Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have experience with Hauk Offroad River Raider snorkels?
I don’t like the sound of th 3.6 and have been considering a CAI, BUT...
Occasionally I wheel in water up to the hood, and I always fear it will go deeper and overwhelm the stock air box.
So, I’m wondering if a snorkel will kill 2 birds with 1 stone and add water protection for the engine and some sound like a CAI? I like the mushroom low profile look of the River Raider, although other snorkel systems are not out of the question.

I know about other water protection measures, like breather tube extension...
Sponsored

seanjonesSUPERTRAMP

First Name
seany
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
i'd love your opinion on it if you get it. looks like a clean design and install since your only cutting plastic. i wonder though if you can still fully rest the hood all the way back when the systems installed? i love the ability to do that

OP
OP
Jeepjunkie

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll let you know, but don’t hold your breath! I may start out with an aFe CAI for sound only (I miss my Mustang 5.0 music), then grow a pair and order the River Raider. I’m very interested in the RR sound. If it enhances it like a CAI I could be sold. If I buy the RR I will certainly ask about folding the hood back, and maybe the windshield too.

OP
OP
Jeepjunkie

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I called Hawk Offroad, asked a few questions and here’s what they said:
1) can the hood fold back to the windshield? Answer: no. It can go straight up and rest on the snorkel, but it can’t fold back to the windshield with removing the mushroom. I assume th same holds true about folding down the windscreen.
2) how hard is it to remove the mushroom? Answer: it’s on there tight to prevent water leaking in. You likely need a band wrench to remove it.
3) does it make the intake sound more aggressive? Answer: yeah, sure.

They were very nice and even went outside to test flipping the hood back with me on the phone. I’m still considering this.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Does anyone have experience with Hauk Offroad River Raider snorkels?
I don’t like the sound of th 3.6 and have been considering a CAI, BUT...
Occasionally I wheel in water up to the hood, and I always fear it will go deeper and overwhelm the stock air box.
So, I’m wondering if a snorkel will kill 2 birds with 1 stone and add water protection for the engine and some sound like a CAI? I like the mushroom low profile look of the River Raider, although other snorkel systems are not out of the question.

I know about other water protection measures, like breather tube extension...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...snorkel-install-and-review.22599/#post-549189

OP
OP
Jeepjunkie

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Swanny297, that was just what I was looking for.
Sponsored