Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Hi everyone,

I've got a few updates and clarifications on this topic:

1st update (May 2019): We've made a few changes to our ordering process:

Effectively immediately, we will no longer be offering our JL Side Armor Steps with powdercoating standard. Our JL Side Armor Steps will be shipped bare metal (requires paint and/or powdercoating for rust proofing).

Powdercoating will now be an optional cost added item and warrantied separately.

Effective as of May 15th 2019, our JL Side Armor Steps will also carry a new pricing structure to reflect the updated options:

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (Bare Metal - without powdercoating, requires paint and/or powdercoating for rust resistance, POR-15 recommended where available): $399 (shipping not included).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (with a 2 stage powdercoat finish - we will swap to a new local powdercoater, available June/July 2019): $499 (shipping not included).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (with Line-X - adds 2-4 weeks lead time to the order): $599 (shipping not included).

The MK1 ROAM JL Side Armor Steps will be discontinued in Q3/Q4 2019 pending the general availability of the MK3 ROAM JL Rock Rails.

Please note that the above changes are applicable only to the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps and not the ROAM JL Rock Rails, which despite having a similar appearance, are a different product altogether.

The ROAM JL Rock Rails are E-Coated. Our E-Coat process is an industry first (within the US) and is rated for >2500hrs+ in a corrosion test chamber and should beat any other surface coating technologies currently used in the market. To date, there has been no reports of anyone with a production set of our JL Rock Rails whom have experienced any rust issues. This is because the E-Coat process is not only significantly more resistant to rust altogether, but also because during the E-Coat process, the entire structure of our JL Rock Rails is submerged and then rotated for 100 percent coverage. The E-Coat solution itself is also far more environmentally friendly than powdercoating; E-Coat solutions in general are also inherently more inert than powdercoating and is not sacrificial in nature.

2nd update (May 2019):

If you are experiencing perforating rust with your ROAM JL Side Armor Steps, please contact our customer service for further action.

Please note that while some care and/or maintenance is required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (especially around the concave angles and internal surfaces), the ROAM JL Rock Rails does not require any maintenance except for periodic cleaning (via a pressure washer or car wash). The ROAM JL Side Armor Steps are powdercoated and the ROAM JL Rock Rails are E-Coated. Periodic maintenance is only required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps.

Please refer to post #55 for all of the currently available remedy options (for the MK1 ROAM JL Side Armor Steps).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps -> If you're within the warranty period and are experiencing perforating rust or any other structural issues, we'd be happy to send out a replacement set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (shipping not included). Our warranty covers perforating rust damage, so while it can be applied towards surface rust, its not meant to cover the appearance of surface rust (which should be addressed via maintenance). Please note that the powdercoating is a consumable item and is meant to be reapplied when depleted. This is not as cost effective as finding a local powdercoater because of the relatively high cost of cross shipping.

ROAM JL Rock Rails -> If you have a set of our JL Rock Rails and are experiencing ANY rust at all (unless there is surface damage, such as an abrasion through the E-Coat), please contact our customer service. The E-Coat should be rust proof altogether and while we haven't come across a single instance of surface rust and/or other rust so far on any of our production ROAM JL Rock Rails (does not apply if you have one of our prototypes or an engineering release), we always welcome the feedback as we strive to improve our product.

3rd update (May 2019, available Q3 2019):

Our MK3 JL Rock Rails (MK3 ROAM JL Rock Rails with integrated boat side undercarriage armor plates) will be available in Q3 2019. <images are attached below>

Current projected retail for the MK3 is ~$899 with integrated boat side skid plates (also available without the integrated boat side skid plates for ~$699, and ~$999 for stainless steel).

A retrofit system / upgrade option will be available for anyone whom has purchased a set of our MK1 and/or our MK2 JL Rock Rails. A direct replacement upgrade path will also be available for anyone whom has purchased a set of our MK1 JL Side Armor Steps. Please note that the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps and the ROAM JL Rock Rails are not the same product/series despite having a similar exterior appearance.

MK3 integrated boat side sliders 008.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 006.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 005.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 003.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 002.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 004.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 001.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 007.png

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM

Last edited:

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
For those that have Linex'd their Roam steps, was Linex able to coat the inside of the steps? Mine are rusting massively on the insides.
Mine are rusting like crazy on the inside. We have had lots of snow in our area over the winter and the steps didnt hold up. Ill just rattle can them untill I can get some of the LOD ones.

algoo31

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Front bumper rusting here after 4 months and the JL has not been driven in the salt although I do live in Pa.
Good thing I didnt get the bumper. I was looking at both the front and rear.

Sponsored

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
I did alot of research before going with my Roam Rock Rails. I went for the MK2 Rock Rails over the Side steps because of the E coating process. But i remember the days where you could buy a JCR Bumper in a kit and you had to weld it together and coat it to your liking. I think alot of people expect everything to be perfect right out of the gate. I applaud Roam for constantly improving their product and refining the process. Thats what makes a good company in my opinion.
I got MK2 Frame mounted Sliders. They are super stout. i smashed mine all over during EJS. They never budged. And then i drove all across country through blizzards in the Rockies. Still zero corrosion.

slider.jpg

ogjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jeep Wrangler Turbo 2 door Mojito
I am one of the lucky few who has a Front bumper , Rear Bumper and Sliders. Ive winched people out with the front. Bashed the rear coming down inclines. Pulled jeeps out of the trail miles away with it. Smacked the hell out of my sliders in Moab at EJS. All i can say is my experience has been top notch. No corrosion. And honestly no visible damage either.
Now granted i got all of the recent versions.
It was my understanding that Roam was the First in the market to release these steps for the JLU. And that a small percentage of the first run has had rust issues. Since they released they have constantly refined the process. And implimented an E-Coating dip process that completely submerges the slider for full coverage.

Also they have an upgrade path for people who bought the first run of MK1 Side steps. I just hope they let me upgrade my MK2 steps to the new Boatsides they are releasing. Those are sick

AmesosaurusRex

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Punk'n Metallic
I am one of the lucky few who has a Front bumper , Rear Bumper and Sliders. Ive winched people out with the front. Bashed the rear coming down inclines. Pulled jeeps out of the trail miles away with it. Smacked the hell out of my sliders in Moab at EJS. All i can say is my experience has been top notch. No corrosion. And honestly no visible damage either.
Now granted i got all of the recent versions.
It was my understanding that Roam was the First in the market to release these steps for the JLU. And that a small percentage of the first run has had rust issues. Since they released they have constantly refined the process. And implimented an E-Coating dip process that completely submerges the slider for full coverage.

Also they have an upgrade path for people who bought the first run of MK1 Side steps. I just hope they let me upgrade my MK2 steps to the new Boatsides they are releasing. Those are sick
Where did you see the boatsides?

Sponsored

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Hi everyone,

I've got a few updates and clarifications on this topic:

1st update (May 2019): We've made a few changes to our ordering process:

Effectively immediately, we will no longer be offering our JL Side Armor Steps with powdercoating standard. Our JL Side Armor Steps will be shipped bare metal (requires paint and/or powdercoating for rust proofing).

Powdercoating will now be an optional cost added item and warrantied separately.

Effective as of May 15th 2019, our JL Side Armor Steps will also carry a new pricing structure to reflect the updated options:

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (Bare Metal - without powdercoating, requires paint and/or powdercoating for rust resistance, POR-15 recommended where available): $399 (shipping not included).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (with a 2 stage powdercoat finish - we will swap to a new local powdercoater, available June/July 2019): $499 (shipping not included).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (with Line-X - adds 2-4 weeks lead time to the order): $599 (shipping not included).

The MK1 ROAM JL Side Armor Steps will be discontinued in Q3/Q4 2019 pending the general availability of the MK3 ROAM JL Rock Rails.

Please note that the above changes are applicable only to the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps and not the ROAM JL Rock Rails, which despite having a similar appearance, are a different product altogether.

The ROAM JL Rock Rails are E-Coated. Our E-Coat process is an industry first (within the US) and is rated for >2500hrs+ in a corrosion test chamber and should beat any other surface coating technologies currently used in the market. To date, there has been no reports of anyone with a production set of our JL Rock Rails whom have experienced any rust issues. This is because the E-Coat process is not only significantly more resistant to rust altogether, but also because during the E-Coat process, the entire structure of our JL Rock Rails is submerged and then rotated for 100 percent coverage. The E-Coat solution itself is also far more environmentally friendly than powdercoating; E-Coat solutions in general are also inherently more inert than powdercoating and is not sacrificial in nature.

2nd update (May 2019):

If you are experiencing perforating rust with your ROAM JL Side Armor Steps, please contact our customer service for further action.

Please note that while some care and/or maintenance is required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (especially around the concave angles and internal surfaces), the ROAM JL Rock Rails does not require any maintenance except for periodic cleaning (via a pressure washer or car wash). The ROAM JL Side Armor Steps are powdercoated and the ROAM JL Rock Rails are E-Coated. Periodic maintenance is only required on the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps.

Please refer to post #27 for all of the currently available remedy options (for the MK1 ROAM JL Side Armor Steps).

ROAM JL Side Armor Steps -> If you're within the warranty period and are experiencing perforating rust or any other structural issues, we'd be happy to send out a replacement set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (shipping not included). Our warranty covers perforating rust damage, so while it can be applied towards surface rust, its not meant to cover the appearance of surface rust (which should be addressed via maintenance). Please note that the powdercoating is a consumable item and is meant to be reapplied when depleted. This is not as cost effective as finding a local powdercoater because of the relatively high cost of cross shipping.

ROAM JL Rock Rails -> If you have a set of our JL Rock Rails and are experiencing ANY rust at all (unless there is surface damage, such as an abrasion through the E-Coat), please contact our customer service. The E-Coat should be rust proof altogether and while we haven't come across a single instance of surface rust and/or other rust so far on any of our production ROAM JL Rock Rails (does not apply if you have one of our prototypes or an engineering release), we always welcome the feedback as we strive to improve our product.

3rd update (May 2019, available Q3 2019):

Our MK3 JL Rock Rails (MK3 ROAM JL Rock Rails with integrated boat side undercarriage armor plates) will be available in Q3 2019. <images are attached below>

Current projected retail for the MK3 is ~$899 with integrated boat side skid plates (also available without the integrated boat side skid plates for ~$699, and ~$999 for stainless steel).

A retrofit system / upgrade option will be available for anyone whom has purchased a set of our MK1 and/or our MK2 JL Rock Rails. A direct replacement upgrade path will also be available for anyone whom has purchased a set of our MK1 JL Side Armor Steps. Please note that the ROAM JL Side Armor Steps and the ROAM JL Rock Rails are not the same product/series despite having a similar exterior appearance.

MK3 integrated boat side sliders 008.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 006.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 005.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 003.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 002.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 004.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 001.png
MK3 integrated boat side sliders 007.png

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM
My side steps are rusting like crazy. And not just a few small spots, like the entire panel. What can be done about this? I've only had them less than a year so I'd hope they would be under warranty.

Thanks!

Midwestguy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
@ROAM

Please think about doing the same Line-X option for your rock rails. Here in Minnesota, nothing powdercoated lasts. Period. ‘E’ coated or any other letter of the alphabet = they will rust here. Line-X or similar bed liner treatments are superior and giving your customer the option will automatically give you an advantage in the marketplace cause no one else offers this service (that Im aware of).

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
There’s a whole thread about this already in the exterior section.