Sponsored

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Guard Rails Whistling (Loud)

2DR OVRLND

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLR 2.0T / 2016 Polaris Ranger 900XP
Build Thread
Link
Hey guys, yesterday I installed the full rail kit on my rhino rack pioneer platform (pictured below) and, after taking it out on the road for the first time this morning, I noticed it whistles really bad above 58mph. Just looking it up there are no forum posts about it and rhino rack's website says to buy their $250 wind fairing :mad:. I really don't want to take them off but I might have to if I don't find a solution fast. Anybody else had this problem with the full rail kit? Ideas (ideally less than $250)?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I had similar whistling (starting at a similar speed) with my MetalCloak rack. My brother-in-law moved his hand around the rack (while at speed) and the whistling stopped when his hand was near the offending spot (having a SOT helps for that). I used Sugru to fill in the openings that were the root cause. Whistling is gone.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Hey guys, yesterday I installed the full rail kit on my rhino rack pioneer platform (pictured below) and, after taking it out on the road for the first time this morning, I noticed it whistles really bad above 58mph. Just looking it up there are no forum posts about it and rhino rack's website says to buy their $250 wind fairing :mad:. I really don't want to take them off but I might have to if I don't find a solution fast. Anybody else had this problem with the full rail kit? Ideas (ideally less than $250)?

View attachment 685513
What ladder are you running?

toblerthedog

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S6, Sting Gray JLUR
Can you get away with just running the side rails?...the wind noise will be significantly reduced. I had the same issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
2DR OVRLND

2DR OVRLND

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Can you get away with just running the side rails?...the wind noise will be significantly reduced. I had the same issue.
I just took them off for now, don't really need them since I'm not currently transporting anything on the roof, but I'll likely put them back for camping.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I'm running the Maximus-3 ladder. Here's the link if you want to buy: Ladder
Thanks! Curious if you have any wind noise without your rails and just the ladder? Could I also trouble you to take a pic up close of where it makes contact near the fender?

OP
OP
2DR OVRLND

2DR OVRLND

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks! Curious if you have any wind noise without your rails and just the ladder? Could I also trouble you to take a pic up close of where it makes contact near the fender?
Sure! Sorry for the delay I've been sick for a week :(.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Guard Rails Whistling (Loud) IMG_4671

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Guard Rails Whistling (Loud) IMG_4672

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
I had the pioneer rack for my 4runner and it was so bad that it made using the sun roof unbearable. Great rack though, just comes with the obvious downside.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Guard Rails Whistling (Loud) 2B6DDA5F-E1C7-48C8-975D-D41B0CE2DDBD

Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I had the pioneer rack for my 4runner and it was so bad that it made using the sun roof unbearable. Great rack though, just comes with the obvious downside.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Guard Rails Whistling (Loud) 2B6DDA5F-E1C7-48C8-975D-D41B0CE2DDBD
Great rack that was terrible?

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
The rack was great....the noise levels it made were not. You have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
I have the RhinoRack Pioneer Platform (on Maximus-3 2dr mounts, and side ladder) and no whistling at all.

With the roof-top tent on, suddenly a loud whistle when past 55mph. One layer of duct tape over the 1.5” gap between r-t tent and platform and the whistling stopped.

considered their wind deflector but nice black gaffer/duct tape is easier, cheaper, and looks better.
Sponsored