Sponsored

RH Aluminum Skid Plate JLR 2DR Install

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I know this is a loaded question, but I purchased the RH Aluminum Full Skid Plate a while ago and I am trying to decide if I still want to install it with the other aftermarket parts I have installed since purchasing it. It is currently still sitting on the pallet it was delivered on.

This is my first Jeep, so I may have pulled the trigger on purchasing it before really understanding the trade-offs. I am looking for opinions based on my use case (weight, other aftermarket parts, wheeling), as well as, any information on possible modifications needed to make it work with the LOD Destroyer rocker sliders.

Current Jeep State:
- 2020 JL Rubicon (2DR)
- 2.5 Inch LIft
- 37 inch Nitto Ridge Grapplers
- RH LCA Skids
- Rancho front and rear Diff skids
- LOD Destroyer Sliders
- LOD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier

Driving:
- Not my daily driver
- I have only done Green trails (4) with the exception of one Blue. I am not sure I would ever do more than Blue. I did the Blue stock and have not had a chance to do a Blue since adding the lift and bigger tires.
- I have to drive it 2.5-3hrs on highway to any of the wheeling places near me.
- I know the 2DR has a low towing capacity, but have also thought about using it for local camping and pulling a small trailer.

Specific Questions/Concerns:
- With the lift and bigger tires, is there going to be much benefit to adding the full skid to ride blue trails versus the trade-offs of the additional weight, harder to clean, heat build up, etc?

- Has anyone installed this on the 2DR with the LOD Destroyer sliders? I found one post (think it was for the 4DR) where it worked but required some cutting of the skid. I am not sure if it would be the same for the 2DR. I am okay with cutting the skid plate to make it work, but would like to avoid modifying the sliders.

- Selling it locally might be difficult since 2DRs are not that popular. I figure it will be much easier to get a decent price if it is all still in the box and untouched, so I want to be sure it is worth it in my case and will fit without anything more than some cutting of the skid.
Sponsored

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
@lodoffroad or @ROCK HARD 4X4 would you be able to provide any input on how much modification would be needed (if any) to install the Rock Hard Full Aluminum skid plate with the LOD destroyer rock rails?

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
I went ahead and installed the skid plate. In case anyone else wants to do it with the LOD destroyer rock sliders, it works but I had to purchase two slightly longer bolts to make up for the thickness of the rock rail bracket the skid mounts over. They are different on both sides. One is a lag bolt and one is a fully threaded hex bolt. The fully threaded bolt I had to order online.

As for the skid itself, the paper instructions are terrible. They do not make sense and do not even remotely follow the video instructions. The video instructions are usable but are not specific to a 2dr. Even with the video instructions being okay, at some point they changed how things were mounted and neither the video or paper instructions are updated completely.

My kit was also missing hardware. Chad at Rock Hard was quick to ship replacements, but what he shipped was still missing some bolts so I purchased them myself. A few were easy to find but some had to be ordered because most places do not carry fully threaded bolts of longer sizes. The final issue was that I had to retap two holes.

I was assuming this install was going to be more straightforward. I know instructions are generally bad with aftermarket parts but I was disappointed with the missing hardware and the poorly taped holes for the price paid. The fact that I had to run around looking for bolts, purchase more bolts, and purchase a tap made it even more costly in both time and money. Rock Hard customer service was friendly and tried to be helpful. I would have been happier if the replacement hardware they sent was correct.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
How much and where did you lose ground clearance? (Not counting what you lost due to going over the rock rail brackets) Notice any difference wheeling due to the (alleged) chassis stiffening from the two solid steel crossmembers? Overall impressions? (Again, not counting the PIA install)

OP
OP

bluemokor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
The clearance loss is mostly from the center skid and the fuel tank skid. It is maybe a little more than 1.5" off of the frame rail. Hopefully the pictures give you some reference.

I have not had a chance to really test it. I did greens and a couple easy blues last weekend at Rausch Creek and never touched anything. I'm going again this weekend and plan to do a few more challenging trails. I'll post back about how it works out.

20200520_182437.jpg

20200520_180837.jpg

20200520_180916.jpg

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Thanks for the update and have fun this weekend!
Sponsored