Ride Comfort - Sahara vs Rubicon

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a wrangler and am debating if I should get a Sahara or a Rubicon. I tested drive on both last week and I felt that Rubicon has a much rougher ride on the highway compared to the Sahara. 90% of my time on Wrangler will be city and highway driving with no more than 5-8 times a year going on off-roading in Southwest Colorado (Ouray, Lake City, Telluride). I understand that Rubicon has a different suspension system from the Sahara and I wonder if the rough ride feeling on the Rubicon on the highway and in city is caused by its off-road suspension or if the rough ride is caused by its KO2 off-road tires? I like the look of the Rubicon but the rough ride on the Rubicon is tuning me off hence I am also looking at the Sahara. Can you comment on the ride quality of the Rubicon for city driving and whether rough ride on Rubicon is simply caused by its off-road suspension? Thank you !!
I drive my Rubicon daily to work which is 60 miles round trip. The ride is fine to me as my past vehicles have been trucks on 37/38" tires. The mud tires will impact the ride feel, as will the suspension of the Rubicon. If you are really sensitive to ride feel on the highway, definitely go with the Sahara.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Wranglers are shipped with high tire pressure. Something like 50 psi? A lot of dealers do not adjust the tire pressures. Make sure the tire pressure is correct and test drive both again.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I own a 2020 Rubicon. To me it rides fine. All Jeep’s ride like a Chuckwagon pulled behind 12 oxen across boulders in 100-degree heat. If you compare that to a Lexus, the ride SUCKS.

a Jeep Sahara to a Sport to a Rubi? They all ride Fine if comparing to a chucksagon or like shit if comparing to a Lexus.

buy the jeep that you want…the ride is the “same” (and fine) Across the line-up. If you are focused only on the ride, buy a Lexus.
Or possibly a Bronco.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
The Sahara trim was introduced specifically for your use case - primarily on-road, with occasional off-road. Not to say a Rubicon is a bad choice, just saying that for the use case you described.

Also, keep in mind that unless you get the tan leather, the Rubicon comes with a red dash and red stitching throughout. May not matter for you but it was a huge turn-off for me.
There is an option when building your Jeep Rubicon that you can select the Mopar leather seat covers which are just about the same price as picking the leather option and they are made by Katzkin. You can also change out the satin red dash panels for less than $300 and sell the red ones, they are always in demand

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a wrangler and am debating if I should get a Sahara or a Rubicon. I tested drive on both last week and I felt that Rubicon has a much rougher ride on the highway compared to the Sahara. 90% of my time on Wrangler will be city and highway driving with no more than 5-8 times a year going on off-roading in Southwest Colorado (Ouray, Lake City, Telluride). I understand that Rubicon has a different suspension system from the Sahara and I wonder if the rough ride feeling on the Rubicon on the highway and in city is caused by its off-road suspension or if the rough ride is caused by its KO2 off-road tires? I like the look of the Rubicon but the rough ride on the Rubicon is tuning me off hence I am also looking at the Sahara. Can you comment on the ride quality of the Rubicon for city driving and whether rough ride on Rubicon is simply caused by its off-road suspension? Thank you !!
I've had both in the past 30 days. The Sahara was lifted and on 35's while the Rubicon is bone stock until month's end. The difference you are feeling are the tires. My stock Sahara felt different because of the tread pattern. After having both Jeeps on All Terrains, the difference is minimal. The Sahara had a Mopar lift on it with Fox shocks and the rubicon has the factory suspension until the Metalcloak lift comes in. At his point the Rubi will be getting 37 C rated KO2's.

Sponsored

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
One other thing to consider is with the Rubicon you can always change the shocks a for a softer ride and the Rubicon Differentials are roughly 1.5" wider than a standard Wrangler. You do get a lot more with the Rubicon than a Sahara but do you need them? are you going to wish later on that you had them? Its cheaper to build it the way you want it no vs trying to do the modifications later.
I would say it all depends on what you feel comfortable spending and how you will use it
Depending on which model you chose there are a lot of axle ratios available which make a big difference in performance The Sahara has a 3:45 or a 3:73 and that will make a difference if you choose to go to larger tires in the future or just want it to have more get up and go.

There is always the more standard optioned Sahara Altitude, as far as the Rubicon goes you get the choice of either the 3:73 axle ratio ot the 4:10 ratio which real makes a difference with the get up and go part of it. You do get a lot more for the price difference.

I would try to take a Jeep Sahara equipped as you want and have the tire pressure checked and most likely lowered and see how you like the ride, and then do the same with a Rubicon.

I would try to find a Sahara with the 3:45 ratio and one with the 3:73 ratio, and a Rubicon with the 3:73 ratio and the 4:10 ratio, the Rubicon with the 3:73 ratio might be hard to find and make sure the Rubicon has the all terrain tires and not the Falken MT tires.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I've had both in the past 30 days. The Sahara was lifted and on 35's while the Rubicon is bone stock until month's end. The difference you are feeling are the tires. My stock Sahara felt different because of the tread pattern. After having both Jeeps on All Terrains, the difference is minimal. The Sahara had a Mopar lift on it with Fox shocks and the rubicon has the factory suspension until the Metalcloak lift comes in. At his point the Rubi will be getting 37 C rated KO2's.
Did they release the BFG 37 C KO2? I was told they wold not be available to August.
The 315/70/17 c rated BFG KO2 one for the Jeep Wrangler and the other one for Ford Raptor were supposed to be available in mid June, funny to have the same tire with 2 different part numbers
07361 for the Raptor and 08884 for the Jeep.
It is going to be nice to finally have a 37" tire that weighs pretty much the same as a 35" tire

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/auto/tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Did they release the BFG 37 C KO2? I was told they wold not be available to August.
The 315/70/17 c rated BFG KO2 one for the Jeep Wrangler and the other one for Ford Raptor were supposed to be available in mid June, funny to have the same tire with 2 different part numbers
07361 for the Raptor and 08884 for the Jeep.
It is going to be nice to finally have a 37" tire that weighs pretty much the same as a 35" tire

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/auto/tires/all-terrain-t-a-ko2
Yes, the 37s are out. Mine are sitting at discount tire as we speak. Waiting on lift to arrive.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes, the 37s are out. Mine are sitting at discount tire as we speak. Waiting on lift to arrive.
I cant wait to see your Jeep with them on! I went the conservative route with my 392 Rubicon and put 315/70/17`s BFG KO2`s C range on it.
I might have to look into another set of rims and go with the 37`s

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Wranglers are shipped with high tire pressure. Something like 50 psi? A lot of dealers do not adjust the tire pressures. Make sure the tire pressure is correct and test drive both again.
I don't know about shipped with because I bought mine used from a dealer. It had 40 in the tires. What does it take to make the TPMS happy? Seems it is 34 or 36.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Here is the thing.....

With the Rubi you will have a hottie in the passenger seat feeding you chocolate covered strawberries, showing you her ample lady mounds, giggling at your jokes, and whispering dirty things in your ear. You will be so pre-occupied you will not realize your ass is numb from driving a solid axle vehicle.

With the Sahara you will be alone. Your will fully notice your ass is numb from bouncing down the road in a solid axle vehicle.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It’s a lot easier/cheaper to make a Rubicon ride nicer than it is to add lockers, wider axles, 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, high clearance fenders and electronic swaybar to a Sahara

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
It’s a lot easier/cheaper to make a Rubicon ride nicer than it is to add lockers, wider axles, 4.10 gears, 4:1 transfer case, high clearance fenders and electronic swaybar to a Sahara
The Rubicon vs Sahara decision should be a question of whether you need this additional hardware. If you don't need the additional hardware then you could get a Sport S or a Sahara an save the money.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
When choosing what model to get, don`t forget that life changes too. I am not pro Rubicon just because I have always owned them, it`s based upon how many people have said I wish I bought a Rubicon because its so expensive to add the options later on. I tried to save money on my last Rubicon by not getting some options and then ended up regretting not getting them, that applies to any model you buy

There are plenty of Jeep owners that have bought a sport or Sahara and put a lift on with 35" tires and they constantly complain that their Jeep is a dog and won't even get into 8th gear. I just think that you should drive both equipped exactly the same and with lower tire pressure and see which you like. You don't have to get the steel bumpers on the Rubicon and you can save on not choosing other options. You can always do the same with the Sahara but upgrading the gearing is costly and they only offer a limited slip diff for $595

Buy what makes you happy and be happy with what you bought

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The Rubicon vs Sahara decision should be a question of whether you need this additional hardware. If you don't need the additional hardware then you could get a Sport S or a Sahara an save the money.
Around here Saharas are often more expensive then Rubi's for some odd reason. I assume it's because Jeep's are so popular here and a lot of teens and such get Saharas as a first vehicle.....
Sponsored