Sponsored

Reviews Compilation: 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport, Sahara, Rubicon (w/ Videos)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Jl on 35s no lift .. he puts on 37s also but leaves it on a jack looks good
So, that's the 2nd confirmed JL delivery to a dealer. The other was a Sahara reported by Dealer Guy to have been delivered to an Atlanta area dealership. Looks to me like we don't have to wait until mid-January, and that they are going to start hitting showrooms now.
Sponsored

Thomastko

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler
So, that's the 2nd confirmed JL delivery to a dealer. The other was a Sahara reported by Dealer Guy to have been delivered to an Atlanta area dealership. Looks to me like we don't have to wait until mid-January, and that they are going to start hitting showrooms now.

Its in arizona where they did the first drive videos .. maybe jeep sent them one for videos purposes

billluke.com Maybe someone should give them a call and see.

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Sometimes dealers get early models for service training and display purposes. Probably none for sale yet.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Note: The guy that did the review for Motor1 used to write for Autoblog, where he mentioned that he's 6'5". He talks about interior room a bit, for those that are interested, in that review.
I see some videos and I think its all clear, then I see another and its too close to call.

One of the video talked about getting rid of all that sportbar foam from older days and replacing it with hard plastic like it was a boon... sigh.

I really am hopeful still though, cant wait to try one. Imho the 2 dr Rubicon is the best looking stock JeepI have ever seen, they really did a nice job

Cal_JLU

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future JLU
I see some videos and I think its all clear, then I see another and its too close to call.

One of the video talked about getting rid of all that sportbar foam from older days and replacing it with hard plastic like it was a boon... sigh.

I really am hopeful still though, cant wait to try one. Imho the 2 dr Rubicon is the best looking stock JeepI have ever seen, they really did a nice job
What is it that you're trying to figure out?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looking at published specs, the JK and JL are nearly identical on leg and head room. Of course, that assumes they measure the same way. It does appear that the center stack doesn't stick out as far on the JL. If that is the case, it will work better for my 6'5" frame. My right knee sits about 1/2" from the edge of the center stack in my JKU. If all else stays the same, but the center stack doesn't protrude as much, the JL will be an improvement for me.

If they have one at the Indianapolis Auto Show on December 26, I'll sit in it and will report back. If a demo drops by my dealership before then, I'll try and get a chance to get over there and sit in it.

desertbuzz

First Name
Abbas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
Probably because Active Noice Cancellation is a feature that works in the background and not something that stands out as actively working. That's good if nobody realized there was active noise cancelling going on; it means the technology is seamless and unobtrusive. We recently wrote up how it works in the background: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ation-feature-comes-to-jeep-wrangler-jl.2219/

Plus, this feature hasn't been highlighted by Jeep in its marketing or documents and we only know about it from the Order Guide, so I doubt many (if any) of the journalists at the drive events even know it exists.
I have fully read the post / article on ANC (loved it) :clap:... It would have been nice and informative if Jeep made a demonstration of its effectiveness by measuring db levels with ANC on and off ... kinda like how we do it on noise cancelling headphones.
What is surprising is that no reviews even mentioned it. I guess it takes a picky and hardcore Jeeper to nitpick on the tiniest details.

Kevman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara Granite Crystal, Audi A5
Finally a video of putting the soft top on. Still seems like a pain as those rear corners look kinda fickle.

BDJeep1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon on order
Finally a video of putting the soft top on. Still seems like a pain as those rear corners look kinda fickle.

I think the new soft top is an improvement and after you have put it on/off a few times you will much better at it. I got pretty quick with my current JL. The side window zippers never gave my problems but the rear window could be a pain lining them up when putting the window back in and also zipping up around the corners sometimes was a little challenging. The new top looks a decent bit faster to take down and slightly better to put back on. JMO from watching. The proof will be once we can get our hands on one.

Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
What is it that you're trying to figure out?
The sport forms a wide U shape around the drivers head, on the JK the edge to right of drivers head would knock me out rock off road or offset collision. I have a long head and seem to be able to whck stuff sideways some people dont, so it maybe a game of half inches.. will see

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm taking the 26th as vacation to go check it out. Here's hoping.
I emailed the organizers to ask if they knew if Jeep would have a JL there. I have not heard back. However, with production being that far along and with 800 preproduction vehicles out there, I'm going to take the chance and bet they'll have at least one JL or JLU. Maybe we'll bump into each other while we're climbing all over it. There's not much else there I'd like to see, unless they have a new Corvette ZR1.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
At last year's show I basically wandered around lamenting the boring cars. Yeah, the Miata booth set my heart aflutter, but where's my new S2000?

I did tell the FCA rep that I really, really hoped the JL's door lip would be taller than the JK. That's something I'm curious about. On my TJ, there's a deep enough step up to get out that I don't worry much about stuff flying out the open door at highway speeds.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
"Jeep says the Aisin is better isolated from vibration and noise. Okay, maybe. But it’s certainly no more fun to operate. The one we drove resisted slotting into gear and would not be rushed. Further, the clutch engaged with an abruptness that saw many experienced drivers stall the thing. As for the 3.6-liter, well, it’s a fine engine but not ideally suited for this application. It lacks low-end torque."
car and driver likes bmw and hondas what else needs to be said?
Sponsored