Sponsored

ROAM Side Steps light wiring (or any step lights with door open illumination.)

golden809

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
This was a great lesson. Thanks Chris. I ran rock lights under my stock boards with a 2 x 1 diode, with one supply from aux switch and the other will now come from a SS relay. Great info thanks!
Sponsored

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Is this an easy install once I installed without the LEDs?

Thx.

SeanD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 2013 Acura RDX
Vehicle Showcase
there are only 2 wires black to back and good to go

IMG_5093.JPG
What route did you take to run the wiring between the steps and the footwell LED lights? Did you just come up and in through the engine firewall? Thanks!

boogie

First Name
kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
I came up and trough the firewall. one of my leds quit on me ill have to change that one out but the rest are still working.

voodoo11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2018 Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
My ROAM JL Side Armor Steps came into day. Now Jeep just needs to build my JLUR and Roam needs to offer their rear bumper and tire carrier for sale. I think I have just about everything bought for the JLUR except the rear bumper/tire carrier and the Tazer.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I'm ready to finish the install, via @TTEChris write up for the Rubicon what color am I splicing in the footwell?

20181030_184603.jpg

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
I freaking did it! I finally finished! (it was the yellow wire in the footwell, btw on the Rubicon). I learned so much, and consider myself a pretty good solderer now, lol). Wiring sucks, but getting it right, priceless! Thanks @TTEChirs I couldn't have done this without your help! I didn't realize they would come on with the fob too!
Light em' up!.

20181030_202236.jpg

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
I came up and trough the firewall. one of my leds quit on me ill have to change that one out but the rest are still working.
Couple of questions:
  1. What is the estimated install time going this route? Seems a little simpler than @TTEChris install and I'm all about keeping it simple ha.
  2. Did you buy any other parts? Would these work for the connections? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6LTK44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AE8CEXT8X69U6&psc=1
  3. Do the lights come on when you unlock the doors with the fob?
Thanks!

Jeepneck

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jeepnecks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited (LJ)
Occupation
Real Estate Professional
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of questions:
  1. What is the estimated install time going this route? Seems a little simpler than @TTEChris install and I'm all about keeping it simple ha.
  2. Did you buy any other parts? Would these work for the connections? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A6LTK44/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=AE8CEXT8X69U6&psc=1
Thanks!
Oh one other question (for now ha). Can I install the steps and then install the lights later without removing the steps?

Sponsored

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
As TTE Chris said, the hardest part is really wiring the lights together on each board, they are extremely tiny wires.. Once that's done and all tied in to a weather proof connector (red/black), then you can mount the boards. How you get juice to them after that, is up to you. TTE's version is what I used and it's not hard and it's full proof. Hell poking through the rubber, wiring harness grommet was a huge PIA for me. But, I finally figured it out. As far as time goes I'm no good example because I did mine over several separate days, having to buy more of this or that, learning as I went along. I first had to learn how to solder properly. I'm glad I did. I feel I mastered it on the second board, to the point where I went back to the first board, cut the connections and re-did them. I feel if had to do it again, from scratch, with all the things I need on site, I could do it in a couple hours (start to finish). Depending on that gd grommet! When you unlock the doors with the fob, they come on. When you open any door or the back they also come on. I changed the leds to red ones to match my color scheme and they look bad ass. They are fairly cheap for 10 of them.

RWS65

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU
Does your step lights stay on when the engine is running?
I wired mine per the instructions above and as long as the engine is not running the lights go off when the interior lights shut off.
But if the engine is running the step lights stay on.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
No they do not, nor should they. Sounds like you may have tapped the wrong wire in the footwell. What model do you have Rubicon, Sahara/Sport?

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Police Officer
I mean, if you want it that way, I guess it's OK. Using the relay will prevent an overload. Legally, it depends on state laws....

OP
OP
TTEChris

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Couple of questions:
Thanks!
It takes me 4-6 hours from start to finish taking breaks along the way. Make sure you test all your LED's before wiring them in a series. Most of the time for me is spent behind the steps like @Dynomite1371 mentioned. Dealing with those tiny wires can be a real pain/time consuming. Soldering/shrink wrapping all the connectors/wires/etc all takes a good amount of time(Not hard work, just time consuming.)
Mounting the steps, wiring the relay, and running the trigger wire takes very little time compared to wiring up all those LED's behind the steps.
Running the trigger wire is a lot easier if you have a small frame. I'm 6'4 230+ and getting in between that seat/console to feed the trigger wire is a real pain.
The lights do come one when you unlock the doors... basically anytime you see your dome light on, the lights will be on if wired like I mentioned(You can manually turn them on by turning the dome light rocker all the way up, but then the dome light will be on as well.)
The connectors you listed should work fine.
Oh one other question (for now ha). Can I install the steps and then install the lights later without removing the steps?
You can probably wire them on the Jeep, but for me it is MUCH easier setting them on a table/stand and wiring them up that way.

Does your step lights stay on when the engine is running?
I wired mine per the instructions above and as long as the engine is not running the lights go off when the interior lights shut off.
But if the engine is running the step lights stay on.
You probably have the trigger wire tapped into the wrong wire in the footwell like mentioned above. Mine will stay on for a few seconds with the engine running, but then shut off when the dome light switches off.
Sponsored