Riding comfortness 2 door JL sport vs 4 door JLU sport

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
I traded in my 2019 JL sport for a 2021 JLU sport. It turns out the driving comforness got a lot worse. I usually drive 125 miles on highway+ mountain road weeklg. When I was in my 19JL, the ride was smooth. However, the 21 JLU was a nightmare to me whenever I jump into the JLU. Because of the rough drive, I could feel every single crack on the road. I felt like I was driving a lotus elise instead. It gave me sore legs and back pain due to extreme vibrations. I didnt know what the jeep did to the new JLU, or specifically my JLU, but the shocks seems too stiff to me and I am now stuck with it
Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Do they both have the same tires? What PSI are your current tires?

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
All else being equal I'd expect the JLU to be a little better with the longer wheelbase and extra weight. Being Sports I'd think the shocks would be equivalent between the two. I have a 2021 JLU Sport and think it rides pretty good for what it is. Far better than my old 2003 TJ, but haven't ever ridden in a JL Sport for comparison.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
I think something is wrong with my JLU. Maybe I should take it back to dealership to check it out even i am pretty sure that they won't do anything about it. :(

OP
OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
All else being equal I'd expect the JLU to be a little better with the longer wheelbase and extra weight. Being Sports I'd think the shocks would be equivalent between the two. I have a 2021 JLU Sport and think it rides pretty good for what it is. Far better than my old 2003 TJ, but haven't ever ridden in a JL Sport for comparison.
Handling indeed got better as I was able to enter and exit a turn more quicker on a mountain road. However, the highway asphalt ride was just unacceptable. It is like a sports car with stiff suspension.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Maybe there's some comfort-tuned shocks you could try? I know some shocks are stiffer than others. Maybe the shocks on your 2-door were more worn out over time and felt softer and now your new JL just has stiffer, new shocks again. Shocks aren't horribly expensive and swapping in some softer ones might make the highway ride smoother. Just a thought anyway...

OP
OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
Maybe there's some comfort-tuned shocks you could try? I know some shocks are stiffer than others. Maybe the shocks on your 2-door were more worn out over time and felt softer and now your new JL just has stiffer, new shocks again. Shocks aren't horribly expensive and swapping in some softer ones might make the highway ride smoother. Just a thought anyway...
I only had 10k miles (1 year) on the 19 that I traded in.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
You should get it checked out. I have a 2 door sport, but rented a 4 door sport and I don't remember there being a substantial difference in ride quality.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JeepXalfa

First Name
Evo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 JL 2dr
You should get it checked out. I have a 2 door sport, but rented a 4 door sport and I don't remember there being a substantial difference in ride quality.
Good to hear that from you. I will need to bring it back to check out. (Currently I have 1k miles)

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Pressure should be checked with the tyres cold. For my JL Sport, 36psi is correct.
Sponsored