RI Inspection / tire poke

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Living in R.I. Got a new ‘21 Jeep Wrangler 2 door in June of 2021. Upgraded the stock Michelin tires and OEM wheels to new Pro Comp Series 33 matt black wheels size 17x9 (4.75 backspace / -6 offset) with Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285 70 r17 tires. Love the look and the ride! But now I’m concerned about passing inspection if my tires poke out too far past the stock fenders….

Don’t get me wrong, they aren’t “way” out there or anything. Nothing even close to many other vehicles (and other Jeeps) I’ve seen on the road recently. Do I need to be concerned here, or not so much? Local shop that has done recent work on my vehicle said I really shouldn’t worry about it since my tire poke is very minimal compared to others…but still.

Fortunately, since it is a new vehicle, I have 2 years in the state of RI to get inspected, so won’t have to do this until June 2023, so plenty of time. But thoughts, anyone local especially? Would flare extensions be worth it? Swapping new for old stock tires when inspection comes would be easy if I didn’t already sell them! LOL So is this not really a problem? 🤷‍♂️

0D330884-B49B-4C71-92A4-C83D51E0CC83.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Nice looking Ride.. 👍 Plus great tires, the same that I have on my JKR AND WILL BE ON OUR JLR WHEN NEEDED.
OMG..I hear these State inspection horror stories ongoing from PA, and now RI. Thankfully we don't have these inspections in Arizona. In fact, some of the Wrangler run without fenders out here.

Since that is a issue, why not just put your stock wheels and tires back on, and then run it through the inspection. I know several who do this in PA.

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice looking Ride.. 👍 Plus great tires, the same that I have on my JKR AND WILL BE ON OUR JLR WHEN NEEDED.
OMG..I hear these State inspection horror stories ongoing from PA, and now RI. Thankfully we don't have these inspections in Arizona. In fact, some of the Wrangler run without fenders out here.

Since that is a issue, why not just put your stock wheels and tires back on, and then run it through the inspection. I know several who do this in PA.
See second to last sentence in my post - already sold them! Long gone. 😂 Next option?

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
from ma so not expect on ri laws but found this https://dmv.ri.gov/media/481/download?language=en

section 3.5.12 makes it sound like mud flaps are good and is tied to a law

section 3.5.33 point J.5 makes it sound like any tire poke is bad

might be worth reach out to the to Ocean State Jeepers club or Ocean Sate Off Road/barrett fabrication they are a shop in warwick and might have an idea of what customers have had issues with

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was looking at something like this as well… Anyone use these before? Again, got about a year and a half before I need to get inspection…
Jeep Wrangler JL RI Inspection / tire poke D8667F30-B296-4843-83A8-792D15D55B19

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Jeep Dealers normally have a lot of take off's. Maybe your Sales person could get them to loan you a set, just long enough to run it through the inspection. Or do you have a Jeep Buddy Friend, that may loan you his?
It's just unbelievable, that the State puts you through this........

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I get the reason certain states have tire poke laws. If your tire sticks out too far, it can increase the risk of throwing dangerous debris on the people driving around you. Safety should always be paramount.

That said, it’s not like my tires are sticking out egregiously, unlike a lot of vehicles I see on the road that are WAY out there every day. I liken it to going 2 MPH over the speed limit - technically over, but not enough to warrant buying new wheels or anything like that. From the side view or diagonally, you can barely even tell they poke.

At least I still have plenty of time to figure this out 👍

MyJlU

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKU Sport
Occupation
Sr Product Line Researcher
Vehicle Showcase
I got my sticker last spring and had zero issues and I have a little more poke than you.

OP
OP
TheBirdie72

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got my sticker last spring and had zero issues and I have a little more poke than you.
Good to hear! I see from your signature line that you have similar wheel size and brand of tires I do (except yours are 315 MT which look even more badass) 👍. PM sent.
Sponsored