Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.)

mischman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
How did everyone run the wire across the from the passenger to driver side(or vise versa)? i know there is that cross brace but that brace is only 2 inches from the exhaust. Im worried about heat melting the wire on zip ties.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
How did everyone run the wire across the from the passenger to driver side(or vise versa)? i know there is that cross brace but that brace is only 2 inches from the exhaust. Im worried about heat melting the wire on zip ties.
I ran the wire inside the crossbrace with connectors on both ends if I needed to remove it. With the insulated wires I never had issues.

JLmartacus

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I ran mine across the engine bay. Tucked the wires into the wire conduit that all the other wires are in.

MadDog27

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I ran the wire inside the crossbrace with connectors on both ends if I needed to remove it. With the insulated wires I never had issues.
I did this as well. Granted I haven't been off road since but looks to be out of the way. Hoping to hit Uwharrie here soon to test out my wiring but so far so good!

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
I ran my wires inside wire loom & thru the crossbrace as well.
I installed my lights basically as TTEChris outlined in his install except I fabricated my wire harness. I also changed my led's for smoked lens led's that light up amber. The smoked led's are nearly unnoticeable in daylight & light up amber at night. Thanks to the OP for this detailed post.

IMG_20190520_052704.jpg

IMG_20190520_052712.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I ran my wires inside wire loom & thru the crossbrace as well.
I installed my lights basically as TTEChris outlined in his install except I fabricated my wire harness. I also changed my led's for smoked lens led's that light up amber. The smoked led's are nearly unnoticeable in daylight & light up amber at night. Thanks to the OP for this detailed post.

IMG_20190520_052704.jpg

IMG_20190520_052712.jpg
Looks great! I now make my own harness as well. The very first time around I already ran all my wires thinking the relay LED relay harness off amazon would work. After discovering the mechanical relay would be an issue I didn't want to go through and run all the wires again :headbang:

18RubiJLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, JLUR
Chris,
Lately I'm seeing my LEDs stay on all the time, is the relay gone bad or something else interfering? Thanks!

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Chris,
Lately I'm seeing my LEDs stay on all the time, is the relay gone bad or something else interfering? Thanks!
Dumb question, but is the rocker all the way up for the dome lights? That will cause them to be on.
If not, it's possible you have a faulty relay. Does the light on the relay itself stay on all the time? I would try disconnecting the trigger wire from the relay to see if they turn off. If not, then you probably have a bad relay.

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Coat hanger works great at getting the wire through the firewall. If you guy don't mind drilling the steps, get a set of Oznium flush mount LED's. They are only available in a 11mm bolt size(factory holes are 10mm) but they have a 3' cable that makes wiring them much easier, and if you go with the stainless option they are IP68 rated. The aluminum set I installed for a customer were IP67 which should be sufficient, but the stainless option is nice to have.
20181212_112353_resized.jpg
20181212_112358_resized.jpg
20181212_112427_resized.jpg
You would not happen to have a link to them by any chance, I can't find them, than you

Sponsored

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Man, thanks for identifying it was the yellow wire! I'm always looking for the red wire...I guess I watched to many action movies growing up...Cut the Red Wire!!!!

To be honest...I actually haven't even ordered these yet...I've been vacillating between the frame and body mounted versions...

Thanks to all for the great info!
:giggle:

Renegade Wrangler

First Name
Gasan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Occupation
Spice Man
Where did you come through the firewall on the drivers side? I see where to go through the passenger side but having troubles seeing exactly where on the drivers side.
This is how to go in from the driver side, can u send a picture for the passenger side
15690771629675789726147571851303.jpg

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I will be starting my side step wiring project in the next day or so and have all of the parts needed to do it in a good way. I will be building my own harness using 16 gauge wire and weatherpack connectors (where feasible) and will also install all of it into split loom tubing and heat shrink all connections.

After seeing @Twistedfab's installation, I pinged him and worked with him to design a relay mounting plate that can hold 2 relays and diodes (only one needed for this install, but I have room to grow). The plate will mount on the passenger side fender using the two fender screws--I will need to pick up another screw to fill the empty hole.

I hand polished it using 220, 320, and 400 grit cloth so that I can apply thermal paste between the relay and the plate to enhance heat transfer (it may not need it, but it eliminates any possibility).

He does some great mill work--would you agree?

y52sI.jpg

y5Fft.jpg

Twistedfab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I will be starting my side step wiring project in the next day or so and have all of the parts needed to do it in a good way. I will be building my own harness using 16 gauge wire and weatherpack connectors (where feasible) and will also install all of it into split loom tubing and heat shrink all connections.

After seeing @Twistedfab's installation, I pinged him and worked with him to design a relay mounting plate that can hold 2 relays and diodes (only one needed for this install, but I have room to grow). The plate will mount on the passenger side fender using the two fender screws--I will need to pick up another screw to fill the empty hole.

I hand polished it using 220, 320, and 400 grit cloth so that I can apply thermal paste between the relay and the plate to enhance heat transfer (it may not need it, but it eliminates any possibility).

He does some great mill work--would you agree?

y52sI.jpg

y5Fft.jpg
Thanks for the props. By the way the threaded bolt holes are based 10/32 bolts if I am right.
Sponsored