Rigid D-SS Pro Spot Installation JL w/Aux Switches

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Just purchased these lights and want to see if anyone has installed them yet on the JL with the Aux package...

My understanding is the following:
  • Three wires from the harness
    • Black - ground, connect to screw on side of jeep
    • Blue - connect to the appropriate pre-wired auxiliary wire
    • Red - snip or tape since it controls the on/off switch
  • Two battery connectors
    • Just tape each of them off since the switch is already powered and doesn't need to connect to the battery
Would love to know if anyone else has tried this or can confirm this is the right way to wire/install them...

Appreciate it..

Kevin
Sponsored

5280Sapper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Disabled Veteran
those are from the relay that Rigid send you. you jeep factory switches have that built in.. so cut the red and black where it goes into the relay and ground the black and the red hooks up to 1 of the 4 wires for the switches. and your are done.

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
40196 Harness for Set D2 Lights.jpg
those are from the relay that Rigid send you. you jeep factory switches have that built in.. so cut the red and black where it goes into the relay and ground the black and the red hooks up to 1 of the 4 wires for the switches. and your are done.
so you are saying on the relay...cut the red and black...what do I do with the blue? I thought that is what I connected to one of the existing switches...and then the black with the ring I ground..what about the red one with the ring?

Thanks.

OP
OP

rogueknb

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

so you are saying on the relay...cut the red and black...what do I do with the blue? I thought that is what I connected to one of the existing switches...and then the black with the ring I ground..what about the red one with the ring?

Thanks.
I have also included this photo that i found in the forums..I have not confirmed that mine is wired exactly the same...but I assume that it is...

Aux WIring Layout.jpg

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Thanks.
From the looks of their wiring harness you will want to keep the negative battery terminal connection with the ring because you can just attach that to a ground mounting point in the engine bay. Depending on how the wiring harness is put together you might have to cut some intermediary components out and then splice that end connector back on for the negative (black) side. The positive side will connect directly to one of the AUX switch lines. I think there is a post somewhere that shows the "typical" color assignment that goes along with the switch number. There are 2x 15 Amp switches and 2x 40 Amp switches so I'd use one of the 15 Amp switches unless this is some crazy light setup. You will want to cut off the fuse and button portions of the wiring harness but without it laid out I can only guess where those are in the wiring harness.

Sponsored

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Just purchased these lights and want to see if anyone has installed them yet on the JL with the Aux package...

My understanding is the following:
  • Three wires from the harness
    • Black - ground, connect to screw on side of jeep
    • Blue - connect to the appropriate pre-wired auxiliary wire
    • Red - snip or tape since it controls the on/off switch
  • Two battery connectors
    • Just tape each of them off since the switch is already powered and doesn't need to connect to the battery
Would love to know if anyone else has tried this or can confirm this is the right way to wire/install them...

Appreciate it..

Kevin
@rogueknb did you get yours running ok? Did you follow this order from above? Got mine in today and trying to decide how I need to wire it.

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
From the looks of their wiring harness you will want to keep the negative battery terminal connection with the ring because you can just attach that to a ground mounting point in the engine bay. Depending on how the wiring harness is put together you might have to cut some intermediary components out and then splice that end connector back on for the negative (black) side. The positive side will connect directly to one of the AUX switch lines. I think there is a post somewhere that shows the "typical" color assignment that goes along with the switch number. There are 2x 15 Amp switches and 2x 40 Amp switches so I'd use one of the 15 Amp switches unless this is some crazy light setup. You will want to cut off the fuse and button portions of the wiring harness but without it laid out I can only guess where those are in the wiring harness.
Here is a diagram of the wiring laid out. Could you just cut after the switch and not use any of the remaining parts?
Untitled.jpg

Would this work? Theoretically the switch is powered and grounded already so you could just go straight to the lights, no?

led_cut_diagram.jpg

rizej

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here is a diagram of the wiring laid out. Could you just cut after the switch and not use any of the remaining parts?
Untitled.jpg

Would this work? Theoretically the switch is powered and grounded already so you could just go straight to the lights, no?

led_cut_diagram.jpg
You would want to keep the Ground (black) eyelet and remove the Positive (eyelet) since your not connecting directly to the battery. You would cut the eyelet off and then splice that red wire directly to one of the Aux switches (I believe there are several posts that show what each color means; however, I would always test before). You can cut out the fuse and switch so that its a direct line that connects the plug/socket to the back of each light. The switch provides in the wiring harness is not needed because the Aux switches have their own fuse/switches. The bigger gauge wires will support more amps than the smaller gauge wires

EsTxDr

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I installed them today, big thanks to @5280Sapper who was awesome and showed me how he wired his. Basically I cut prior to the relay throwing away everything but the two wires from the connection to the light. Basically as shown in this image.

led_cut_diagram.jpg

There are only two wires (positive and ground) prior to the relay (its a bit different from the picture above). Since the in line fuse that comes with the set is a 15 and the switch is a 15 amp, I didn't keep the second fuse. Connected the red to the Aux 3 wire and spliced in an eyelet for the ground. Works like a charm. Thanks again @5280Sapper for your help bro!

I have pictures to make a walkthrough, I'll put it together if there is any interest.

20180630_134920.jpg

20180630_164655.jpg

shanehopson

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Would love to see a write-up if you decide to put one together. Just got these same lights and can’t wait to get them installed. Yours look great!

Sponsored

MuJaiheed

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon
The diagram and the rest of the forum was super helpful! This is my first jeep, and I was able to install pretty easily! Thanks everyone!!!

20180914_090251.jpg

20180914_090315.jpg

20180914_090059.jpg

20180914_090139.jpg

20180914_090151.jpg

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
The diagram and the rest of the forum was super helpful! This is my first jeep, and I was able to install pretty easily! Thanks everyone!!!

20180914_090251.jpg

20180914_090315.jpg

20180914_090059.jpg

20180914_090139.jpg

20180914_090151.jpg
How did you feed the wires into that holder wiring plastic holder? I ended up just zip tieing above, but your method is much cleaner.

MuJaiheed

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Rubicon
How did you feed the wires into that holder wiring plastic holder? I ended up just zip tieing above, but your method is much cleaner.
There are tabs along the top of the casing. I scuffed the ones around the fluid reservoir because I didn't take the time to remove the entire thing like I should have, but it's really easy to pop them open and add the wires to the rest that are there.

20180914_103503.jpg

20180914_103517.jpg

20180914_103536.jpg

Mvp8500

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase

20180914_090251.jpg

20180914_090315.jpg

20180914_090059.jpg

20180914_090139.jpg

20180914_090151.jpg
Hi, i am going to be running the same setup. Did you run all 4 positives to a 15 amp lead?
Just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.
Sponsored