ROAM JL Extended Capacity Fuel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Not 100% sure but I believe so. The tank attachs at the crossmember behind the transfer case, so from the picture I would think you are good but I would contact cruiser brothers / long range america to be sure. As a side note mine is installed on a JKU so JLU might be differrent.
Sponsored

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

It's another potential build piece, I guess. I like the idea of the extended range, especially with some of the trips I plan next year or 2022. If it really extends the range to 1000m that's pretty damned good.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
Did you install it yourself or have someone else do it? If someone else, what’d they charge? I asked LRA for a shop recommendation and the one they sent me to wants $1700 for what they said was 10 hours of work. That’s put the final price around $4k. Too rich for my blood.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Did you install it yourself or have someone else do it? If someone else, what’d they charge? I asked LRA for a shop recommendation and the one they sent me to wants $1700 for what they said was 10 hours of work. That’s put the final price around $4k. Too rich for my blood.
that’s an obnoxious amount to charge. ill have to look back and see what I charged. I don’t care to do many more of them but the install really isn’t that bad. I wired it to an Upfitter and take out the potential for the failure in the included switch

Brett

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
I did the install myself over a weekend. Wasn't hard just time consuming and you have to be creative with jacks if you don't have a lift. I didn't wire the switch like they did I just wired their switch to a toggle switch and the toggle to the battery. That way I didn't have to splice into any vehicle wiring.

If you can rotate your tires/ change your oil you can do this.

I do also recommend taking the time to organize your parts as they were listed in millimeters so I had to do some converting.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I did the install myself over a weekend. Wasn't hard just time consuming and you have to be creative with jacks if you don't have a lift. I didn't wire the switch like they did I just wired their switch to a toggle switch and the toggle to the battery. That way I didn't have to splice into any vehicle wiring.

If you can rotate your tires/ change your oil you can do this.

I do also recommend taking the time to organize your parts as they were listed in millimeters so I had to do some converting.
Whats your range like now? How did it affect your handling offroading? Sorry to bombard you with questions, I'm suoer curious about adding another tank. Thanks.

JDaPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Whats your range like now? How did it affect your handling offroading? Sorry to bombard you with questions, I'm suoer curious about adding another tank. Thanks.
Around 600 miles, haven't noticed any changes in handling but I don't really do anything super difficult offroad either.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I need one of these long range tanks. I was headed to the Rubicon trail on HYW50 (the Lonely HWY) and missed a gas stop. I figured I would be ok, as I still had a 1/2 tank of fuel. When I got to the next station, I put 20.4 gallons of fuel in the tank. The next gas station was about 50 miles away.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This video has info on the install of the LRA tank and you can see it on the JLU

that’s handy. We did I think the 2nd LRA tank install on a JL in the states this video wouldve been useful!

the instructions and parts diagram were in their infancy

brett

Sponsored

Beowulf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It might ha e been mentioned but I missed it as I wait at the dentist, but will this work with a Diesel JL? What about the JT?

Varilux

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I notice there hasn't been any updates from ROAM (and I'd be waiting for compatibility with the 2 door anyway). The size of the tank in the JL is ridiculous... here was my <$100 solution. Five extra gallons comes in pretty useful (geesh FCA- how hard could it have been to put a real gas tank on the JL)!

Our cabin is about 190 miles from home- and with my 37" tires I get about 14-15mpg- so having a few extra gallons available comes in pretty handy (not a lot of gas stations along the way). The last time I went up to the cabin was in the middle of the night- and I hadn't topped off in Dallas- so the Jerry can kept me from having to go out of my way for fuel (there's a station a few miles from the cabin- so I just filled up the next day).
Jeep Wrangler JL ROAM JL Extended Capacity Fuel Tank 200718 Jeep quarter

Last edited:

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
that’s handy. We did I think the 2nd LRA tank install on a JL in the states this video wouldve been useful!

the instructions and parts diagram were in their infancy

brett
The online instructions are greatly improved from what they provide in the printed box, which I assume is what you had to go by.

I did the install over a 4 day period, about 12 hours total time, 3 of it was spent in the electrical wiring as I chose to redo a bunch of wires inside and clean up my GMRS install.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The online instructions are greatly improved from what they provide in the printed box, which I assume is what you had to go by.

I did the install over a 4 day period, about 12 hours total time, 3 of it was spent in the electrical wiring as I chose to redo a bunch of wires inside and clean up my GMRS install.
thats great! Glad they have plenty of resources to offer. When I installed it, everything was still in metric if I’m remembering right. Pretty cool product for those that need it!

brett
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.