Rich Jeepers

SouthernJL

First Name
Isom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Camry and 2014
You post reflected like you meant "huge swaths of wealth being passed" down and inherited homes...

Perhaps some are lucky enough to have education paid for, I do see that. But I see many people major in crap disciplines and wonder why they cannot get ahead post college.
I do agree that many major in crap fields. But no, I didn't mean wealth being passed down. Speaking of more subtle headstarts in life that don't seem like much at the time. But because of those headstarts, those folks find themselves well ahead of their peers in just a few years (with decent money management).
Sponsored

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
I disagree. I see it happening all around me. Keep in mind I'm not even talking about huge swaths of wealth being passed down.

Being gifted 20k for a 1st home downpayment, or having your education paid for you (no student loans) may not seem like much but gives a person a huge headstart in life.

Things like that happen much more than you think.
I inherited $25K from my aunt in my 20’s. Rather than spending it on stuff like a new car, it went toward a down payment on our first house, which quickly gain equity that went toward our next house. The equity from that house was used to buy into the company I currently own.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Being gifted 20k for a 1st home downpayment, or having your education paid for you (no student loans) may not seem like much but gives a person a huge headstart in life.
Funny you say that. My uncle offered me 20k for a down payment on what could be my first home. However, i kept showing him these well kept older houses in GREAT locations for around 180k.

He kept saying “no too old, what you want is something in the 280-320k range.”

fuckin guy was trying to control my life. Id be better off to spend 180k and use my own down payment than take his 20k and be 300k in debt.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
I own my own business which after 21 years is pretty successful...However, the first 10 years I rented a room for $200 a month and did not spend .50 cents that did not go back into the business and 80+ hour work weeks were the norm. Slowly we added employees yet many times during the early years I did not take a paycheck-my employees however always got paid on time even if I had to borrow money to meet payroll. Honestly most of the sacrifices were well worth it and I would do it again...

Sponsored

SurfJeep

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Willys
My wife and I are in our 40s (early for me, a bit later for her). No kids, and we do pretty well for ourselves. After almost 20 years as an engineer for a mobile phone company, I jumped ship to one of their vendors to be a technical project manager. We’re not “rich” (although the government says otherwise) but we live comfortably in a high cost of living location.

My story is similar to others here. I’ve had some lucky breaks, but my financial situation is a lot more good decisions and keeping investing in my retirement a priority. My jeep isn’t too heavily modded (yet), but I do have a 392 in the driveway… it’s just in a Challenger.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
What the f*** do y’all do for a living?! I make pretty decent money, but some of you guys post pictures or make comments that blow my mind. So I just want to know what you do for a living… and if they’re hiring 😉
Technically the bank owns my Jeep. They’re just allowing me to use it. 😁

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
My JLUR was the most expensive vehicle I ever bought (and the only one I ever modified). Not because I couldn’t afford it but just didn’t have any interest in expensive cars. I also don’t like car payments and pay them off early and keep them. Put 266k miles on a 2005 H3 before I bought the JL. My daily driver is a 2006 Tacoma with 233K on it. I’m a small business owner with about 20 employees and do well. My wife recently retired after 30+ years at AT&T and saved well and got a nice pension. We put our daughter through college, but our son served in the Air Force and is finishing his Master’s degree on the GI bill. Work hard and save. And being in the right place at the right time helps.

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
Also keep in mind you‘re on forum where people’s greatest passions are their Jeeps. Most people are going to have nice rigs and be proud in displaying them for the community to enjoy.

I own a business. By the grace of God, lots of luck and the undying passion to never quit until I either retire and/or sell the company propels me forward. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. I am confident you’ll find your path.

Last edited:

Sponsored

t.i.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler buying soon
I have my own business. A small graphic design shop with 1 employee (me). I spent a couple of decades in the corporate design world working in-house and in agencies though. My boss runs a tight ship and can be a real asshole. Unfortunately we aren't hiring.

But I will say this, it's not necessarily how much money you make, it's what you do with it. Cash is king. When you are having to make your own way, you learn how to spend more wisely and make your money work for you. Prior to my new JLUR, I drove a Honda Accord for 13 years. I hated it, but I was willing to sacrifice for the greater good.
Since this is open forum, I state that this is something I completely disagree with. Cash is not always king and certain not in this economy. Economy is plush with money right now and actually debt is the way to go now. To summarize and not get into too much detail, you don’t want too much cash at the moment with the inflation rate being crazy. Take on as much as debt as possible. In the mortgage business you would be ahead of you took on debt for at least the near future. Good luck and cheers.
Either way. Debt or cash Jeep’s are fun

Rock Hopper

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MOAB, 2019 Cherokee, 2015 GrCherokee, 2006 TJ
Occupation
Retired Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
What the f*** do y’all do for a living?! I make pretty decent money, but some of you guys post pictures or make comments that blow my mind. So I just want to know what you do for a living… and if they’re hiring 😉
Retired.

And yes we are hiring. 🤣🤣🤣

5 cars, 4 Jeeps, 2 motorcycles (Harley & Indian), boat and lots of toys. Multiple homes and NO mortgages...retired at 50.

The key is to start early, work hard, save your money, invest (pay yourself first) don't buy anything on credit and you will do just fine.

Stay focused!

*My advice; Read a book called the "Wealthy Barber"-it's a game changer. Never go into debit on anything you can't afford (or a depreciating asset). Personally, I've never made a car payment or paid a dime in credit card interest. Lastly, invest in the S&P 500 (Index fund). "Slow and steady wins the race".

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
It is about what you choose to do with your money.

My sport S was 31.5k which I paid cash (not the smartest thing to do actually). I put only 3k on it so far.

But. I have a nice house, ordered a custom camper to pull with the JL, have some very nice toys (mtb, backcountry skiis, etc...) enjoy good wine and whiskey, good quality food, vacation. And spend quite a bit of money on house projects (house from 1920). But a house in Pasadena is a huge investment, so it is worth it. Also an enormous % of what I make goes into 401k, stock market, and 529. So I can retire early, kid can go to college comfortably, and I can put 20k on a Jeep when I am older and retired.

People just do different things with their money.

I am in my early 30s. You are in your early 20s. When I was in my early 20s I was saving money and driving a used corolla and stuck in school with a low paying job. So if you are thinking about new jeeps, you are either way ahead or getting into debt.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
It’s true that people allocate money towards what’s important to them. For example, keeping my wife happy by spending all my money on her is important to me. She’d get mad if she saw me phrase it that way... she would say something like:

“But that living room furniture set was for the house!

No, honey, that was for you. Before I met you, my jeep’s rear seat was my couch in front of my TV which sat on my dresser. In my studio apartment.

But now making her happy with a nice home is important to me, so I have a bone stock jeep:rock:

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
It’s not always what you do, but what you choose to spend your money on.
I was in my doctor's office, one of the nurses asked me, how many kids do you have!!!?
Five boys and four girls, it was the unexpected triplet girls, that upped the pot, I said, my doctor replied, that's a lot of money!
Sponsored