Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform + Maximus-3 mounts + Maximus-3 bolts + Roam RTT

1. shacdaddy

shacdaddy Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    #1 Aug 4, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    8A115E15-0CCE-4BB7-BA3C-D86E252C4CB8.png E75A0F1A-C32A-43C5-B8B1-6B4ED81E6C1C.png BF9296F9-5202-4EBB-84D4-AB79359FBB45.jpeg 586C5FB5-372D-4FFF-A93E-F645C424EFAE.jpeg A few months ago my friend and I installed the @Rhino-Rack Pioneer using the @Maximus-3 mounting brackets (https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-system-long). I liked that Maximus-3 had a system for the Pioneer on the market before Rhino Rack themselves finally released the Backbone. 900 pound weight capacity! It wasn’t easy, but not too complicated. I’ve been going back and forth between what RTT to get, but I finally decided on a Roam Adventure Co. tent (https://www.roamadventureco.com/collections/tents/products/the-vagabond?variant=15423441862702)

Given the low profile of the Pioneer and the Maximus-3 mounts, I wanted to keep the RTT as low as possible. After considering several mounting options, I trusted Maximus-3 enough to go with their low-profile lag bolt set-up for RTTs (https://maximus-3.com/home/lag-bolt-tent-mounting-hardware)

I wish I had taken photos of the install w/ my buddy, but honestly it got a tad frustrating. I started the install myself, then got pissed and quit for an hour or so. Bottom line, the Maximus-3 lag bolt system is: 1. 100% designed to work w/ the Rhino Rack Pioneer and 2. Advertised to work with “most” RTTs.

That’s the sticking point: how do you know which RTT will work and which won’t? They won’t tell you (I asked). After drilling 2 holes in the base of the Roam RTT w/ questionable measurements by me, I called my buddy over for a second set of eyes. He provided some valuable insight and hole marking techniques, which I wish the @Maximus-3 instructions could try to provide more of. All they say is 927mm spacing, and that wasn’t enough for me. Perhaps more photos of how you align the holes and mark them?

Then, once we lifted the RTT onto the Pioneer, that started the hardest part of our day: trying to get the bolts drilled into the RTT to align w/ the Pioneer’s channels. It seems easy, but w/ zero spacing between the tent’s base and the Pioneer, it’s honestly a “let’s just lift it up and hope for the best” scenario.

2.5 hours later, we were done.

281FA9E0-7E24-4B05-83EE-B27DBCE5DB66.jpeg

andeee and Moto_21 like this.
  2. Helajames

Helajames Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
    Liked:
    I did the same with a James Baroud tent but I just bough some rhino rack eye bolt and used the channel base from them, went to the hardware store and got some metric bolts that fit one set the correct length to instal the tent and a longer set to put the tent on. We slid the mounting feet in to the track already mounted to the tent on the longer bolts for slack and it worked ok.

I took it off once to mount an awning and the easiest way to put it back was with a couple long screw drivers through the holes, line up the brackets in he slots while the tent is sitting up on some 2x4s then set one side down at a time.

shacdaddy likes this.
  3. EB12

EB12 Active Member

First Name:
    Elvir
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
    Liked:
    Ill be getting my tent Saturday so i will be in the same boat as you. Im still considering using the rails the tent comes with and the included hardware to bolt it to the lower slats on the pioneer platform but these bolts seem interesting and I also would like to keep the tent as low as possible. How do they tighten once you slide the tent with them installed onto the platform? Do you have to go inside the tent once positioned to tighten them up so it wont slide out of place?

4. Helajames

Helajames Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    I drilled though the tent floor lining up with the slots on the rhino rack.

To get the holes to line up with the inserts on the track I put the tent on the rack sitting on 2 2foot long 2x4s I then opened the tent and put a long screwdriver through the hole and lined up the insert in the track with the hole for both mounts on the driver side, pulled 2x4 out with the screwdrivers still lining up the holes, put a bolt in loose and did the same for the other side.

Once all 4 bolts were started I slide the tent to where I want it to sit on the rack then tighten it down

5. Helajames

Helajames Member

First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle(s):
    Liked:
    Another option would be the front runner quick release mounts

6. OP
    OP
    shacdaddy

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    Yep you tighten them from inside the tent once it's on top of the rack and the bolts are inside the channels.

EB12 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    shacdaddy

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    Yeah I saw those, but I definitely preferred $24.99 compared to $299 :like:

8. EB12

EB12 Active Member

First Name:
    Elvir
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
    Liked:
    Let us know how it holds up. Im interested in those mounting bolts from Maximus also. I didnt see any weight restrictions or any specs on their website. Do you know the material and size of the bolts?

shacdaddy likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    shacdaddy

Vehicle(s):
    2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
    Liked:
    I don't recall the size of the bolts, but the weight limits are 300 lbs dynamic, 900 lbs static.

EB12 likes this.