Sponsored

Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform Compatible With Kayak?

gothewild

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Is anyone running a Pioneer Platform with a kayak? If so, what additional accessories do you use for mounting? I can't seem to find much info on this subject. Pictures would be great. Thank you!
Sponsored

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Is anyone running a Pioneer Platform with a kayak? If so, what additional accessories do you use for mounting? I can't seem to find much info on this subject. Pictures would be great. Thank you!
I have the side rails for the Pioneer Platform, and mounted them on the 2nd to outermost beam each. I did this so I had room for attachments like the ARB awning on the outside. This ended up being perfect for a 12’ kayak. I mount it upside-down and the rails keep it from moving laterally. I use ratchet straps and go through the scupper holes to keep it from moving. 2 straps across the kayak from rail-to-rail, then a simple rope to tie the front to the bumper and it doesn’t move an inch while traveling to and from the river!

toblerthedog

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S6, Sting Gray JLUR
Not a kayak'er...but do have the Pioneer platform. You should be able to add Rhino's Pioneer Accessory Bar to your setup (43138B) - connecting via the c-channel - which would then allow you to add any number of their other accessories like luggage carriers, bike racks, etc....including one of their kayak holders (ie. Folding J Style Kayak Carrier for example).

Rhino-Rack Pioneer Accessory Bar
Rhino-Rack Folding J Style Kayak Carrier)

OP
OP
gothewild

gothewild

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Thank you both for the responses. @jgo138 That sounds very similar to how I mounted my Kayak to my Gobi rack. How easy is it to switch around those side rails? @toblerthedog I will look into those rails. I figured there was a way to mount those kayak mounts, just couldn't figure out which part would be necessary.

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Thank you both for the responses. @jgo138 That sounds very similar to how I mounted my Kayak to my Gobi rack. How easy is it to switch around those side rails? @toblerthedog I will look into those rails. I figured there was a way to mount those kayak mounts, just couldn't figure out which part would be necessary.
The side rails are kind of a pain to switch. You have to loosen the bolts on the end, plus the 4 supports, and slide them all down to either the front or back of the rack to get them out of the channel. It was more of a "set it and forget it" situation for me after I switched. I like the rails better where they are at- one channel in from the outside each. Either way they're mounted, they offer plenty of tie-down points- and work perfectly for my kayak as a bonus!

Sponsored

Flying Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-350
You should be able to add Rhino's Pioneer Accessory Bar to your setup (43138B)
Is anyone aware if Yakima’s SmarT-Slot Kits, that allow several of their racks to mount to T-slotted cross bars, will work with Rhino Rack’s Accessory Bar?

Also, are 20% off sales for Rhino Rack common like they are for Yakima & Thule?

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
I installed the Rhino “Backbone” rack with heavy-duty bars. Seems well built. The bars usually come with end caps, which you need, but one of my three bars did not, so I emailed customer service. I didn’t hear a peep from them for over five weeks... Two or three weeks into my wait I went on eBay and found a solution in Australia. It was expensive, and the shipping was very slow, but I still got the parts from Australia before hearing back from Rhino customer service.... which is why we’re looking for Kayak-mounting solutions which don’t rely on getting anything more from Rhino.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I have the side rails for the Pioneer Platform, and mounted them on the 2nd to outermost beam each. I did this so I had room for attachments like the ARB awning on the outside. This ended up being perfect for a 12’ kayak. I mount it upside-down and the rails keep it from moving laterally. I use ratchet straps and go through the scupper holes to keep it from moving. 2 straps across the kayak from rail-to-rail, then a simple rope to tie the front to the bumper and it doesn’t move an inch while traveling to and from the river!
I’m working on the same thing. I have the rhino rack pioneer platform, and just put a deposit Hobie Compass -12” kayak that is about 34” wide, and 65 pounds. Do you lay yours directly on the platform, and do you side load or rear load? I am lifted and on 37’s and trying to figure out the best option with rhino / pioneer set up. I am also considering the Rhino roller that attaches to the rear of the platform, or the Rhino T loader. Appreciate any details you can share. Thanks!

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
I’m working on the same thing. I have the rhino rack pioneer platform, and just put a deposit Hobie Compass -12” kayak that is about 34” wide, and 65 pounds. Do you lay yours directly on the platform, and do you side load or rear load? I am lifted and on 37’s and trying to figure out the best option with rhino / pioneer set up. I am also considering the Rhino roller that attaches to the rear of the platform, or the Rhino T loader. Appreciate any details you can share. Thanks!
I looked for a picture of everything loaded on the rack from last summer, but I couldn’t find any. My current kayak is 11.5’ and apparently 30” wide. I rear load it upside-down, and it has another 4” or so between rails on each side. I take the seat top off so it slides down the platform without getting snagged or caught up on something. Super easy to find a good balance point, then use ratchet straps through the scupper holes to tie down- it doesn’t move an inch after 30mi drives. I’d say hold off on the rollers until you try to rear load a few times. Even with your added height, rear loading shouldn’t be too bad. The real PITA is getting up on the sides and rear bumper to reach everything and tie it all down.

Also- if you don’t have the rails, I think you could use 4 of the Rhino Rack eye bolts to help keep it steady and create easy tie-down points.

Tomorrow I’m getting the new Crescent CK1 delivered. Same dimensions as your Hobie. I can’t wait to load up the dogs and head down some rivers!

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
I looked for a picture of everything loaded on the rack from last summer, but I couldn’t find any. My current kayak is 11.5’ and apparently 30” wide. I rear load it upside-down, and it has another 4” or so between rails on each side. I take the seat top off so it slides down the platform without getting snagged or caught up on something. Super easy to find a good balance point, then use ratchet straps through the scupper holes to tie down- it doesn’t move an inch after 30mi drives. I’d say hold off on the rollers until you try to rear load a few times. Even with your added height, rear loading shouldn’t be too bad. The real PITA is getting up on the sides and rear bumper to reach everything and tie it all down.

Also- if you don’t have the rails, I think you could use 4 of the Rhino Rack eye bolts to help keep it steady and create easy tie-down points.

Tomorrow I’m getting the new Crescent CK1 delivered. Same dimensions as your Hobie. I can’t wait to load up the dogs and head down some rivers!
Hey thanks so much, I really appreciate it. That gives a lot of assurance that this might not be as difficult as I imagine. From your experience, it’s no issue sliding it directly on the rack? My first kayak, and I was worried that sliding it directly on the rack (on the gunnels, hull facing up) might be bad for the kayak...though I think the hobie compass gunnels/rails are mostly flat. Sounds like I don’t need to worry about that very much. I don’t have rails, but I do have the eye bolts...i’ll Look at the rails anyhow. That CK1 plus dogs and rivers (and Jeep!) sounds like a great time...wish I was in TX too!!

jgo138

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Occupation
Education
Hey thanks so much, I really appreciate it. That gives a lot of assurance that this might not be as difficult as I imagine. From your experience, it’s no issue sliding it directly on the rack? My first kayak, and I was worried that sliding it directly on the rack (on the gunnels, hull facing up) might be bad for the kayak...though I think the hobie compass gunnels/rails are mostly flat. Sounds like I don’t need to worry about that very much. I don’t have rails, but I do have the eye bolts...i’ll Look at the rails anyhow. That CK1 plus dogs and rivers (and Jeep!) sounds like a great time...wish I was in TX too!!
Your Hobie won’t have any issues! They are great kayaks and extremely durable. Plastic is meant to take a beating from rocks and roots in the water, so rubbing it on the rack won’t phase it. Realistically you might see some light scratches from loading and unloading a lot, but surface scratches are inevitable. One major tip is to feed the straps through the scupper holes BEFORE loading it on the rack, so you don’t have to try and do it while it’s up there. Then it’s just a matter of finding the right tie-down points on the sides.

Remember to tie the front down to the bumper or something in that area. Even with the kayak balanced on the rack and properly secured, it’s always smart (and sometimes the law) to keep the front tied down. I have a small hoop/guard on the steel bumper, so that makes it easy. I just put a folded shop towel between the strap and the hood so it doesn’t mess up the paint. Just another thing to think about/plan for when hauling kayaks!
Sponsored