Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
ROAM JL ROCK RAILS INSTALLATION GUIDE / INSTRUCTIONS

PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU START

TO GUARANTEE A QUALITY INSTALLATION, WE RECOMMEND READING AND UNDERSTANDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING ANY WORK. A SUFFICIENT UNDERSTANDING OF MECHANICS IS NECESSARY. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRITTEN WITH THE ASSUMPTION OF AND REQUIRE MECHANICAL PROFICIENCY AND ARE NOT WRITTEN NOR INTENDED FOR SOMEONE NOT FAMILIAR WITH AUTO REPAIR

GENERAL CARE AND MAINTENANCE

To keep your ROAM JL Rock Rails looking great, we recommend:

Please rinse thoroughly with a pressure washer after extensive exposure to salt, mud, or other corrosive contaminants.

Please inspect all bolts and fasteners are torqued to the correct specification every 12 months. Please check all wiring and electrical connectors are free from damage and replace as necessary.

DISCLAIMERS:

Do not use this product for any vehicle make or model, other than specified.

The installation of this product may require the use of specialized tools and/or knowledge.

It is recommended that this product be installed only by trained professionals.

These instructions are generally correct as of the publication date. ROAM is not responsible for any changes subsequently made by the vehicle manufacturer.

During installation, the installer should check for the correct operation and clearances of all components.

Always work safely.

SAFETY ITEMS REQUIRED DURING INSTALLATION:

Protective eyewear, hearing protection, and mechanics gloves are required.

PLEASE NOTE: 'WARNING' notes in the fitting procedure relate to safety advisories. To avoid a potentially hazardous situation protective safety gear should be worn at all times and a safe work environment should be maintained. If safety procedures are not followed, injury may result.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. BEFORE YOU BEGIN: <Optional, Remove OEM Rubicon Rock Rails if present>

2. PLEASE NOTE: Please clean or wipe down your frame rails before installation.

3. ROAM JL Rock Rails Installation:

3-1. ROAM JL Rock Rails (MK1, JL Unlimited 4 Door JLU, E-Coat)

3-1.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: The ROAM JL Rock Rails are designed to be mounted to the vehicle frame rails on a Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited (JLU) with the included brackets. Although the ROAM JL Rock Rails can function with just three brackets installed, please install all of the included brackets.

3-2. Installing the driver's side front bracket:

3-2.jpg

3-2.1.1. Please insert the included flag nut through the opening pictured until the two bolt hole locations are visible through the lower opening.

3-2.1.1.jpg

3-2.1.2. With the flag nut aligned and with the bolt hole locations visible, the driver's side front bracket can be bolted onto the frame and then torqued down.

3-2.1.2.jpg

The driver’s side front bracket shown installed.

3-3. The passenger side front bracket install:

3-3.3.jpg

3-3.1. Please support with crossmember with a jackstand before unbolting any of the three bolts pictured.

3-3.1.jpg

3-3.2. Please hang the trapezoidal spacer onto the standoffs before bolting on the bracket with the OE bolts.

3-3.2.jpg

3-3.3. The passenger side front bracket shown installed.

3-3.3.jpg

3-4. The driver's side mid bracket, the driver's side rear bracket, the passenger side mid bracket, and the passenger side rear bracket install:

PLEASE NOTE: For the driver's side mid bracket, the driver's side rear bracket, the passenger side mid bracket, and the passenger side rear bracket install, please do not remove or loosen the main body mount bolt on the frame. On MY2018 and early MY2019 JL's, the main body bolt may have been installed from Jeep with red loctite and attempts to loosen or remove the main body bolts without an induction heater may cause the bolt to break. Installation of the ROAM JL Rock Rails does not require the removal of the main body bolts. The body bolts do not need to be loosened or removed for the install of the ROAM JL Rock Rails.

3-4.jpg

3-4.1. Loosen and remove the two smaller nuts adjacent to the main body bolts.

3-4.1.jpg

3-4.2. Angle the bracket past the main body bolt washer and then align vs the two studs.

3-4.2.jpg

3-4.3. With the bracket attached and aligned, please reinstall and then torque the two smaller nuts adjacent to the main body bolt. The body bolts do not need to be loosened or removed for the install of the ROAM JL Rock Rails.

3-4.3.jpg

3-4.4. The passenger side rear bracket shown installed.

3-5. The driver's side aft bracket and the passenger side aft bracket install (applies only to the 4 door JL Unlimited, MK1 ROAM JL Rock Rails):

3-5.jpg

3-5.1. Please insert the included rivnuts into the holes on the frame as pictured.

3-5.1.jpg

3-5.2. With the included bolt and nut, thread the nut onto the bolt and then the bolt into the rivnut.

3-5.2.jpg

3-5.3. Two 18mm wrenches are required for this step. To expand the rivnut, tighten the included nut against the rivnut by turning the bolt against the nut.

3-5.3.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: This process will need to be repeated for all six rivnuts.

3-5.4. Once all six rivnuts have been expanded into the frame, please check that each individual rivnut has been fully expanded. Once the rivnut has been expanded correctly, the rivnut should no longer spin in the frame rail.

3-5.5. Please install the aft bracket to the frame and then torque down the bolts.

3-5.5.jpg

3-5.6. The passenger side aft bracket shown installed.

3-3.jpg

3-6. Clearances (Clearance Gap between inside of Rock Rails / Side Steps and the JL vehicle body sheetmetal)

3-6.1. If you are installing a set of ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted), please gap the clearance between the the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal to a minimum of 1/4" clearance between the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal. Recommended clearance: 1/4" to 1/2". The clearance gap can be set by sticking a piece of cardboard folded over between the inside edge of the steps and the vehicle body sheetmetal before bolting the transverse bolts down.

3-6.2. If you are installing a set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (JL body mounted), please gap the clearance between the the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal to a minimum of 1/16" clearance between the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal. Recommended clearance: 1/8" to 1/4". The clearance gap can be set by sticking a piece of cardboard between the inside edge of the steps and the vehicle body sheetmetal before bolting the transverse bolts down.

3-6.3. To realign (or initial alignment) the ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted), please loosen but do not remove the main bracket bolts, move and align the frame rails to the desired position and alignment, and then gradually retighten the bolts starting from the front to rear bracket.

3-7. Optional MK2 configurable bracket install: <TBA>

4. The ROAM JL Rock Rails shown installed:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-steps-rock-sliders.16018/page-29#post-616726

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-steps-rock-sliders.16018/page-29#post-616277
Sponsored

Last edited:

Twistbeard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara "Nebula"
Hopefully going to have mine installed tomorrow. Thanks for posting instructions.

TexasJeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubi 392 on order
So how did you guys install the upper bolt on the rear frame bracket that attaches via the rivnuts? The bolts included are bigger than in the picture and I can't seem to get a wrench in there to tighten it up.

bigblue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 wrangler JLU OBM
I threaded it in by hand as far as I could. Then used the box end of a thin wrench I had to torque it down, from below through the slot in the bracket.

Sponsored

Jeffkam

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
CD881E36-3C43-468C-A30C-43D1248C3EBE.jpeg
For the life of me, I could not figure out the rivnuts. Probably my own lack of mechanical experience. Even with an impact wrench, I could only get two rivnuts on passenger side to install. Driver side I ended up running some long bolts all the way through the frame instead of the rivnuts. They do look very nice on the jeep.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
CD881E36-3C43-468C-A30C-43D1248C3EBE.jpeg
For the life of me, I could not figure out the rivnuts. Probably my own lack of mechanical experience. Even with an impact wrench, I could only get two rivnuts on passenger side to install. Driver side I ended up running some long bolts all the way through the frame instead of the rivnuts. They do look very nice on the jeep.
I hate rivnuts. Bought the tool and now I just dislike them strongly. Install looks great!

To everyone reading this before install, leave all the brackets loose until you mount the steps to them. Once it’s all lined up then you can level and straighten everything.

Brett

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
@ROAM what is the proper torque specs for the bolts with this install? also is there a .PDF version of this that I could give a shop in case I choose to have them installed instead of doing it myself since I already will be having other parts installed? no way to print correctly from the forum post.

Last edited:

Rubi Bing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 OB Rubicon
I asked last week in a PM for the torque specs too but have not heard back.
I have a pdf I can share once I get those. I just wanted something easy for myself when I install mine this weekend

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I asked last week in a PM for the torque specs too but have not heard back.
I have a pdf I can share once I get those. I just wanted something easy for myself when I install mine this weekend
Awesome, thank you so much! I have reached out a few times with no response yet. My Rubicon is still in the shop for the steering issues / track bar replacement so not in a huge rush, but would like to have the info so I can Share with the local shop if I decide to have them do it. They are already doing my undercloak and other skids, may just have them throw these on as well.

I am excited to get them, The quality of the finish looked pretty good on the few small parts I unwrapped.

Sponsored

Fastmover

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2.0L Billet JLR: Ordered 1/9. Delivered 2/13. Picked up 3/5.
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, thank you so much! I have reached out a few times with no response yet. My Rubicon is still in the shop for the steering issues / track bar replacement so not in a huge rush, but would like to have the info so I can Share with the local shop if I decide to have them do it. They are already doing my undercloak and other skids, may just have them throw these on as well.

I am excited to get them, The quality of the finish looked pretty good on the few small parts I unwrapped.

Roam put torque specs in the 2 door install thread today. I didn't look in the 4 door install thread.

Rubi Bing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 OB Rubicon
Installed mine over the weekend;
2 Rivnuts did not compress correct and I luckily saved the 2 rivnut holes closest to the large body access hole for last on each side.
I managed to get a box end wrench in there and placed 2 bolts from inside the frame out with nuts on the outside.

I put together this pdf if you want a print out.
I needed this so I would not mess up my iPad in case I wanted to reference a picture.
All the info has been compiled from a variety of posts on this forum.

Attachments

Trav.city

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon
Occupation
Sales Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone tell me the exact way this rivnut tool that came with the Roam rails is suppose to be used? I have checked all over YouTube and nothing that just includes a nut and bolt without washers or a free spinning nut. Would it work the same if I tighten down the lock nut to the rivnut and hold it while removing the bolt? I think that is how this set up is supposed to work? Can anyone confirm?

Rubi Bing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 OB Rubicon
Can anyone tell me the exact way this rivnut tool that came with the Roam rails is suppose to be used? I have checked all over YouTube and nothing that just includes a nut and bolt without washers or a free spinning nut. Would it work the same if I tighten down the lock nut to the rivnut and hold it while removing the bolt? I think that is how this set up is supposed to work? Can anyone confirm?
Hold the bolt tighten the nut

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
ROAM JL ROCK RAILS INSTALLATION GUIDE / INSTRUCTIONS

PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU START

TO GUARANTEE A QUALITY INSTALLATION, WE RECOMMEND READING AND UNDERSTANDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING ANY WORK. A SUFFICIENT UNDERSTANDING OF MECHANICS IS NECESSARY. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRITTEN WITH THE ASSUMPTION OF AND REQUIRE MECHANICAL PROFICIENCY AND ARE NOT WRITTEN NOR INTENDED FOR SOMEONE NOT FAMILIAR WITH AUTO REPAIR

GENERAL CARE AND MAINTENANCE

To keep your ROAM JL Rock Rails looking great, we recommend:

Please rinse thoroughly with a pressure washer after extensive exposure to salt, mud, or other corrosive contaminants.

Please inspect all bolts and fasteners are torqued to the correct specification every 12 months. Please check all wiring and electrical connectors are free from damage and replace as necessary.

DISCLAIMERS:

Do not use this product for any vehicle make or model, other than specified.

The installation of this product may require the use of specialized tools and/or knowledge.

It is recommended that this product be installed only by trained professionals.

These instructions are generally correct as of the publication date. ROAM is not responsible for any changes subsequently made by the vehicle manufacturer.

During installation, the installer should check for the correct operation and clearances of all components.

Always work safely.

SAFETY ITEMS REQUIRED DURING INSTALLATION:

Protective eyewear, hearing protection, and mechanics gloves are required.

PLEASE NOTE: 'WARNING' notes in the fitting procedure relate to safety advisories. To avoid a potentially hazardous situation protective safety gear should be worn at all times and a safe work environment should be maintained. If safety procedures are not followed, injury may result.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. BEFORE YOU BEGIN: <Optional, Remove OEM Rubicon Rock Rails if present>

2. PLEASE NOTE: Please clean or wipe down your frame rails before installation.

3. ROAM JL Rock Rails Installation:

3-1. ROAM JL Rock Rails (MK1, JL Unlimited 4 Door JLU, E-Coat)

3-1.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: The ROAM JL Rock Rails are designed to be mounted to the vehicle frame rails on a Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited (JLU) with the included brackets. Although the ROAM JL Rock Rails can function with just three brackets installed, please install all of the included brackets.

3-2. Installing the driver's side front bracket:

3-2.jpg

3-2.1.1. Please insert the included flag nut through the opening pictured until the two bolt hole locations are visible through the lower opening.

3-2.1.1.jpg

3-2.1.2. With the flag nut aligned and with the bolt hole locations visible, the driver's side front bracket can be bolted onto the frame and then torqued down.

3-2.1.2.jpg

The driver’s side front bracket shown installed.

3-3. The passenger side front bracket install:

3-3.3.jpg

3-3.1. Please support with crossmember with a jackstand before unbolting any of the three bolts pictured.

3-3.1.jpg

3-3.2. Please hang the trapezoidal spacer onto the standoffs before bolting on the bracket with the OE bolts.

3-3.2.jpg

3-3.3. The passenger side front bracket shown installed.

3-3.3.jpg

3-4. The driver's side mid bracket, the driver's side rear bracket, the passenger side mid bracket, and the passenger side rear bracket install:

PLEASE NOTE: For the driver's side mid bracket, the driver's side rear bracket, the passenger side mid bracket, and the passenger side rear bracket install, please do not remove or loosen the main body mount bolt on the frame. On MY2018 and early MY2019 JL's, the main body bolt may have been installed from Jeep with red loctite and attempts to loosen or remove the main body bolts without an induction heater may cause the bolt to break. Installation of the ROAM JL Rock Rails does not require the removal of the main body bolts. The body bolts do not need to be loosened or removed for the install of the ROAM JL Rock Rails.

3-4.jpg

3-4.1. Loosen and remove the two smaller nuts adjacent to the main body bolts.

3-4.1.jpg

3-4.2. Angle the bracket past the main body bolt washer and then align vs the two studs.

3-4.2.jpg

3-4.3. With the bracket attached and aligned, please reinstall and then torque the two smaller nuts adjacent to the main body bolt. The body bolts do not need to be loosened or removed for the install of the ROAM JL Rock Rails.

3-4.3.jpg

3-4.4. The passenger side rear bracket shown installed.

3-5. The driver's side aft bracket and the passenger side aft bracket install (applies only to the 4 door JL Unlimited, MK1 ROAM JL Rock Rails):

3-5.jpg

3-5.1. Please insert the included rivnuts into the holes on the frame as pictured.

3-5.1.jpg

3-5.2. With the included bolt and nut, thread the nut onto the bolt and then the bolt into the rivnut.

3-5.2.jpg

3-5.3. Two 18mm wrenches are required for this step. To expand the rivnut, tighten the included nut against the rivnut by turning the bolt against the nut.

3-5.3.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: This process will need to be repeated for all six rivnuts.

3-5.4. Once all six rivnuts have been expanded into the frame, please check that each individual rivnut has been fully expanded. Once the rivnut has been expanded correctly, the rivnut should no longer spin in the frame rail.

3-5.5. Please install the aft bracket to the frame and then torque down the bolts.

3-5.5.jpg

3-5.6. The passenger side aft bracket shown installed.

3-3.jpg

3-6. Clearances (Clearance Gap between inside of Rock Rails / Side Steps and the JL vehicle body sheetmetal)

3-6.1. If you are installing a set of ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted), please gap the clearance between the the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal to a minimum of 1/4" clearance between the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal. Recommended clearance: 1/4" to 1/2". The clearance gap can be set by sticking a piece of cardboard folded over between the inside edge of the steps and the vehicle body sheetmetal before bolting the transverse bolts down.

3-6.2. If you are installing a set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (JL body mounted), please gap the clearance between the the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal to a minimum of 1/16" clearance between the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal. Recommended clearance: 1/8" to 1/4". The clearance gap can be set by sticking a piece of cardboard between the inside edge of the steps and the vehicle body sheetmetal before bolting the transverse bolts down.

3-6.3. To realign (or initial alignment) the ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted), please loosen but do not remove the main bracket bolts, move and align the frame rails to the desired position and alignment, and then gradually retighten the bolts starting from the front to rear bracket.

3-7. Optional MK2 configurable bracket install: <TBA>

4. The ROAM JL Rock Rails shown installed:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-steps-rock-sliders.16018/page-29#post-616726

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-steps-rock-sliders.16018/page-29#post-616277
@ROAM any chance the JLU will get a flagnut bracket instead of the Rivnuts like the 2 doors come with? That seems like a much better design, and I would be happy to pay for the brackets so I did not have to mess with the rivnuts.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.