Sponsored

Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience?

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi all,
I know the cost of the mounts are incredibly expensive and controversial, but is there any other reason why there doesn't seem to be any reviews or feedback on this setup? Would love to hear people's thoughts or experiences with these since I'm considering them. What I really like is it seems you can mount your lights off to the side of the jeep at an angle, thus reducing hood glare and still allowing functionality of your front windshield to come down. The only other thing I could come up with, is maybe the front fenders would block some of the light spread depending how low down the side of the cowls you mount your lights.

Sponsored

ekoii

First Name
Emmitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed the Rigid Cowl mount with Rigid D series pods. Overall, I like them. I think the contour matches well with the Jeep cowl and it's a clean look. Here's a bit of info that might help you.

The Good:
- Mount allow for easy adjustment of our light placement (before you install the mount). If you want to move the lights, you'll have to remove the mount
- With the factory auxiliary switches, lights connect easily to wiring harness under the hood
- Mounts seem to be good quality, built of quality materiel

Not As Good:
- The curve of the mount does not perfectly match the curve of the cowl. I had to slightly get the three screws started then tighten each, a bit at a time to pull down the mount evenly and slowly. It took a couple attempts to get everything lined up. I went slowly and evenly, worried about any stress that might be placed on the factory cowl.
- I didn't have black washers in my kit (as shown in your photo). The heads on the screws are a bit small compared to the holes for mounting. I need to pick up some quality washers and reinstall. I think it just looks better compared to my install.
- The kit comes with three spacers that sit in place on the cowl. Each are about an inch tall. They are a bear to keep aligned since they just sit until you get the mounting screws tightened down. Again, it's a slow install working each mounting screw a little at a time to get the mount in place.
- The kit only comes with the short mounts. I had to buy the additional tall mounts to have dual lights. For price, you'd like they would provide a complete kit (long and short mounts).

Overall, I'm happy with them. I spent a lot of time looking at options and end the end, I liked the dual light set up, and the curve of the mount.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience? Rigid 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience? Rigid 2.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience? Rigid 3.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience? Rigid 4.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience? Rigid 5.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Rigid cowl mount, anyone have an opinion or experience? Rigid 6

OP
OP

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
thanks for the helpful tips ekoii. Based on your mounting positions, is enough of the light making it to the road in a helpful and meaningful way? One of my other concerns is if they sit too low, or too close to the body, the body of the vehicle might be blocking some of the light from projecting onto the road. This is a trade off cause part of the reason i like them, is for the lower profile look.

ekoii

First Name
Emmitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the helpful tips ekoii. Based on your mounting positions, is enough of the light making it to the road in a helpful and meaningful way? One of my other concerns is if they sit too low, or too close to the body, the body of the vehicle might be blocking some of the light from projecting onto the road. This is a trade off cause part of the reason i like them, is for the lower profile look.
I'll try to get out for night pictures, but you're right about some light not hitting the road, especially close range because of the hood length. But, mine do a good job and meet my needs. You might get a wider range by varying your light pods (couple spots and a couple wide angle). On my set up, longer range is pretty good and close range is filled in by the headlights. The lights do allow for a good bit of adjustment (up/down) with the mounting brackets that come with them. Left/Right is fixed which is one of the criticisms I've read about the mounts from folks who want to have lights facing outwards from the Jeep instead of just directly forward. The only other lights I'm thinking about adding is the Rigid Adapt lightbar on the bumper as winch lights.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
I'll try to get out for night pictures, but you're right about some light not hitting the road, especially close range because of the hood length. But, mine do a good job and meet my needs. You might get a wider range by varying your light pods (couple spots and a couple wide angle). On my set up, longer range is pretty good and close range is filled in by the headlights. The lights do allow for a good bit of adjustment (up/down) with the mounting brackets that come with them. Left/Right is fixed which is one of the criticisms I've read about the mounts from folks who want to have lights facing outwards from the Jeep instead of just directly forward. The only other lights I'm thinking about adding is the Rigid Adapt lightbar on the bumper as winch lights.
Just wondering couldn't you rotate the lower lights 90 degrees so you have right to left adjustment instead of up and down?

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
What beam pattern(s) are you running on the cowl mount? Are you only able to use Rigid cube lights or would other brands of similar size work?

ekoii

First Name
Emmitt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads