were to connect under the hood. Did you wire in parallel? Can you share more details? How did you connect to the lamp circuit? I like the idea of avoiding the wire from side to side.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Please do some write-ups fellas!!

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Search @TTEChris thread on lighting roam steps and find @boogie detail in there. Looks pretty easy. I think you still need to get through the firewall?

Sponsored

jmkling

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rvgreenboard.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR with Sky Top
Occupation
Retired Navy Commander
Got mine today, replaced led with amber ones, wired up, put in connectors and ready for JLUR when it arrives in a week, will directly connect to foot well light. If you see how tiny the wire is for the actual LED's, the draw is most likely lower than the existing foot light. I was testing with just a simple 9 volt alkaline battery...

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
I'm waiting for the water proof connectors to come via amazon because I guess nobody carries them in stores anymore... I might prep the steps at least and finish the soldering and shrink tubing.

jmkling

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rvgreenboard.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR with Sky Top
Occupation
Retired Navy Commander

Sponsored

jmkling

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rvgreenboard.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR with Sky Top
Occupation
Retired Navy Commander
Where's the best place to buy them? Directly from ROAM?
Yes, since I was local to Houston, I picked them up directly and saved the shipping, they come in a long box that weighs like 75 pounds.
I did everything via email with Anthony [email protected]. They have body or frame mount, I went with body mount but they look the same.

OP
OP

jruss

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport Unlimited
Please do some write-ups fellas!!
There’s not a lot to write up on the wiring side. The hardest parts was running through the firewall on the drivers side for me.
All of the lights are run in parallel and I grounded to the body rather than the frame.
I have a power probe so I used it to check for positive on the factory footwell light harness so I can’t even really remember what color wire it was.
I did use each foot well to power a side, that’s probably the main thing. So there is a power wire running from each foot well to that sides lights on the steps.