Ride Comfort - Sahara vs Rubicon

wtran

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a wrangler and am debating if I should get a Sahara or a Rubicon. I tested drive on both last week and I felt that Rubicon has a much rougher ride on the highway compared to the Sahara. 90% of my time on Wrangler will be city and highway driving with no more than 5-8 times a year going on off-roading in Southwest Colorado (Ouray, Lake City, Telluride). I understand that Rubicon has a different suspension system from the Sahara and I wonder if the rough ride feeling on the Rubicon on the highway and in city is caused by its off-road suspension or if the rough ride is caused by its KO2 off-road tires? I like the look of the Rubicon but the rough ride on the Rubicon is tuning me off hence I am also looking at the Sahara. Can you comment on the ride quality of the Rubicon for city driving and whether rough ride on Rubicon is simply caused by its off-road suspension? Thank you !!
Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
you are asking opinion on a extremely objective topic. You really should try each of them for longer period of time and decide on you own.

for example, my rubicon is way more comfortable and smoother ride than my Porsche gt3rs....and even quiter..however, it's horrible compared to my Prius.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The Rubicon does have a stiffer suspension that is primarily designed for off road use. Jeeps also get different springs based on what packages you pick such as towing package, steel bumpers, etc. But a JL Wrangler is a JL Wrangler. You can start with a Sport and turn it into a Rubicon. It may not be cost effective, but you can. They're all the same frame.

I don't know what to tell you about city driving "ride quality" as that means different things to different people. 90% of my driving is off road (if you count highway driving to get to off road driving) so my definition of ride quality is probably different than yours.

What you need to do is drive them both and see which one you prefer. A Jeep is a very customizable vehicle. My priorities mean nothing here, your priorities matter.

Yogi1956

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Clubs

I’m coming from a 2013 2 door Rubicon so the 21’ JLU Rubicon feels like a magic carpet ride 😂

My guess is a Rubicon will have a lower % of depreciation and will sell used faster than a Sahara but you also don’t want to dread driving your new Jeep everyday.

Konamonster

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon - Had 2018 JLU Sahara
A few months back, I traded in a 2018 JLU Sahara for a 2021 Rubicon. In 2018 when I test drove both, I felt the same way, however, my experience now driving the Rubicon Since Dec, I am more happy with it. It absorbs bumps better and basically drives the same on the highway. However, the steering is much better in the 2021.

I have the stock 33" KO2s and had the 32" Goodyear Wranglers on the Sahara. I prefer the KO2's for all around and much better off road. I found that here in CO, the Sahara is limited off road without mods. I just took the Rubicon with stock tires and suspension on a trail I would only dream about with the stock Sahara. Hence the trade in! In my opinion for ~$1000 more for the Rubicon over the Sahara (similarly equipped) I would not think twice about the Rubicon. Unless you will never take it on a moderate to difficult trail. I think the Sahara was a bit quieter on the highway. Maybe due to the 18" wheels and less aggressive tires.

Note, when test driving the Rubicon back in 2018 and for a few weeks after getting my new Rubicon, there was a strange hollowness in the cab that I experienced (for lack of a better way to describe it). It disappeared after a few weeks and is totally gone now, but it was definitely never there in the Sahara. I think it caused me to think the Rubicon was a rougher ride.

My 2 cents: if you off road, get the Rubicon over the Sahara. They price out so similar and you get so much more capability off road. I wish I had chose the Rubicon back in 2018. But, I take it off road and that is the main factor. Cost will end up more if upgrading a Sahara.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The Sahara does have a smoother ride. Both the Rubicon suspension and KO2s add to the rougher ride. Try to drop the air pressure down to 32psi on both models and test them out again. Personally for us the Rubicon ride and tread wear is perfect like this. But do know that we just bought another set of brand new KO2s and wheels from another Rubicon owner whose wife complained also about the ride being too rough. They bought a tire that provided a much smoother quieter highway ride as that is her daily driver. So everyone does have a different perspective on this.

The Rubicon with lockers and disconnect is designed for hard core off-road use so these compromises are expected. If it still doesn’t feel right, get the model and tire combo that makes you the happiest.

It is all relative. Our 265/35-19 Z tires ride much much firmer as the other Porsche owner noted. Enjoy whatever you end up with. The JL really is an excellent little beast in a lot of varied conditions.

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did you notice what air pressure the Jeeps you test drove were at?

I can tell you from experience that the difference in air pressure from 40PSI (common on Jeeps on dealer lots) and low 30s PSI (probably a good compromise of comfort/handling/fuel economy) is much, much greater than the difference in ride between Rubicon and Sahara (when they are both at the same air pressure).

If you like the Rubicon, buy the Rubicon. You can fine tune the ride quality by simply adjusting tire pressures to your liking.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Very subjective questions raised. Ultimately, it comes down to which is going to bother you more in the long term:

A. Lesser ride quality of the Rubicon
B. Not having a Rubicon

Only you can answer that question. Good luck.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
The Sahara is generally the smoother driving vehicle of the two when on road; the Rubicon better equipped off-road. Differences in suspension, ride height and wheel diameter are the primary reasons why. Tire type can also contribute. Looks and expected resale value do not impact on-road ride quality, as you asked, and are respectively subjective and may not be supported by actual marketplace data.

Re tires, the Sahara comes stock with either all-season highway or all-terrain tires, depending on the setup, whereas the Rubicon comes with either all-terrain or firmer mud terrains. This will influence the on-road ride quality as well. Do you know what tires were on your Sahara tester?

Last edited:

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Own both, not much difference where you would notice of find objectionable, both ride nice on road or highway.

I have them both stock height with same Fox Shocks (gained about 1"), Steer Smarts Track bar, Falcon Stabilizer, synergy brace. and Mopar LCA ( longer).

Both upgraded to new steering box. Sahara has Select track T-case and LSD with the Bridgestones 32s. Rubicon has the KO2s 33s.

Buy either, ride is not much different.

Sponsored

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What about buying the Rubicon and swapping springs and shocks with a Sahara owner? Seems to be lots of people swapping in Rubicon suspension bits so I would think you could trade your parts with little to no money out of your pocket.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Hello, I am planning on purchasing a wrangler and am debating if I should get a Sahara or a Rubicon. I tested drive on both last week and I felt that Rubicon has a much rougher ride on the highway compared to the Sahara. 90% of my time on Wrangler will be city and highway driving with no more than 5-8 times a year going on off-roading in Southwest Colorado (Ouray, Lake City, Telluride). I understand that Rubicon has a different suspension system from the Sahara and I wonder if the rough ride feeling on the Rubicon on the highway and in city is caused by its off-road suspension or if the rough ride is caused by its KO2 off-road tires? I like the look of the Rubicon but the rough ride on the Rubicon is tuning me off hence I am also looking at the Sahara. Can you comment on the ride quality of the Rubicon for city driving and whether rough ride on Rubicon is simply caused by its off-road suspension? Thank you !!
Well I have Rubicon takeoffs on my sport and its just great. 1 If I have to haul anything I don't get the sagging, and the handling is just tighter.

Jocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hydro Blue 4xe Rubicon
Do you currently own a Jeep? If not, I'm wondering if that "no more than 5-8 times a year going on off-roading in Southwest Colorado" might go out the window pretty quickly after you get one. 😛

OP
OP

wtran

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara
Thank you all for your comments and advice on Wrangler Rubicon and Sahara. I am now leaning toward getting a Rubicon. I currently drive a 2015 Grand Cherokee and I was in Ridgway, CO on Tue doing some off roading and I wish I had a Wrangler.
I do like my Jeep GC, but I love the classic look of the Wrangler and its off road capability..... so it's time to get one. Thanks again !!

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I have just taken the keys from the dealer for my 21 392 Rubicon and it does ride a little harsh but they had the tires at 40 psi which is way too much. I have owned and driven just about every stock combination and I can tell you this much. My wifes 20 Grand Cherokee Overland with its 20" rims rides harder than any Rubicon I have owned.

I traded in a Ford Raptor that felt like a dream while driving on and off road but the difference in wheelbase and width make all the difference in the world. It isn't so much that the Jeep is lighter, roughly 5200 pounds and the Raptor was around 5700 pounds hard to believe that they are this close in weight but the Raptor was all about comfort, killer seats and sound deadening everywhere

It all breaks down to what you really want, Rubicon with 3:73 or 4:10 gears? you can always change the springs to a soft ride set and there is always the tires and tire pressure which will make a world of difference
Sponsored