First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
A few months back, I traded in a 2018 JLU Sahara for a 2021 Rubicon. In 2018 when I test drove both, I felt the same way, however, my experience now driving the Rubicon Since Dec, I am more happy with it. It absorbs bumps better and basically drives the same on the highway. However, the steering is much better in the 2021.

I have the stock 33" KO2s and had the 32" Goodyear Wranglers on the Sahara. I prefer the KO2's for all around and much better off road. I found that here in CO, the Sahara is limited off road without mods. I just took the Rubicon with stock tires and suspension on a trail I would only dream about with the stock Sahara. Hence the trade in! In my opinion for ~$1000 more for the Rubicon over the Sahara (similarly equipped) I would not think twice about the Rubicon. Unless you will never take it on a moderate to difficult trail. I think the Sahara was a bit quieter on the highway. Maybe due to the 18" wheels and less aggressive tires.

Note, when test driving the Rubicon back in 2018 and for a few weeks after getting my new Rubicon, there was a strange hollowness in the cab that I experienced (for lack of a better way to describe it). It disappeared after a few weeks and is totally gone now, but it was definitely never there in the Sahara. I think it caused me to think the Rubicon was a rougher ride.

My 2 cents: if you off road, get the Rubicon over the Sahara. They price out so similar and you get so much more capability off road. I wish I had chose the Rubicon back in 2018. But, I take it off road and that is the main factor. Cost will end up more if upgrading a Sahara.
Our ‘21 Rubicon rides better than our ‘19 Sahara used to when it was stock. The Sahara still rode great with a Rubicon suspension, just a little firmer handling.

Our ‘21 has softer part number rear springs than the Rubicon rear springs that were on Sahara until recently.

OP, make sure to check your tire pressure. Dealers notoriously have too high of a pressure in them making for abrupt bumps and feeling bridge expansion joints really well.
Sponsored

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I have just taken the keys from the dealer for my 21 392 Rubicon and it does ride a little harsh but they had the tires at 40 psi which is way too much. I have owned and driven just about every stock combination and I can tell you this much. My wifes 20 Grand Cherokee Overland with its 20" rims rides harder than any Rubicon I have owned.

I traded in a Ford Raptor that felt like a dream while driving on and off road but the difference in wheelbase and width make all the difference in the world. It isn't so much that the Jeep is lighter, roughly 5200 pounds and the Raptor was around 5700 pounds hard to believe that they are this close in weight but the Raptor was all about comfort, killer seats and sound deadening everywhere

It all breaks down to what you really want, Rubicon with 3:73 or 4:10 gears? you can always change the springs to a soft ride set and there is always the tires and tire pressure which will make a world of difference
How are you liking it after dropping the tire pressure?

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I own a 2020 Rubicon. To me it rides fine. All Jeep’s ride like a Chuckwagon pulled behind 12 oxen across boulders in 100-degree heat. If you compare that to a Lexus, the ride SUCKS.

a Jeep Sahara to a Sport to a Rubi? They all ride Fine if comparing to a chucksagon or like shit if comparing to a Lexus.

buy the jeep that you want…the ride is the “same” (and fine) Across the line-up. If you are focused only on the ride, buy a Lexus.

Last edited:

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Our ‘21 Rubicon rides better than our ‘19 Sahara used to when it was stock. The Sahara still rode great with a Rubicon suspension, just a little firmer handling.

Our ‘21 has softer part number rear springs than the Rubicon rear springs that were on Sahara until recently.

OP, make sure to check your tire pressure. Dealers notoriously have too high of a pressure in them making for abrupt bumps and feeling bridge expansion joints really well.
What part numbers do you have on your suspension now?

Sponsored

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Thank you all for your comments and advice on Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara. I am now leaning toward getting a Rubicon. I currently drive a 2015 Grand Cherokee and I was in Ridgway, CO on Tue doing some off roading and I wish I had a Wrangler.
I do like my Jeep GC, but I love the classic look of the Wrangler and its off road capability..... so it's time to get one. Thanks again !!
You won't be disappointed. My Rubicon rides just as good as my wife's Escalade. I would argue even better because the Cadillac is so heavy. Way more comfortable than my fun car, a VW GTI.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
What part numbers do you have on your suspension now?
I don’t recall the complete number but it’s around here so you can see what I’m talking about in the online parts catalogs. I have a 61/62 combination up front and Synergy 1” lift springs out back to offset load.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I bought a 2018 JLU Sport, on its stock Goodyear tires. I swapped on springs/shocks/tires from a Rubicon. There are characteristics of the ride that are different but overall I don't think the ride is that much different.
If you're trying to decide on a Wrangler based on ride, then maybe you are looking at the wrong vehicle.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
How are you liking it after dropping the tire pressure?
I am currently running 32 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear and the ride is great for me. I have also done a chalk test to see how much contact area or patch that the tire is making with the pavement

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
The Sahara will have a softer ride than the Rubi but I think comes down to what your accustom to.

My TJ Rubi has a 3.5" lift and the ride can only be described as harsh. If I try to push it over 60mph it makes me feel like I'm in Apollo 11 during reentry....no lie.

In comparison my 21 JLURD will shoot up to 80mph on an interstate without me even realizing how fast I'm going. So coming from the TJ to JLURD the new Jeep feels very smooth compared to the TJ.

I also have a RAM2500 diesel and it's so heavy that it soaks up most of the bumps and it's really cushy.

If you're used to a cushy ride the Sahara might be a better choice, if you can stand a slightly bumper ride the Rubi is the way to go and it's really not that bad at all. It's all relative to what your are accustomed to.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a wrangler and am debating if I should get a Sahara or a Rubicon. I tested drive on both last week and I felt that Rubicon has a much rougher ride on the highway compared to the Sahara. 90% of my time on Wrangler will be city and highway driving with no more than 5-8 times a year going on off-roading in Southwest Colorado (Ouray, Lake City, Telluride). I understand that Rubicon has a different suspension system from the Sahara and I wonder if the rough ride feeling on the Rubicon on the highway and in city is caused by its off-road suspension or if the rough ride is caused by its KO2 off-road tires? I like the look of the Rubicon but the rough ride on the Rubicon is tuning me off hence I am also looking at the Sahara. Can you comment on the ride quality of the Rubicon for city driving and whether rough ride on Rubicon is simply caused by its off-road suspension? Thank you !!
You answered you own question. Go with the sahara based on what you wrote. I have a Rubicon and to me it just rides… like a wrangler. It is not a sedan. I do off road like probably 1 a month but when I am off roading it, I want the best jeep can offer.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

The Sahara trim was introduced specifically for your use case - primarily on-road, with occasional off-road. Not to say a Rubicon is a bad choice, just saying that for the use case you described.

Also, keep in mind that unless you get the tan leather, the Rubicon comes with a red dash and red stitching throughout. May not matter for you but it was a huge turn-off for me.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I bought a 2018 JLU Sport, on its stock Goodyear tires. I swapped on springs/shocks/tires from a Rubicon. There are characteristics of the ride that are different but overall I don't think the ride is that much different.
If you're trying to decide on a Wrangler based on ride, then maybe you are looking at the wrong vehicle.

added:
I think the Rubicon has a little bit stiffer springs, hardly noticeable, but has quite a bit stiffer shocks. I don't think the standard JL has stiff enough shocks and on some types of pavement it can bounce up and down. The Rubicon shocks don't do that so the Rubicon maybe has a better ride on freeway speed pavement. OTOH with the increased tire mass now there is more disruption on large bumps or gaps in the pavement. I don't notice it offroad but on pavement if you hit a small pothole I think you feel it more. Put heavier wheels and tires on it and I don't know what difference that might make.

I've driven many 700+ mile trips straight through and one 975 mile trip, the ride is plenty comfortable. What bothers me more after a long highway trip like that is the wind noise.
Sponsored