Sponsored

Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
The whole set adds quite a bit of wieght to the hard top. I'm guessing it is about 80 lbs total back bone and platform. I am seriously considering selling my platform and replacing it with HD bars. The platform is said to hold approximately 270 lbs of equipment while driving and if I remember correctly 800 while parked.
May I ask why you would switch to HD bars rather than the platform? I love the look of the platform. Is it mainly to save on weight? Thanks!
Sponsored

Mud Wasp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hella Yella 2019 JLU, Copperhead Pearl 2014 JK
Occupation
Transportation
Vehicle Showcase
May I ask why you would switch to HD bars rather than the platform? I love the look of the platform. Is it mainly to save on weight? Thanks!
It all about the weight of the top. It's hard to remove and reinstall the top at it's current weight without a electric lift.

texasbryan

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392; 2018 JLUR (sold); 2016 JKU (sold)
It all about the weight of the top. It's hard to remove and reinstall the top at it's current weight without a electric lift.
Gotcha. It also looks like you can only get the 72 inch pioneer rack for the JL. I wish it came in a 60 inch as well.

Mud Wasp

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hella Yella 2019 JLU, Copperhead Pearl 2014 JK
Occupation
Transportation
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha. It also looks like you can only get the 72 inch pioneer rack for the JL. I wish it came in a 60 inch as well.
I've seen a few mount the platform further back so it didn't interfere with the soft top that replaces the freedom panels. If you have the resources and time you could possible trim the platform down not sure if you could get it down to 60 inches.

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Does anyone have an ARB awning mounted with the rhino roof rack pioneer platform? Interested to see how/where the awning brackets where installed. Thanks.

Sponsored

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks man, this is exactly what I was looking for. You have the 6.5ft awning correct?
I'm gonna say its the 8.2'. The Rhino Rack is 72" Alone and this goes from tail gate to just shy of the windshield. 2500mmx2500mm (8.2x8.2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1 1613444703262

Last edited:

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I'm gonna say its the 8.2'. The Rhino Rack is 72" Alone and this goes from tail gate to just shy of the windshield. 2500mmx2500mm (8.2x8.2)

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1 1613444703262
Thanks Michael, appreciate the feedback. Are you satisfied with the size and mounting structure? I am between the 6.5ft and 8.2 ft. I understood that for the 8.2 feet you needed 3 brackets but it seems like you have it perfectly set up with two. Any complaints? Do you have a pic from the side?
Thanks again man.

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Any complaints? Do you have a pic from the side?
Thanks again man.
No Complaints. I have a third bracket but I've never used it, never needed to. I've drove all over the country in my 2013 JKU for a couple years, and its been on my JLU now for over a year. Works just fine with 2 brackets, but a 3rd is only better. I'm sure if your gonna hard wheel it, you may want a third, but most of my adventures are overland, not rock krawling.

I like the 8.2x8.2 as it is full coverage, provides a larger shade area, but the only downside is it is not a single person deploy awning. I have done it before, but about pinched my finger off in the process. the Smaller 6.5 would be a little easier to handle.

I also have the tent/screen that attaches to eat. Haven't used much, but plan to more as I do some overland adventures. Its easier to put up then the North Face 10 Man I have, and smaller overall package size.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1 1613514847208

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1 1613515015157

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1 1613523193730

Sponsored

Levin_tom

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLUR
No Complaints. I have a third bracket but I've never used it, never needed to. I've drove all over the country in my 2013 JKU for a couple years, and its been on my JLU now for over a year. Works just fine with 2 brackets, but a 3rd is only better. I'm sure if your gonna hard wheel it, you may want a third, but most of my adventures are overland, not rock krawling.

I like the 8.2x8.2 as it is full coverage, provides a larger shade area, but the only downside is it is not a single person deploy awning. I have done it before, but about pinched my finger off in the process. the Smaller 6.5 would be a little easier to handle.

I also have the tent/screen that attaches to eat. Haven't used much, but plan to more as I do some overland adventures. Its easier to put up then the North Face 10 Man I have, and smaller overall package size.

Thanks for the feedback Michael, appreciate the help. I will use the ARB universal awning brackets as well. Did you need any special hardware to attach them or just nut/washer/bolt?

ZeroFox

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
diabolicalinc.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Diabolical Inc
Vehicle Showcase
Did you need any special hardware to attach them or just nut/washer/bolt?
Just standard hardware. Just made sure to use a Nylon locknut and everything was Stainless.

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone who has the Backbone installed tell me the spacing of the 3 fittings? I am looking to install an iKamper Skycamper Mini and it is mounting bars are only 52" long I believe. Trying to see if I can use the crossbars vs the Pioneer Platform. TIA

Stumeat

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Undecided
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone who has the Backbone installed tell me the spacing of the 3 fittings? I am looking to install an iKamper Skycamper Mini and it is mounting bars are only 52" long I believe. Trying to see if I can use the crossbars vs the Pioneer Platform. TIA
Update for anyone following with the same question. It appears that it would JUST fit. But, since I am wanting to also install a few other items on the roof this being so close would leave no room for anything else. So, I am going with the Pioneer Platform.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I was thinking about getting this rack myself, so I have downloaded the instructions to see what a pain it may be to install..
I have to say I was pretty shocked about the limitations on cargo capacity.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack JL Backbone RJLB1 1615911794554

It appears that if you get the Pioneer Elevation platform you are likely going to exceed the weight limits should you wish to carry a rooftop tent. Not to mentioned anything else strapped to the sides.
It looks like it would only work with the 3 crossbars. And that is assuming you get a good light tent.
Any better options?
Sponsored