Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
ROAM JL ROCK RAILS (JL 2 Door, MK2) INSTALLATION GUIDE / INSTRUCTIONS

PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU START

TO GUARANTEE A QUALITY INSTALLATION, WE RECOMMEND READING AND UNDERSTANDING THESE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING ANY WORK. A SUFFICIENT UNDERSTANDING OF MECHANICS IS NECESSARY. THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRITTEN WITH THE ASSUMPTION OF AND REQUIRE MECHANICAL PROFICIENCY AND ARE NOT WRITTEN NOR INTENDED FOR SOMEONE NOT FAMILIAR WITH AUTO REPAIR

GENERAL CARE AND MAINTENANCE

To keep your ROAM JL Rock Rails looking great, we recommend:

Please rinse thoroughly with a pressure washer after extensive exposure to salt, mud, or other corrosive contaminants.

Please inspect all bolts and fasteners are torqued to the correct specification every 12 months. Please check all wiring and electrical connectors are free from damage and replace as necessary.

DISCLAIMERS:

Do not use this product for any vehicle make or model, other than specified.

The installation of this product may require the use of specialized tools and/or knowledge.

It is recommended that this product be installed only by trained professionals.

These instructions are generally correct as of the publication date. ROAM is not responsible for any changes subsequently made by the vehicle manufacturer.

During installation, the installer should check for the correct operation and clearances of all components.

Always work safely.

SAFETY ITEMS REQUIRED DURING INSTALLATION:

Protective eyewear, hearing protection, and mechanics gloves are required.

PLEASE NOTE: 'WARNING' notes in the fitting procedure relate to safety advisories. To avoid a potentially hazardous situation protective safety gear should be worn at all times and a safe work environment should be maintained. If safety procedures are not followed, injury may result.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

1. BEFORE YOU BEGIN: <Remove OEM Rubicon Rock Rails if present>

2. PLEASE NOTE: Please clean or wipe down your frame rails before installation.

3. ROAM JL Rock Rails Installation:

3-1. ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2, E-Coat)

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-1

3-2. Installing the driver's side front bracket:

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-2

3-2.1.1. Please insert the included flag nut (driver's side front, directional) through the opening pictured until all four (4) bolt hole locations are visible through the lower opening.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-2.1.1

3-2.1.2. With the flag nut aligned and with the bolt hole locations visible, the driver's side front bracket can be bolted onto the frame and then torqued down.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-2.1.2

3-2.1.3. The driver’s side front bracket shown installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-2.1.3

3-3. Installing the passenger side front bracket:

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-3

3-3.1. Please insert the included flag nut (passenger side front, directional) through the opening pictured until all four (4) bolt hole locations are visible through the lower opening.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-3.1

3-3.2. With the flag nut aligned and with the bolt hole locations visible, the passenger side front bracket can be bolted onto the frame and then torqued down.

3-3.3. The passenger side front bracket shown installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-3

3-4. The driver's side mid bracket and the passenger side mid bracket install (applies only to the 2 door JL, when installing the MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails) (driver's side pictured):

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-4

3-4.1. Please insert the included flag nut (all of the included flag nuts are directional, driver's side pictured) through the opening pictured until all three (3) bolt hole locations are visible and aligned.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-4.1

3-4.2. With the flag nut bracket aligned and with the bolt hole locations visible, the mid bracket can be bolted onto the frame and then torqued down.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-4.2

3-4.3. The driver's side mid bracket shown installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-4.3

3-5. The driver's side rear bracket and the passenger side rear bracket install:

PLEASE NOTE: For the driver's side rear bracket and the passenger side rear bracket install, please do not remove or loosen the main body mount bolt on the frame. On MY2018 and early MY2019 JL's, the main body bolt may have been installed from Jeep with red loctite and attempts to loosen or remove the main body bolts without an induction heater may cause the bolt to break. Installation of the ROAM JL Rock Rails does not require the removal of the main body bolts. The body bolts do not need to be loosened or removed for the install of the ROAM JL Rock Rails.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-5

3-5.1. Loosen and remove the two smaller nuts adjacent to the main body bolts.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-5.1

3-5.2. Angle the bracket past the main body bolt washer and then align vs the two studs.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-5.2

3-5.3. With the bracket attached and aligned, please reinstall and then torque the two smaller nuts adjacent to the main body bolt. The body bolts do not need to be loosened or removed for the install of the ROAM JL Rock Rails.

3-5.4. The passenger side rear bracket shown installed.

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-5.3

3-6. Clearances (Clearance Gap between inside of Rock Rails / Side Steps and the JL vehicle body sheetmetal)

3-6.1. If you are installing a set of ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted), please gap the clearance between the the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal to a minimum of 1/4" clearance between the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal. Recommended clearance: 1/4" to 1/2". The clearance gap can be set by sticking a piece of cardboard folded over between the inside edge of the steps and the vehicle body sheetmetal before bolting the transverse bolts down.

3-6.2. If you are installing a set of ROAM JL Side Armor Steps (JL body mounted), please gap the clearance between the the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal to a minimum of 1/16" clearance between the ROAM JL Rock Rails and the Jeep Wrangler JL vehicle body sheetmetal. Recommended clearance: 1/8" to 1/4". The clearance gap can be set by sticking a piece of cardboard between the inside edge of the steps and the vehicle body sheetmetal before bolting the transverse bolts down.

3-6.3. To realign (or initial alignment) the ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL frame mounted), please loosen but do not remove the main bracket bolts, move and align the frame rails to the desired position and alignment, and then gradually retighten the bolts starting from the front to rear bracket.

3-7. Optional MK2 configurable alternate bracket install: <TBA>

4. The ROAM JL Rock Rails shown installed:

Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Rock Rails (JL 2 Door, MK2) Install Guide - Revision 2.0 MK2 ROAM JL Rock Rails Install Guide - 3-2.1.4
Sponsored

Last edited:

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR (Wrikki), 2018 Grand Sport (V)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see the actual torque spec or specs listed. I'm starting my install today and this would be handy.

MandKM

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘73 CJ5, ‘19 2-door JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@ROAM - I received my two door sliders today. All looks good, but it’s not clear what the two large washers shown near the top of your first photo are for.

Thanks

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
@ROAM - I received my two door sliders today. All looks good, but it’s not clear what the two large washers shown near the top of your first photo are for.

Thanks
I second that, mine are all installed and I didn't see any place for those washers. They are not mentioned at all in the instructions.

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 2DR JK Rubicon (dozer) 2018 2DR JL Rubicon (granite) (waiting)
LOL I just hopped on the forum to see what i could find about my left over washers and found you guys asking the same question. Well maybe they will answer us if they see the thread growing.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ROAM

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I don't see the actual torque spec or specs listed.

BOLT SIZE Torque in Nm Torque in ft-lbs

M6 -> 9 Nm / 7 ft-lbs

M6 (trilobial) -> 6 Nm / 4.4 ft-lbs

M8 -> 22 Nm / 16 ft-lbs

M10 -> 44 Nm / 32 ft-lbs

M12 -> 77 Nm / 57 ft-lbs

3/8" -> 44 Nm / 32 ft-lbs

I'm starting my install today and this would be handy.
All of the bolts and brackets used on our MK1 and our MK2 Rock Rails are backed against either solid metal or are sandwiching solid metal when torqued. Since there are no bolt hole locations where when the bolts are overtorqued will either crumple or crush whatever its attached to and since we use all grade 10.9 or better bolts you should still be completely fine if you went over the recommended torque values.

Thanks
I second that, mine are all installed and I didn't see any place for those washers. They are not mentioned at all in the instructions.
LOL I just hopped on the forum to see what i could find about my left over washers and found you guys asking the same question.
Sorry about the delay in responding to everyone, the washer included is actually an optional component that is installed after everything else is complete. On the passenger side, where the bracket goes around the transmission crossmember bolt, if the transmission crossmember bolt is removed and then reinstalled with the washer, it slightly helps bracket rigidity. There was also the concern during the initial design phase that without this washer there may be mud or debris buildup around the gap. It was discovered after designing the large washer that it actually didn't do much for rigidity, but since there was still the possibility of mud buildup in the gap the washer was included in the production version/spec. Although the spacer is a custom sized laser cut piece of steel, there are two in case the standoff is off spec.

optional washer installed.png

Thanks,

Tara @ ROAM

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

M6 -> 9 Nm / 7 ft-lbs

M8 -> 22 Nm / 16 ft-lbs

M10 -> 44 Nm / 32 ft-lbs

M12 -> 77 Nm / 57 ft-lbs

All of the bolts and brackets used on our MK1 and our MK2 Rock Rails are backed against either solid metal or are sandwiching solid metal when torqued. Since there are no bolt hole locations where when the bolts are overtorqued will either crumple or crush whatever its attached to and since we use all grade 10.9 or better bolts you should still be completely fine if you went over the recommended torque values.

Sorry about the delay in responding to everyone, the washer included is actually an optional component that is installed after everything else is complete. On the passenger side, where the bracket goes around the transmission crossmember bolt, if the transmission crossmember bolt is removed and then reinstalled with the washer, it slightly helps bracket rigidity. There was also the concern during the initial design phase that without this washer there may be mud or debris buildup around the gap. It was discovered after designing the large washer that it actually didn't do much for rigidity, but since there was still the possibility of mud buildup in the gap the washer was included in the production version/spec. Although the spacer is a custom sized laser cut piece of steel, there are two in case the standoff is off spec.

optional washer installed.png

Thanks,

Tara @ ROAM
Awesome Start helping out. One question for the torque values you provided.

M6 -> 9 Nm / 7 ft-lbs

M8 -> 22 Nm / 16 ft-lbs

M10 -> 44 Nm / 32 ft-lbs

M12 -> 77 Nm / 57 ft-lbs

Which bolts do you ship with? I received 2 sizes (length wise), but the threads are the same. Then there are the nuts that we torque down instead of bolts for the last rail (the ones provided on the jeep) and finally the couple the hold the metal plate behind the roam name. That would help out us greatly so we don't break something.

Tom

OP
OP
ROAM

ROAM

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.roamoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Awesome Start helping out. One question for the torque values you provided.

Which bolts do you ship with? I received 2 sizes (length wise), but the threads are the same. Then there are the nuts that we torque down instead of bolts for the last rail (the ones provided on the jeep) and finally the couple the hold the metal plate behind the roam name. That would help out us greatly so we don't break something.
They're all grade 10.9 or better M10 or M12 bolts. The current 2 door version of the ROAM JL Rock Rails (MK2) all have M10's and the current 4 door version of the ROAM JL Rock Rails (MK1) have both M10 and M12 bolts. There are also some tiny M6's for the logo backplate but those really aren't a stress item. And then on the nuts adjacent to the main body bolt those should correspond with an M10 bolt as well. The torque guide was provided because the bolt sizes may change in the future with the release of the MK2.X+/MK3 versions (Q3/Q4 2019).

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM

Rollbar

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They're all grade 10.9 or better M10 or M12 bolts. The current 2 door version of the ROAM JL Rock Rails (MK2) all have M10's and the current 4 door version of the ROAM JL Rock Rails (MK1) have both M10 and M12 bolts. There are also some tiny M6's for the logo backplate but those really aren't a stress item. And then on the nuts adjacent to the main body bolt those should correspond with an M10 bolt as well. The torque guide was provided because the bolt sizes may change in the future with the release of the MK2.X+/MK3 versions (Q3/Q4 2019).

Thanks!

Tara @ ROAM
Awesome data! Thanks

Eauger22

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I cant get these rails to sit level. The front bracket seems to sit to low and/or the back bracket is to high. Anyone else having this issue. Someone help lol. I have a 2 door jl sport.

Sponsored

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I cant get these rails to sit level. The front bracket seems to sit to low and/or the back bracket is to high. Anyone else having this issue. Someone help lol. I have a 2 door jl sport.
Did you leave everything loose and then tighten once all the bolts were in? That's the only problem I had.

Eauger22

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you leave everything loose and then tighten once all the bolts were in? That's the only problem I had.
I've tried loosing and readjusting the brackets the front bracket is as high as it will go due to the lip on the bottom. When I set the rail on the brackets I have about 3 inches below the front fender and only 1 inch below the rear fender. Also I'm not making contact with the middle bracket.

obwahn

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired puter dork
Vehicle Showcase
I've tried loosing and readjusting the brackets the front bracket is as high as it will go due to the lip on the bottom. When I set the rail on the brackets I have about 3 inches below the front fender and only 1 inch below the rear fender. Also I'm not making contact with the middle bracket.
My middle bracket on both sides gave me the most grief, but I wasn't off kilter like you seem to be. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe post some pics in here of your situation so we can all see what's going on. Otherwise you'd have to contact Roam for some guidance. @ROAM

Eauger22

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My middle bracket on both sides gave me the most grief, but I wasn't off kilter like you seem to be. Something just doesn't sound right. Maybe post some pics in here of your situation so we can all see what's going on. Otherwise you'd have to contact Roam for some guidance. @ROAM
20190404_162927.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.