First Name
Stephen D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude | 2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I need help!

I cannot go with the Maximus-3 Roof rack because I have the American Adventure Lab MASS Cargo Shelf. It is using the brackets needed for the Maximus-3 Roof Rack Mount. https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-m-a-s-s-cargo-shelf/
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder 03

My only other option is to go with the Rhino-Rack Backbone system.

Now, will the Maximus-3 roof Ladder work with the Rhino-Rack Backbone System?
https://maximus-3.com/2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-roof-rack/maximus-3-jl-roof-rack-ladder
https://www.justforjeeps.com/rhino-...MI67GIyYD76AIV1AiICR247AEAEAQYBSABEgL-I_D_BwE

After some research, I have seen it done before but I don't know if the shop did any customization to it. I haven't seen this done anywhere except for this google image I found. Will this work out of the box if I purchase both items?

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder 01

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder 02
Sponsored

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Software & Coastal Engineer
It will work*, but I think you'll need to add a little to the lower mount. The ladder and mount are made specifically for their platform's height, and I believe the Backbone raises the pioneer platform a little.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder IMG_1083

Get longer bolts and some spacers (dealer's choice), and it should work without any major alterations.

* I'm assuming that they are both using the same width platform.

OP
OP
Karmic.Shift

Karmic.Shift

First Name
Stephen D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude | 2015 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
It will work*, but I think you'll need to add a little to the lower mount. The ladder and mount are made specifically for their platform's height, and I believe the Backbone raises the pioneer platform a little.

Get longer bolts and some spacers (dealer's choice), and it should work without any major alterations.

* I'm assuming that they are both using the same width platform.
Thank you! Do you notice any weak points for the ladder when you use it?

Does it push into the body panel or is it rock solid?

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
Thank you! Do you notice any weak points for the ladder when you use it?

Does it push into the body panel or is it rock solid?
You have to drill into the body to install it. The lower bracket is sandwiched between the hardtop and the tub and bolted together. I have not noticed any weak points. I've strapped a hammock to it without any worries.

Buuut, I have the Maximus-3 mounts as well. When you increase the bolt length, you are increasing the moment (more or less torque) on the lower bracket. Depending on how much you increase this, there can be problems. From the looks, it appears to need less than an inch increase, so the greater moment should be pretty minor.

Sponsored

AndrewB

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Rubicon
I have the Rhino Rack backbone with the low profile platform. I also installed the Maximus cargo ladder which fit perfectly, no mod needed. You will be fine.
Keith do you mind if I ask you for some photos with this? I'm in Australia and want to buy this ladder but I have the Rhino rack backbone system with the pioneer platform. Will it fit directly on? I'd really appreciate it if you could share some photos if you don't mind.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
Keith do you mind if I ask you for some photos with this? I'm in Australia and want to buy this ladder but I have the Rhino rack backbone system with the pioneer platform. Will it fit directly on? I'd really appreciate it if you could share some photos if you don't mind.
I have the Rhino Rack backbone with the low profile legs. I thought I would need to have some spacers on the ladder, but it fit perfectly as you can see in the pictures.

8879A09D-7BE4-4CF7-A969-4898F95E4A81.jpeg

6B39DD32-B3FA-41E9-866A-994E392B69D2.jpeg

B245B22C-7A9A-44A6-9FF0-F34108BA9004.jpeg

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU in a few months, Challenger Scatpack
I have the Rhino Rack backbone with the low profile legs. I thought I would need to have some spacers on the ladder, but it fit perfectly as you can see in the pictures.

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder B245B22C-7A9A-44A6-9FF0-F34108BA9004

Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder B245B22C-7A9A-44A6-9FF0-F34108BA9004

Did you have to drill into your backbone frame for the ladder bracket? If so, could you also post pics of that? I would be very appreciative. I’m getting mine delivered today and I’m a complete novice to all of this.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
Did you have to drill into your backbone frame for the ladder bracket? If so, could you also post pics of that? I would be very appreciative. I’m getting mine delivered today and I’m a complete novice to all of this.
Yes most definitely. I had this installed, as I am not confident in my skills when it comes to drilling into a $2000 hardtop!
Jeep Wrangler JL Rhino Rack Backbone WITH Maximus-3 Roof Ladder 17F849D6-22F8-422C-890F-B47517F8866B

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
This is great news! I'm installing my Backbone and rack this weekend and I really wanted the ladder but didn't think I could.

Sponsored

Brew211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURM, Tundra, 2022 JLU 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm so confused, I just called Maximus and they said I would need to add a 2" spacer and drill into the top of the body tub, not the hard top.

OminousSkitter

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
Occupation
You do need to drill into the top of the tub. You can infer this in Frogger's pictures.

Can't comment on the spacers other than if the height of the platform is different between Maximus's and the backbone, you will need to make up the difference. Frogger's pictures indicate they aren't needed.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
You do need to drill into the top of the tub. You can infer this in Frogger's pictures.

Can't comment on the spacers other than if the height of the platform is different between Maximus's and the backbone, you will need to make up the difference. Frogger's pictures indicate they aren't needed.
I think a lot depends on the legs you choose. I think I purchased the low profile legs.

frogger2020

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Wrangler JL
I'm so confused, I just called Maximus and they said I would need to add a 2" spacer and drill into the top of the body tub, not the hard top.
For the ladder, depending on the platform legs, you may need spacers. I think I have the low profile legs and spacers weren’t needed. You do need to drill two holes at the bottom inside of the hard top into the body tub as you can see in my photos.
Sponsored