Sponsored

Rich Jeepers

Paulguy100

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
What the f*** do y’all do for a living?! I make pretty decent money, but some of you guys post pictures or make comments that blow my mind. So I just want to know what you do for a living… and if they’re hiring 😉
The wife got new windows and an upgraded bathroom. Only seemed fair that I got a Jeep. 🤷‍♂️:)
Sponsored

frankorego

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR Hard Rock (sold) 2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Manager
I have my own business. A small graphic design shop with 1 employee (me). I spent a couple of decades in the corporate design world working in-house and in agencies though. My boss runs a tight ship and can be a real asshole. Unfortunately we aren't hiring.

But I will say this, it's not necessarily how much money you make, it's what you do with it. Cash is king. When you are having to make your own way, you learn how to spend more wisely and make your money work for you. Prior to my new JLUR, I drove a Honda Accord for 13 years. I hated it, but I was willing to sacrifice for the greater good.
I drove a 1998 ford ranger 2 doors for 12 years before I got my first jeep. Paid $1800 for it. It had a salvage title. Someone dropped it off at the repair shop and couldn't pay the bill. They were only asking for enough to cover the bill.

gkolb92

First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep Wrangler, Wrangler 392
Crypto! Worked hard, and put every extra dollar I had into crypto. Don't recommend it for everybody. Life changing money in a short time. Worth looking into and educating yourself on. Believe it is the future, and it's here to stay (well bitcoin at least).

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
everything is relative. You don't have to be rich to buy a jeep and mod it. You just have to have confidence you can do it without going bankrupt. However you do that its up to you. Your money is supposed to work for YOU. You are young and should get into a good savings plan at your current employment. Maybe don't get the expensive cars at this time, get a Honda for a few years then trade it in for a Jeep later when you have the cash saved. Plus, if you plan to have kids, you, yes YOU, will be getting a minivan anyway. I promise you that......... We've all been there!

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
If you are looking at it from the perspective of what they spend on their rig simply comes out of their transportation budget, I can see how you would think that way. However, many use funds from their entertainment (and likely other pools of money) as they also consider it to be their passion.

I am with you. While I have been lucky enough to create a successful business, the amount of money Jeepers spend on their rig still makes me gulp.

Sponsored

Kurt0

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
IG Model and Influencer
What the f*** do y’all do for a living?! I make pretty decent money, but some of you guys post pictures or make comments that blow my mind. So I just want to know what you do for a living… and if they’re hiring 😉
executive coaching and project management consulting. I love what I do, and my clients value the experience I bring to problem sets.

I’ve been operating strictly by word of mouth, but as demand has expanded, I’m going LLC this fall and hoping to bring on additional staff.

first step is removing limiting beliefs you have about your capability. Second step is doing the work. 💪

Boatbuilder88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
F-16 Engineer (retired)
I disagree. I see it happening all around me. Keep in mind I'm not even talking about huge swaths of wealth being passed down.

Being gifted 20k for a 1st home downpayment, or having your education paid for you (no student loans) may not seem like much but gives a person a huge headstart in life.

Things like that happen much more than you think.
You're not wrong. Having parents who can afford helping with a home downpayment or college certainly does help. (Don't get me started on the rediculously high cost for college.) I know my kids appreciate the help that they have received.

But most of the folks that I know who retired early have worked hard and saved/invested equally hard. Even if you aren't earning six figures, there are many ways to minimize discretionary monthly expenses. No one says it's easy but watching your investments grow in value over a couple of decades is fun too!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Work overtime, work 16 hour work days to waste half your life at work then enjoy the last 20 years of your life while you just wasted 20! :CWL:

People's perception of work/life balance and salaries are sure distorted.

Or if you work a bunch of overtime, your retirement pension with 20 years in is worth more than your 30 year pension without overtime and you then can retire 10 years earlier........ Have seen it happen. Retiring at 51 also means that I have 10 to 15 years of better quality life than someone that retires at say 62 or 65. I am under the belief that there are things that will be way more fun to do when I am in my early fifties vs my mid sixties.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ

Dual income, no kids and cut costs where we can - no cable or streaming services, pretty thrifty on living expenses and cook at home a lot. I have a full time day job and am a hockey referee on the side which goes towards travel and Jeep life. Traded in my 03' TJ towards my '18 JLUR which gave me a really affordable payment. Looking forward to retirement in ~15 years and putting a lot of money into retirement accounts now to use for Jeep trips/travel when retired and doing so until we are no more.

Sponsored

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
Im just a gigalo.

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
You're not wrong. Having parents who can afford helping with a home downpayment or college certainly does help. (Don't get me started on the rediculously high cost for college.) I know my kids appreciate the help that they have received.

But most of the folks that I know who retired early have worked hard and saved/invested equally hard. Even if you aren't earning six figures, there are many ways to minimize discretionary monthly expenses. No one says it's easy but watching your investments grow in value over a couple of decades is fun too!
I agree with you. My dad is a good example of a person with almost no education that was able to find a blue collar job, work tons and tons of OT and make a good living. He never saved a dime of it but retired from that job 43 years later with a pension. Even with him squandering away all his earnings, he's still able to live comfortably in retirement due to his pension. Most folks on this site seem to be middle aged and older and made a good living in similar fashion as my dad.

It's realllly hard to do it that way these days, or at least certainly much harder than it was in my dad's time. The OP is young and it's my belief that depression and suicide is way, way up with their generation because they see everyone doing so well 'online' and they feel they have failed in life somehow because they don't measure up.

I just wanted him to know that there are a lot of things behind the scenes, advantages that his peers may have received that he didn't, that lead to faster prosperity. And Hell, a lot of it is just plain fake too, folks making up stories and/or living on the edge of of finances just so they can 'stunt on Instagram'.

None of this is to negate the advice he has been given in this thread which is worth its weight in gold.

Last edited:

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
Dual income, no kids and cut costs where we can - no cable or streaming services, pretty thrifty on living expenses and cook at home a lot. I have a full time day job and am a hockey referee on the side which goes towards travel and Jeep life. Traded in my 03' TJ towards my '18 JLUR which gave me a really affordable payment. Looking forward to retirement in ~15 years and putting a lot of money into retirement accounts now to use for Jeep trips/travel when retired and doing so until we are no more.

Same for me as far as putting equity into my JLU. I sold a 2014 JKU in April at the beginning of the rise in the market and got 30k for it. Ordered the JLU at 8% off invoice. Put the 30k from the JKU into the JLU, added a few more grand and got the small balance financed at 0% for 3 years. My payment is so low I barely even notice it.

If I were starting from scratch and had to purchase the JLU with no equity to put towards it, it's very doubtful I would've even considered it.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I came from nothing money wise > enlisted > 20 years later retired > now a DoD Contractor.

Retirement CK, Disability, pay check > max out 401k annually > Max out Roth IRA annually > playing with Crypto for fun > and looking for a vacation rental in the near future. Have to spend money to make money or make your money work for you!

Credit card debt is the most evil thing, its fun to live like a credit baller in your 20-30s, but then you need to pay it off to get head. I only use my AMEX cards now and pay them off weekly the points alone this year with my HiltonHonors AMEX have grabbed me almost a week of free nights alone.

I refi'd my mortgage from a 30 year to a 15 yeat to build equity faster and be prepared for the next housing market crash > then sell > buy something else with the equity.

Investment trick - roll your well funded 401k over into a Roth IRA (its totally legal) All of that tax free money that goes into the 401K would be taxed when you pull it out......BUT Roth IRAs are tax free when you pull it out. Learning some tax law, having a good CPA and you're set.

OP
OP
Tynewlon

Tynewlon

First Name
Tyler 🚺
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU 2.0 4Cyl
everything is relative. You don't have to be rich to buy a jeep and mod it. You just have to have confidence you can do it without going bankrupt. However you do that its up to you. Your money is supposed to work for YOU. You are young and should get into a good savings plan at your current employment. Maybe don't get the expensive cars at this time, get a Honda for a few years then trade it in for a Jeep later when you have the cash saved. Plus, if you plan to have kids, you, yes YOU, will be getting a minivan anyway. I promise you that......... We've all been there!
Absolutely not. Never.
Sponsored