Sponsored

Rivian R1S Review highlights some cool stuff I'd like to see on future Wranglers

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Yeah yeah, I know, everyone here hates the Rivian "vaporware" EVs.

HOWEVER, they do have some pretty cool stuff that I'd love to see on future Wranglers.

Here's the video:

Key highlights:
- Being able to "vent" the windows from the mobile app (just lowers them all ~1-2 inches to let hot air out)
- Removable flashlight in the door (basically the curtesy light, but it pops out and charges while stored)
- Removable BT speaker in the console
- Onboard air (fully integrated, comes with the hose)
- For the 4xe crowd, the R1S also has a "hump" in the back, but the cargo cover can lift up and rest on the hump to provide a perfectly flat (albeit slightly elevated) platform
- "Camping Mode" that uses the air suspension to automatically level the vehicle, so you can sleep more comfortably

Cool, creative thinking from a new entrant.
Sponsored

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I like the R1S and its ability to be a family-oriented safari/overland vehicle. I am hoping some of these off-road specific in R1S and the new defender makes its way to Jeep Recon EV.

R1S has a class-leading ground clearance and is very capable overlander.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Are they going to offer a manual version of these? So long as they do and it doesn't explode I would be open to taking one of these for a test drive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Jeep Wrangler JL Rivian R1S Review highlights some cool stuff I'd like to see on future Wranglers bill-hader-white-w

Uh... no. Current Wranglers are bloated with too much superfluous crap as it is.
Haha, there's always one in the crowd.

You don't think it'd be cool/handy to have a rechargeable flashlight built right into your offroad rig?

You don't think hundreds of Wrangler owners go through the expense of adding onboard air, and it wouldn't be cool to have that as a fully integrated (and warranteed) option right from the factory?

You don't think it'd be handy to be able to simply lift up the back of the cargo cover to be able to create a truly flat rear cargo area?

Come on, man. I get the notion of keeping things simple, and sure, there's LOTS of things about the R1S that I *don't* want. But you don't think there's also things that would just be cool to have to show that Jeep is actually thinking creatively/driving innovation, as opposed to just rehashing the same vehicle every year but raising the price by $1K+ whenever they feel like it?

Retrograde

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLSS, 1995 Chevy K2500
Occupation
Arms Dealer
Haha, there's always one in the crowd.

You don't think it'd be cool/handy to have a rechargeable flashlight built right into your offroad rig?
No. I already have a flashlight. But there's a bigger reason why:

"Pricing for the 2022 Rivian R1S starts at $72,500 for the base Explore model. The better-equipped Adventure model starts at $78,000. The sold-out Launch Edition was $90K."

I paid less than 1/2 the price of the base model R1S for my Sport S, and I still got a bunch of electronic crap--some of it essential for the operation of the vehicle--that doesn't work. I don't want any more.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

No. I already have a flashlight. But there's a bigger reason why:

"Pricing for the 2022 Rivian R1S starts at $72,500 for the base Explore model. The better-equipped Adventure model starts at $78,000. The sold-out Launch Edition was $90K."

I paid less than 1/2 the price of the base model R1S for my Sport S, and I still got a bunch of electronic crap--some of it essential for the operation of the vehicle--that doesn't work. I don't want any more.
LOL.

Congrats. You've missed the entire point of my post. Twice.

Enjoy the ride, man.

Sponsored

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
You don't think hundreds of Wrangler owners go through the expense of adding onboard air, and it wouldn't be cool to have that as a fully integrated (and warranteed) option right from the factory?
100's is about right, less than .01%, hardly worth the factory thinking about unless the base price is $70K.

You can't crawl and drive 85 MPH without gears. I've tried crawling in my EV, it doesn't work.

The fully electric test Wrangler used the 6 speed stick, worst of everything.

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You can't crawl and drive 85 MPH without gears. I've tried crawling in my EV, it doesn't work.

The fully electric test Wrangler used the 6 speed stick, worst of everything.
LOL.

I didn't say "why doesn't Jeep replace the Wrangler with an R1S, top to bottom"

I said "look at these cool features that have nothing to do with the power train that Jeep could easily add to the Wrangler if they bothered to think creatively or innovate a little"

You could keep your gears, ICE, and solid axles and still get all the things I highlighted from the video.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
LOL.

I didn't say "why doesn't Jeep replace the Wrangler with an R1S, top to bottom"

I said "look at these cool features that have nothing to do with the power train that Jeep could easily add to the Wrangler if they bothered to think creatively or innovate a little"

You could keep your gears, ICE, and solid axles and still get all the things I highlighted from the video.
  1. This post belongs in the mall crawlers cool features forum. Nothing in the list makes for a more capable off road vehicle. Even the compressor is a joke compared to the ARB twin.
  2. Other Vehicles / General Automotive Chat would be the right forum if you had to put it in jlwranglerforums.com

OP
OP
rcadden

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

1. This post belongs in the mall crawlers cool features forum. Nothing in the list makes for a more capable off road vehicle. Even the compressor is a joke compared to the ARB twin.
  2. Other Vehicles / General Automotive Chat would be the right forum if you had to put it in jlwranglerforums.com
Oh man, my bad - I didn't realize this part of the forum was specifically for conversations about how to make the Jeep a more off-road capable vehicle.

Silly me, I thought it was for conversations about Jeeps, such as things we like, things we don't like, and things we wish they'd add from other vehicles on the market, that sort of thing. You know, just General JL/JLU Discussions.
Sponsored