Road manners differences between C and E rated tires

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
It looks like the wheel choice I am making is available in a 18x9in w/ -12mm offset. I want 35 tires and looks like my options are Duratracs w/ a C rating and others like Ko2's and Ridge Grapplers with an E rating. Since my Sahara will be mainly for road use will the E rated tires simply be too rough on the road for family hauling?

And what is with the Tire Rack's ratings for Duratrac lower user ratings vs the KO2's? If the C rating is my main concern looks like Duratrac is my best option. But any input would help.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Nothing wrong with E’s but you won’t like the ride. I’m not at all a fan of Goodyear but C’s or D’s will ride smoother. E’s are tough because you have to adjust ride with air pressure and in order to get it right you end up being around 26 psi or so. Then they end up feeling a bit bouncy to me. That’s why I just went to a KO2 37” D. Smooth as silk.

Pretty sure you can get a 315-70-17 in a KO2 c.

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
Pretty sure you can get a 315-70-17 in a KO2 c.
Yes you can. This is the tire I just ordered, but they are on back order. It’s the same tire as stock on the 2018 Ford Raptor.

OP
OP

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
As a followup, there are tons of D rated tires available... same question.. is there a big difference between C and D? The only C rated tire in a 315/70/17 from anyone seems to be the Ko2. Also the wheels I am interested in are available in 17in x 8.5 with 0 offset. Will I need spacers?

Mojito Mojo

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Apache Junction, AZ and North Mankato, MN
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito Rubicon JLU, 2004 Corvette convertible, 2015 HD Road Glide, 2014 Indian Chief Vintage
Occupation
Retired
As a followup, there are tons of D rated tires available... same question.. is there a big difference between C and D? The only C rated tire in a 315/70/17 from anyone seems to be the Ko2. Also the wheels I am interested in are available in 17in x 8.5 with 0 offset. Will I need spacers?
I found another option. It is the Nitto Trail Grappler 35 x 11.5 x 17 Load Range C. Two things you should know: it is a full inch narrower so it won’t stick out (or in) as much, and it has a more aggressive tread pattern. Nitto rates it as M/T tire but it is actually a hybrid of their Mud Grappler and their Terra Grappler. I might order these instead of the 315 x 70 x 17 C rated Ko2’s because they are back ordered.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rob