Sponsored

Rhino-Rack Pioneer Platform - Different Sizes?

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
The Rhino-rack with Pioneer platform for the JLU comes in a kit with only one platform size. Does anyone know if it is possible to install the Rhino-rack mounting system with a smaller pioneer platform? I would like to install a 60 x 56 inch platform instead of the 72 x 56 platform in the kit. Is this possible?

Edit: Sorry, I should have posted this in the Racks section.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
The Rhino-rack with Pioneer platform for the JLU comes in a kit with only one platform size. Does anyone know if it is possible to install the Rhino-rack mounting system with a smaller pioneer platform? I would like to install a 60 x 56 inch platform instead of the 72 x 56 platform in the kit. Is this possible?

Here is what I installed on my 2019 JL 2Dr. I am quite satisfied with it.

https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-2-door-roof-rack-system

Give them a call. I don't know why a smaller rack won't work on a Utility. They are quite responsive to calls and great to talk to. I lost one of the roof seal grommets and they got me one in the mail immediately at no cost. Good people.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is what I installed on my 2019 JL 2Dr. I am quite satisfied with it.

https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-2-door-roof-rack-system

Give them a call. I don't know why a smaller rack won't work on a Utility. They are quite responsive to calls and great to talk to. I lost one of the roof seal grommets and they got me one in the mail immediately at no cost. Good people.

IMG_0007.JPG

IMG_0008.JPG

IMG_0009.JPG

IMG_0010.JPG
Yes, I have seen the Maximus solutions, which are great. They do offer a smaller Pioneer rack for the JLU. I'm just wondering if there is a solution using the Rhino-rack mounts.

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S

You can buy the backbone on its own, RJLB1. Then just assemble the rest of the kit yourself with what you want (legs / spacers / platform). You don't have to buy the whole kit.

I think the problem you are going to have is that the 60" will be too short to mount on the 1st and 3rd legs, you'd probably have to do on the 2nd and 3rd. And the 1st set of legs near the freedom panels are the stoutest ones in the set because they are attached to the factory bar directly.

Look at some pictures online, I'd be nervous about shipping a shorter platform just to find that the mounting channels aren't long enough to fit the legs.

Rhino may have tried the shorter platform already, maybe worth dropping them an email. Not sure why you would necessarily want the short one since you can still operate the freedom panels with the long one?

OP
OP
texasbryan

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can buy the backbone on its own, RJLB1. Then just assemble the rest of the kit yourself with what you want (legs / spacers / platform). You don't have to buy the whole kit.

I think the problem you are going to have is that the 60" will be too short to mount on the 1st and 3rd legs, you'd probably have to do on the 2nd and 3rd. And the 1st set of legs near the freedom panels are the stoutest ones in the set because they are attached to the factory bar directly.

Look at some pictures online, I'd be nervous about shipping a shorter platform just to find that the mounting channels aren't long enough to fit the legs.

Rhino may have tried the shorter platform already, maybe worth dropping them an email. Not sure why you would necessarily want the short one since you can still operate the freedom panels with the long one?
That's my concern is that a shorter platform will not line up properly. I was hoping a shorter one could just be mounted to the middle and the rear mounts but you bring up a good point about the front mount offering the most support.

I'm not completely opposed to using the standard platform they provide, just feel like I don't need that much roof top storage. I appreciate the feedback.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
That's my concern is that a shorter platform will not line up properly. I was hoping a shorter one could just be mounted to the middle and the rear mounts but you bring up a good point about the front mount offering the most support.

I'm not completely opposed to using the standard platform they provide, just feel like I don't need that much roof top storage. I appreciate the feedback.
No problem. Watch the weight ratings too, the ones listed on various websites conflict with the ones in the manual. You can only put a couple of hundred pounds on the system with a platform, less than that if you will be using it off-road. And those limits are for all 3 mounts, they wouldn't give us a dynamic weight rating for the 2 bar system even though they sell one (and that's the 1st and 3rd bars).

I still think it's a pretty good system, but those details get annoying when you are trying to mount a heavy RTT.

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I'm sending my 2dr over to Front Runner so they can test for their extreme rack for the 2dr. I think the components will be very similar to the Gladiator, seeing how they have a very similar (if not the same roll cage). This will be a full length rack. I've been waiting for someone to release one, and had to call them and get the ball rolling. I drop off my vehicle on the 1st.
Sponsored